U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM

923 posts, read 2,075,071 times

Advertisements

So me and my friend got into a heated discussion about her route to enlist in the Army.

Facts:

She is British

She is currently here on a J1 visa - no 2 year residency requirement

She is taking a 2 year nursing course in FL, funded by her father - she will change from a J1 visa to an F1 visa.

She persists that she is surrounded my military personnel and she says she knows of others on J1 or F1 who have enlisted in the Army.

She is adamant that come 2014 when she finishes her nursing course that she can enlist, she says, they look at it CASE by CASE, even though it says PROGRAM ON HOLD.

So say she can or does enlist after doing her nursing course on an F1 visa, does she have a path to U.S citizenship???
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM

24,129 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Website: The Military Accessions Vital to National Interest Program: What It Is and How It Can Be Made Relevant

A lot can happen by 2014...

Citizenship for Military Members

From the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Web Site:
Members and certain veterans of the U.S. armed forces may be eligible for naturalization through their military service under Section 328 or 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
Go here for more information: USCIS - Citizenship for Military Members

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-14-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,120,969 times
Although MAVNI is listed as on hold, anyone intersted should apply. The language program is ALWAYs seeking people capable of speaking targeted languages and DOD is ALWAYS recruiting. If the military enlistment route isn't open, the civilian route with DOD or defense contractors still have the welcome mat out. The healtcare area is a bit more tricky as with the current economy, they are having no problems with healthcare proffesionals looking to join the military to have a job.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 05-14-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Website: The Military Accessions Vital to National Interest Program: What It Is and How It Can Be Made Relevant

A lot can happen by 2014...

Citizenship for Military Members

From the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Web Site:
Members and certain veterans of the U.S. armed forces may be eligible for naturalization through their military service under Section 328 or 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
Go here for more information: USCIS - Citizenship for Military Members

Rich
thanks for the link.

I read it.

In general, an applicant for naturalization under Section 328 of the INA must:
  • Be age 18 or older
  • Have served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for at least 1 year and, if separated from the U.S. armed forces, have been separated honorably
  • Be a permanent resident at the time of examination on the naturalization application
  • Be able to read, write, and speak basic English
  • Have a knowledge of U.S. history and government (civics)
  • Have been a person of good moral character during all relevant periods under the law
  • Have an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and be well disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under the law
  • Have continuously resided in the United States for at least five years and have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application, UNLESS the applicant has filed an application while still in the service or within 6 months of separation. In the latter case, the applicant is not required to meet these residence and physical presence requirements.
So I'm wondering if she does go this route, how she's going to be able to get PR from an F1 student visa?!!?

Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Although MAVNI is listed as on hold, anyone intersted should apply. The language program is ALWAYs seeking people capable of speaking targeted languages and DOD is ALWAYS recruiting. If the military enlistment route isn't open, the civilian route with DOD or defense contractors still have the welcome mat out. The healtcare area is a bit more tricky as with the current economy, they are having no problems with healthcare proffesionals looking to join the military to have a job.
I read about this also, but she only speaks English lol

Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 AM

24,129 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Speaking another language is not a requirement to go to the Defense Language Institute (DLI). It is based on the needs of the military and the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery) as well as other test scores.

Rich

Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,120,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
If she does not speak another language, she's pretty much limited to the healthcare part as the language is for those who are fluent. I haved a coworker who;s daughter is in the USA going to collage and she has been courted by the Army and other US agencies due to her being fluent in a language along with several local dialects or slangs of that language. Despite the "On Hold", it does not apply if they want and are recruiting you. But the healthcare isn;t that tight anymore so she would need to be in one really specialized field with a current or projected shortage for DOD to select a candidate from that progaram over a regular recruit.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If she does not speak another language, she's pretty much limited to the healthcare part as the language is for those who are fluent. I haved a coworker who;s daughter is in the USA going to collae and she has been courted by the Army and other US agencies due to her being fluent in a language along with several local dialects or slangs of that language. Despite the "On Hold", it does not apply if they want and are recruiting you. But the healthcare isn;t that tight anymore so she would need to be in one really specialized field with a current or projected shortage for DOD to select a candidate from that progaram over a regular recruit.

I took a look on here:

Available HCP positions for FY 2012 Army MAVNI program

NURSE CORPS
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners (66CM8)
Nurse Anesthesia (66F)

She will be neither of the above 2 when she finishes her course. I cannot remember the exact nursing course title that she will take up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues