Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 AM

207 posts, read 535,602 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a house and I have thought about joining the Navy. But I want to keep the house because it's on my parents property. Will I be able to still keep that house if I ever get to travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 06:00 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
I recently bought a house and I have thought about joining the Navy. But I want to keep the house because it's on my parents property. Will I be able to still keep that house if I ever get to travel?
The Navy will give you training and a salary. You would be stationed where *they* need you to be. The fact that you own a house doesn't factor into it-if you want to keep it, you would have to continue making mortgage payments even though you're not in it out of your pay. There are no special programs to help you 'keep' a house in the situation you are describing.

Some service members like to buy a house (or occasionally houses) at particular duty stations and rent them out when they change duty stations to help defray the mortgage. You can do well at that, but it takes a particular mindset-not everyone is cut out to be a long-distance landlord.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:48 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,550 times
Pink-

GeorgiaTransplant is spot on. What you do with the salary you earn is up to you. It sounds as if your best option is to rent your place while you're (potentially) in the Navy.

Now in the military we do receive a housing allowance. However, that is for housing at your duty location. For example, you can't live in the barracks (what we call them in the Army) and draw a housing allowance simply because you own property elsewhere.

I have been a long distance landlord. I've never had a problem but I credit that to ensuring my home was well cared for, selecting responsibile tenants, and having a plan in place to deal with any potential house issues (HVAC maintenance, etc). Another option, for piece of mind, is to have a property manager handle everything for you. Assuming you would be at sea, where you would be very difficult to reach, that might be your best course of action. Or you can give a trust worthy family member, or friend, a limited power of attorney to act on your behalf to handle any issues with your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues