U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 06:27 AM

5,666 posts, read 4,216,570 times

Advertisements

For those that are interested.

BBC News - US to remove troops from Okinawa

"The US and Japan have reached a deal to remove some 9,000 US Marines from Okinawa, where US forces have been stationed since World War II.
But the fate of the controversial Futenma airbase on the island has yet to be agreed, and 10,000 US service personnel will still be stationed across Japan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,577,238 times
On the surface this seems like such a simple story, Okinawans want Marines gone, so Marines agree to leave, but they've wanted the military off of Okinawa for decades and a significant presence will still remain. So what is the catalyst that is causing the Marines to leave now? Now they want to leave.

With cutbacks on the way and the future of military spending uncertain the Corps is playing a game to ensure it's survival and relavence. Marine Corps bases stateside are pretty much safe, simply b/c we don't maintain a lot of bases. I can't think of one that's expendable. The last Marine Corps base to shut down was El Toro, but even that was only so NAS Miramar could became MCAS Miramar. Any future cuts would likely come from overseas forces. If they ae all sitting in one spot, Okinawa, it's alot easier to cull them or shut down the base all together. With the President's focus on Asia, the Corps s going to use that insert Marines in a host of other "strategic" locations like Australia UPDATE 2-First Marines in Australia as U.S. ramps up Asia-Pacific focus | Reuters , Guam, and the Philipines Marines poised for more Philippine tours - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times . Strengthening connections and exercises with other allies in the area like the ROK Marines.

In short this has more to do with the Marines wanting to expand throughout Asia for the good and selfish reasons.
1. Increase capability to respond to threats in Asia and return Marines to it's maritime roots

2. More closely tie the Marine Corps to the US national defense and foreign policy strategy to stave of cuts and get it's share of DOD dollars as money gets tight

edit: But of course, Governor of the Prefect and the Japanese PM will use this for their own political gain as well.

Last edited by macjr82; 04-29-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,169,281 times
Due to Budgetary Constraints TEAM AMERICA WORLD POLICE is no longer available.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,488,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The last Marine Corps base to shut down was El Toro
MCAS Tustin shut down at the same time.

What will the all the residents of Whisper Alley do without the USMC there?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,577,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
MCAS Tustin shut down at the same time.

What will the all the residents of Whisper Alley do without the USMC there?
I know, they combined to make Miramar. The only reason I didn't reference b/c nobody ever seems to mention or remember Tustin The point stands that even when those closings, it was more a transfer of assets than a scuttling of them and the current move is the Corps, once again, playing a shell game. As Harry Truman once said (and not as a compliment), "The Marine Corps......have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin's."

Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,488,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I know, they combined to make Miramar. The only reason I didn't reference b/c nobody ever seems to mention or remember Tustin The point stands that even when those closings, it was more a transfer of assets than a scuttling of them and the current move is the Corps, once again, playing a shell game. As Harry Truman once said (and not as a compliment), "The Marine Corps......have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin's."
I was on Tustin, that's the only reason I brought it up. The airwing side of the base was total Recon Platoon (also not a compliment).

Yes, I would assume that any comparison to Stalin would not be meant as a compliment. Unless, of course, you are comparing moustaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues