Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohj81 View Post
Well, certainly varying opinions, to say the least!. From "no problem, go see a recruiter now" to "you'll be washed out in 6 months so don't bother". That's quite the range, and I realize I probably wasn't very specific on the details.

I said I haven't been a follower before, and that is true, I haven't. I never said I couldn't be or wasn't willing to. I recognize that it will be a significant change, and the whole point of coming here and asking opinions was because I am willing to have it. Honestly, if there's something I like even less than just being a follower is being told that I absolutely can't do something or can't adapt when I need to. I can.

In any case, I guess I was more looking for opinions from people who faced similar challenges and how it worked out for them. I can't be the only one who has this kind of history.
You're not the only guy with your history. I identify somewhat.

I've got 12 years of military service under my belt, and I've been successful with promotions and what not, but I'm not the typical Army guy. I had ZERO interest in the military growing up. I also have a rebellious personality -- youngest son of four, hellbent on going on my own way, yadda yadda.

The biggest thing the Army has taught me is the importance of rules, rank, structure and discpline. I think your age and your physical abillities shouldn't be an isssue .. I can work with an older guy who hasn't been very physical up until now; what I can't work with is someone who is not willing to obey orders, immediately, without question. People who think they know better than the leader get their teams killed. There comes a time in your military career when you gain enough experience to offer useful feedback to senior ranking people, but you won't be there for awhile. Your job as a recruit and new soldier will be to watch, observe, do. If you think you can do that, come on and give it a try. If you don't, for my sake, don't join my team. I only need people who want to be on the Army team around me. If you can't follow our customs and traditions. Stay away. Plenty of people can. Let them serve in your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
If you go into the military, pick an MOS (career field) that will give you good training for a civilian job. There aren't many jobs for tankers or artillery men after the military.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Well, certainly varying opinions, to say the least!. From "no problem, go see a recruiter now" to "you'll be washed out in 6 months so don't bother". That's quite the range, and I realize I probably wasn't very specific on the details.

I said I haven't been a follower before, and that is true, I haven't. I never said I couldn't be or wasn't willing to. I recognize that it will be a significant change, and the whole point of coming here and asking opinions was because I am willing to have it. Honestly, if there's something I like even less than just being a follower is being told that I absolutely can't do something or can't adapt when I need to. I can.

In any case, I guess I was more looking for opinions from people who faced similar challenges and how it worked out for them. I can't be the only one who has this kind of history.
I never was much of a follower either, but still managed to put in nearly 15 years. If they hadn't caught up with the fact that I am nearly deaf in one ear, I would have stayed for at least 20.

But, I did stay in trouble a lot. I was pending courts-martial twice and got a field grade Article 15, though not all of that was related to not following. The usual punishment for that was KP, extra duty, getting the "****te" jobs or having a pass denied. They have their...ways...of making the point that obedience is necessary.

However, and I can't stress this enough, being a non-conformist and incessant questioner of those above me was a HUGE factor in going from PV-1 to CPT. Believe it or not, it was a genuine boon to my career because there really are times when somebody needs to step up and say, "No. That's stupid." And, once you get the reputation of being one who thinks outside the mainstream, who questions the status quo, you'll find that one of two things are going to happen:

1. You'll end up in jail or,

2. You'll find that you're not alone and that alternate opinions are not only desired by some in the chain of command, but solicited. On 3 different occasions, I was ASKED to take over another company because my superiors knew I would go in there, question everything and shake them up. They WANTED someone who wouldn't blindly follow the established pattern and create something different. It worked every time.

The point is that the Army always needs the non-conformist or it will rust in place. From Winfield Scott to U.S. Grant to Billy Mitchell to John Paul Vann, non-followers have been at the forefront of needed changes.

Of course, that sometimes comes at a high personal cost, but an occasional maverick is absolutely essential.

As a new Private, all you'll mostly do is get in trouble, so you'll have to learn when and how to do things until you rise to a position where you can affect changes which are needed. And, it must be noted that there are times when you can only salute and say, "Yes, sir." Learning where that point is can make the difference between being a respected and admired soldier who has ideas someone wants to hear or becoming just another jail bird with a bad paper discharge. There's a fine line between constructive disobedience and mutiny.

If you're going to have "difficulty" following, you'd better learn where that line is and keep your mouth shut until you do.

But, for God's sake..don't do it either in basic training or under fire. Do what you're told and question later.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Excellent advice from West Cobb, Baldrick, Boompa's "don't have to unlearn bad habits", and the others who posted similar feedback. I can reiterate some of their insights and add some...

How you've described yourself isn't that different from a lot of people - either in the military or not - especially these days. Lots of people find new directions at atypical times. There also are plenty of acceptable reasons for joining the military - and some of those reasons can conflict with each other - you can be patriotic without being rabidly nationalistic.

I've known a number of guys who joined late and are still serving. Besides the age factor, my husband fits your description well - not a jock, socially liberal, definitely not a follower. He's always been extremely independent and strong willed. When he gets a notion to do something, he figures out a way to make it happen. He served over 20 years - both enlisted and as an Officer - and now is working as a civilian for the Army.

Personally, I believe the key to making all that work has less to do with your physical ability (although it definitely is a good idea to start running/working out now) than it does with your mental ability. You have to be mentally strong - and it helps a whole lot and opens more doors if you're also smart. Being smart will open up more interesting MOS for you - they vary wildly and some even require a little more moxy. It's important to choose the right MOS because switching into the good ones later can be a crap shoot. Either way, you don't want to be sitting over in Korea guarding missiles.

Another thing to consider, that can help some with the whole following orders thing, is going straight in as an Officer instead of enlisted. If you have a college degree that will help, and there's always OCS (Officer Candidate School). Ask the recruiters about that and don't sign anything until you've gotten a second (or more) opinion and a good night's or two sleep on it. Regardless of what you choose, you'll first have to pay some dues and just do whatever the hell they tell you to.

Let us know what you decide!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Military doesn't discriminate Age too much (as there are waviers) moreso the army! It seems the army possess older service members in general *never seen so many
40yo Jews (jr enlisted warriors).
I think you would be great for the military just not a conventional Job (supply,cav,admin,truck,etc..)
I went through the pipeline with a many guys such as yourself and they did well.
Basic service members will tell you otherwise however seems you would fit into units outside the Conventional Occupation.

Marine Corps could be a option if you absoultely must do something Conventional may as well be with the best. Ohh Rahh!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I do not know, if you would be a good fit, or not, until after you give it a try.

Try it !

Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,861 times
I think everything has been covered but I will say this-- if you join the Army, or any service for that matter, remember that you asked to join the Army. The Army didn't ask to join you. You are the one that needs to conform--not the Army.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Well, certainly varying opinions, to say the least!. From "no problem, go see a recruiter now" to "you'll be washed out in 6 months so don't bother".
Of course there are varying opinions. We have about 560,000 active duty U.S. Soldiers (That is U.S. Army personnel), and about another 550,000 Reserve and National Guard, some of which are on active duty, deployed...

We have U.S. Military (All Branches) in about 150 countries... We currently have over 50 U.S. Army installations in Germany. Here is the list if you are curious: List of United States Army installations in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Currently we have over 12,500,000 living U.S. Army Veterans.

There are about 40 career fields in the Army which incorporate about 150 different jobs...

So when you asked "So what's the advice" I said - "Go see an Army recruiter, right away.... ". It could take a year to get in. You need to take tests and get a medical. Basically, only the recruiter can truly guide you at this point. Otherwise you could end up with several million opinions if all U.S Army veterans responded...

Are you really still interested? Check out this site: U.S. Army Careers and Jobs | GoArmy.com

Rich

Old 05-28-2012, 03:55 PM

187 posts, read 442,891 times
I say go for it!

I remember the older guys in Basic Training. They did well! The DS's picked on them more, but so what? Just play the game.

Good Luck with your decision.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
So are you a typical guy or an atypical guy? Those are pretty much the opposite.

When I was in boot camp, there were many "older" guys and they did fine. IMO, most of any branch of the military is mental. There obviously is a physical component but as long as you can handle it mentally you should be fine. Don't know how recruiters do it where you live but we met with ours every Saturday and got a little taste of what training was like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues