U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times

Advertisements

"It remains a critical mission here in Texas to do everything we can to help service members transition back into civilian life," Perry said during a ceremony involving representatives from the Texas Workforce Commission, Texas Veterans Commission and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Signed into law by Perry last summer, the $3 million workforce development program aims to help prior service members translate their military training into college credit at Texas community colleges and speed up the transition from service member to student to civilian employee. So far, said CTC chancellor Thomas Klincar, the program's "primary focus is on health careers because of high demand, good wages and relatively short training and education cycles to completion. At Temple College, for example, veteran medics can participate in the accelerated emergency services program, allowing them to bypass redundant classes and enter the civilian emergency services field faster."

Perry shows support for College Credit for Heroes at college

You don't have to be a Texas resident either. [Governor] Perry said College Credit for Heroes is just one of the many benefits Texas is using to lure veterans to the Lone Star state.

"Why would you not want the men and women who have shown their maturity (through military service) to be citizens of this state? We go out of our way," he said.

Here's the website where you can get an estimate of the college credits you'll get for your military experience:

https://www.collegecreditforheroes.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,289,077 times
Service members deserve tens of credit hours for their Service and Multiple schooling(S). We're speaking about upper level credits! Once upon a time a few schools offer Portfolio(s) real life experience for credits.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Very impressive! Sounds like a win-win situation. Our state would never do anything like that but I think I will send the article to my congresswoman.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM

24,131 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Since 1945, the American Council on Education (ACE) has provided a collaborative link between the U. S. Department of Defense and higher education through the review of military training and experiences for the award of equivalent college credits for members of the Armed Forces.
ACE | Military Programs
Rich

Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 AM

30,737 posts, read 16,975,632 times
Look around at colleges, most all will give you credit for military experience.

I found the most given a DeVry University.

They transferred my entire AA degree and transferred another 30 college credits from my military to bother upper and lower class requirements, 7 more classes and I'll have my BA in Technical Management.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:41 PM

10 posts, read 15,713 times
I joined the navy with 20 college credits from cal state university and I got 25 (elective) credits from corps school and field med
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues