U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 8,287 times

Advertisements

Am I the only vet to have nonrecorded TDYS with the Air Force during the Viet Nam era? For some reason there is no record of my TDY's during the ten years I had of service. This has cost me several promotions as well as time served in Viet Nam. We called ourselves Nixon Raiders because we just jumped on aircraft and were TDY for six months. We were replacements for duties as Civil Engineers and loaded bodies on aircraft going back to the US. Usually assigned to Civil Engineers under Red Horse Sqds. We were trained at Cannon AFB and most were assigned to SAC during Rolling Thunder 1 and 2. If there are others still out there please let me know. I now have Agent Orange and need proof that I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 PM

390 posts, read 818,228 times
Ronald, believe I understand what you are going through. I am retired Air Force and served on Okinawa at Kadena then Naha from '67-'69. I also was hired by a senior US Senator here in New Mexico to be a Liaison for veterans. In that arena I was involved in reconstructing military records. You may or may not know that there was a fire in St Louis, I believe in the 70's, that burned many military records at their storage center. That said, I would go to the office of your senior senator from AZ and explain the problem. If they are worth their salt they will help you reconstruct records. There may be unit histories in storage etc. Their may be old manifests from your deployment. Cannon AFB may have records in storage as well as bases you were assigned to in VN and these records may be available. The senators office will have very quick access to these records. Veterans organizations will also help rebuild these records and pay a full time person to do this. If you still have contact with others you served with you can ask them to write a letter helping to describe the experience and how they have knowledge of you.

Again, I do understand your situation but there can be solutions. Be sure you keep everything from that time period including old shot records and possible pictures. There are records someplace it is just a matter of location. I wish you well and hope this is solved soon. Thanks for your service my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues