U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:59 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,493,009 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was thinking about this for a bit and thought how much I felt about these branch rivalries during the months leading up to my trip to basic training. Since I joined the Army, I felt at first that I was better than the Air Force and Navy and didn't get nearly as much credit as Marines...despite the Army doing most of the work

But, that was then, this is now. Having fought overseas and been around members of all services. I honestly don't feel and type of rivalry exists. Yes granted there are exceptions but on the whole I just don't feel it.

For example, I've been along side many Marines in Afghanistan and really, the only difference was the uniform. There hasn't been a single Marine whom I've met that I don't respect or like. The same goes with airmen and sailors. They are all pretty damn cool. It made me think that these rivalries only really exist among civillians.

I was just curious, does anybody else feel this way?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 PM

237 posts, read 521,739 times
I think it depends on the individual and their exposure to other branches while they're in. I had a lot of experience w/ other branches through my upbringing and military job. It was easy to see that each service is a 'spoke in the wheel' that makes up the military as a whole. All hands on deck type of thing.

As for those who go out of their way to do it on a daily basis with a side of supremacy, I think they have more of a self-esteem issue as to their place in the world itself. :-)

Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
I was fortunate to work with members of all five branches and have to say I found it very rewarding. Yeah, sure, some good-natured ribbing goes on. Heck, even as a USAF retiree, my fellow veterans and I have a good time with some friendly rivalry. There are some civilians that have no clue about the differences in the service's missions...

Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,815,258 times
When I went through basic training (Air Force member) and then tech school at Lackland AFB in Texas, we always tried to sing a louder cadence than our counterparts. Sometimes we gave the mean looks to each other but when the day was done, we were all bowling and shooting pool and kicking back with a beer together. It was a friendly rivalry with alot of mutual respect. We were all in it together.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 AM

5,666 posts, read 4,210,338 times
We (Army) 'extract the urine' out of the other services and they do the same with us. It's all good natured and starts from day one and still happens around me at the moment.

I'm on a combined forces base at the moment with Royal Marines (Crap Hats), RAF (Blue Jobs or Air Taxis) and RAF Regiment soldiers (Rock Apes).

The biggest rivalries are between different regiments of the same type:

Paras (me) and RMC, both think we're the best (elite) infantry units... i wont get into that now
Royal Armoured Corps and Household Cavalry (tankies)
Also many infantry regiments have rivalries with other regiments in the same division, those in the Guards Division, Scottish Division, Queens etc. All good natured though.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,288,885 times
I believe the Rivalries are alive and kicking. We (all Branches) believe we do more work over the next Branch. It is Established the Marine Corps will always be the premier fighting Force, Ohh Rah! Personally I enjoy working with all branches however it appears the Air Force and Coast Guard receive the most flack.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 PM

9,163 posts, read 16,510,896 times
I think you (OP) are right on. I've been out for 40+ years (Nam vet), but I doubt it's changed much. I was USAF, but some of my best friends (and neighbors) were Army. They had different jobs than me and had camp-outs now and then, while I just had a 7-4 job, but there were no real rivalries.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM

960 posts, read 1,819,111 times
I remember some jabbing between my dad and one of his brothers, dad in the Army and my uncle the Marines. My uncle and I had the samething when I was in the Navy. My father in law is retired Air Force and we jab at each other from time to time, all in fun and mutual respect.
I've seen these rivalries stay good natured and I've seen it get physical a few time, usually when alcohol was involved.

Now as a veteran I see it mostly at American Legion meetings between friends and it never goes too far.

At work once a guy that had never served in the military told me I ranked last for not serving in his "favorite" branch.
We exchanged words and the boss seperated us.

If active duty or vets want to engage in some light hearted teasing I see no harm. Even if civilians want that's fine too.
But to me civilan to active duty or veteran it's criticism, not rivalry and that's a different kettle of fish.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
My father in law is retired Air Force and we jab at each other from time to time, all in fun and mutual respect.
And some people never understand the "respect" aspect...

Rich

Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 PM

519 posts, read 1,824,931 times
My husband and two daughters are Soldiers. My son is a Marine. They tease the heck out of each other. While my Soldiers out number my Marine 3-1, he always says that's because it takes 3 Soldiers to = one Marine. It's all in good fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues