Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,873 times

Advertisements

They Started taking applications today. Go through VONAPP

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefi...geLabel=Vonapp

The VRAP offers 12 months of training assistance to Veterans who:
  • Are at least 35 but no more than 60 years old
  • Are unemployed
  • Received an other than dishonorable discharge
  • Are not be eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g.: the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance)
  • Are not in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability
  • Are not enrolled in a federal or state job training program
More Info Here: VOW to Hire Heroes Act 2011 - For Employers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 04:10 PM
N1G

1 posts, read 2,748 times
Hi,

Do you know if one can use online training for this new program?

Thanks
Bob

Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 AM

I really do not know but just as a guess I would say yes. Reason: The money is put to your bank account instead of straight to the College. As long as the courses fit for the High Demand Occupation you are getting educated or trained in.

The Post 911 GI Bill has a facebook page that they also give info out about this program. They really don't seem to answer many questions though. Maybe there is a number buried in the original link that you can call.

I am going trades so no classes for me are online.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:11 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
They Started taking applications today. Go through VONAPP

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefi...geLabel=Vonapp

The VRAP offers 12 months of training assistance to Veterans who:
  • Are at least 35 but no more than 60 years old
  • Are unemployed
  • Received an other than dishonorable discharge
  • Are not be eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g.: the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance)
  • Are not in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability
  • Are not enrolled in a federal or state job training program
More Info Here: VOW to Hire Heroes Act 2011 - For Employers
This particular assistance would not help myself or 80% of my Marines. The age limit alone cuts us out the picture.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 AM

391 posts, read 840,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
This particular assistance would not help myself or 80% of my Marines. The age limit alone cuts us out the picture.
My friend either, a Vietnam Navy vet. He turned 61 this year and an unemployed teacher with a masters degree.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 AM

I seen a bunch of people complain about the age thing on the Facebook page. Both above and below the cutoffs. I have no clue as to how they came up with the number.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Stars and Stripes Article

"Since opening the application process two weeks ago, VA officials have received about 12,000 resumes from veterans. VA Undersecretary for Benefits Allison Hickey said nearly 80 percent of the applicants have been accepted into the program."

VA pleased with early response to Veterans Retraining Assistance Program - News - Stripes

Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
I just had a Vet Rep tell me about this earlier this week and I applied but did not qualify because underemployed is worse than unemployed when seeking assistance.

To be unemployed, you must not have a job at all. A very part time job will count against you. NO. JOB. at all. You must be available to work and you must be actively seeking work.

You will get $1400 a month for a year for going to school.

However, at one part of the year, it only goes to 30,000 or something people and in the later part of the year to 54,000 across the nation.

So, you are competing against a LOT of people and there is no guarantee you will get it.

Also be sure you have not received any Federal assistance in the past six months or you will not qualify.

It's like they put out a feel good program but don't want any vets to actually get it.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 PM

It gets worse Three Wolves.. as some are finding out. Must be a Vocational School or a 2 year school... as in it cannot have even 1 Four Year Program. Online Schoolers are still without much info if they would get anything.

I think there are going to be questions from Higher up people (i.e. Congress) that someone in the VA is going to have to answer... or point a finger to someone else.

I am seeing that G.I. Bill students got their Spring Break BAH cut dramatically. Talking something like going from $1500 BAH to a $150 check... without notice and even that was paid late.

Man.... VA has some problems going on.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 AM
JAQ

74 posts, read 233,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
I seen a bunch of people complain about the age thing on the Facebook page. Both above and below the cutoffs. I have no clue as to how they came up with the number.
Logically, i'm sure they calculated the ages that are employed the most, so less money would be spent with VRAP.

But hey, i'm just a 25 year old unemployed OIF Vet that could use the extra help. But what do I know right? I was never asked if a program like this would help after my service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues