Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I'm a U.S citizen by virtue of my mother.
My father is from an undeveloped country. I was born in that country, and raised partially in it. So, in that sense, I'm not strictly American. I'm also a citizen of my father's country (or at least I have the ability to be one).

Personally, I consider myself bi-national. But that's getting into personal ideologies that don't really matter in the greater scheme of things...not to me anyway.

But I imagine it would to the U.S. military.

I've recently realized that I'd probably have a ceiling, simply because of my past.

If I were to join, I think I'd join as a 2nd Lieutenant. Where would I top off?

And, further, should I be limited in that respect? It's more of any ideological question, I could easily see the arguments for both sides.

(I have a lot of family from both countries, none of whom I'm willing to break ties with)

Last edited by dub dub II; 05-31-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
You are either a U.S. Citizen or you are not a citizen.... That is what matters...

Your tests scores, ASVAB scores, your education, your physical and medical conditions will affect your getting into the military...

You must be a citizen to be commissioned as an Officer.

I suggest you go through these Recruiters web sites and learn about the U.S. Military -

How old are you?

Rich

Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
If you are qualified to enlist and qualified for a commission, there is no limit to how high you can go. That's determined solely by your abilities, including the ability to network.

In terms of race, ethnicity etc, the armed forces are color blind.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:03 PM

I'm 22.

If I'm willing to die for this country, I'd hope the opportunity to advance in society would be assured.

My question is, how would anyone know I'm not a spy? What internal measures are in place to make sure people in my situation don't screw the country over? I'd hope some, I don't like the idea of it being a free for all...it's why I'd be Ok with a cieling, even if it were to affect me negatively.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
If I'm willing to die for this country, I'd hope the opportunity to advance in society would be assured.
Your performance will greatly affect your advancement.

Quote:
My question is, how would anyone know I'm not a spy?
Background investigations of various types are conducted on all military members. The Defense Security Service (DSS) is an agency of the United States Department of Defense (DoD). Within areas of DoD responsibility, DSS is tasked with facilitating personnel security investigations, supervising industrial security, and performing security education and awareness training. Here is their web site, become informed: Defense Security Service (DSS)

Who was the last U.S. Military member who was caught for spying on the U.S.?

Quote:
What internal measures are in place to make sure people in my situation don't screw the country over?
There are a lot of people overlooking you and your performance.

Quote:
I'd hope some, I don't like the idea of it being a free for all...it's why I'd be Ok with a cieling, even if it were to affect me negatively.
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Rich

Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Hey,
I'm a U.S citizen by virtue of my mother.
My father is from an undeveloped country. I was born in that country, and raised partially in it. So, in that sense, I'm not strictly American. I'm also a citizen of my father's country (or at least I have the ability to be one).

[...]

(I have a lot of family from both countries, none of whom I'm willing to break ties with)
How high could you go?

John Shalikashvili - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"John Malchase David Shalikashvili [...] was a United States Army General who served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from 1993 to 1997. He was born in Warsaw, Poland.
Shalikashvili was the first foreign-born soldier to become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff."

How high would you go? If you did come in as a Second Lieutenant [btw, what makes you so certain you would be selected as an officer if you're not already in an officer-producing program such as ROTC? There are a boatload of people applying to get into the military these days, and it's very difficult], probably not very much past the middling field-grade years unless you get rid of the idea that

Quote:
I consider myself bi-national. But that's getting into personal ideologies that don't really matter in the greater scheme of things...not to me anyway.

Those personal ideologies matter in the greater scheme of things to the US Government, very very much, particularly when it comes to security clearances.

You will have more difficulty getting a Top Secret clearance, which is virtually a requirement past Lieutenant Colonel, unless you really embrace loyalty to the US and only to the US.

Depending on the country, maintaining those foreign ties presents at least the possibility that you may have foreign influence (in other words, some reason to spy for or pass information to foreign countries, or can be blackmailed by threats against those people you have ties to); it's not impossible to overcome that, but it's going to raise some concerns.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,771 times
If you become an officer, assuming you meet the requirements, you are going to reach a point where you can no longer claim dual citizenship. I believe you can have a secret clearance with dual citizenship but you could never have a TS clearance. Having at least a secret clearance is mandatory for officers, regardless of branch. As you progress up through the ranks, you are most likely going to have a duty position where a higher clearance is required.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
[btw, what makes you so certain you would be selected as an officer if you're not already in an officer-producing program such as ROTC? There are a boatload of people applying to get into the military these days, and it's very difficult]
Hmm..
I wasn't aware of this. For some reason I thought that if you met basic requirements they'd have a place for you. Could you elaborate on what they are looking for specifically? Beyond a degree, a decent gpa, and a high asvab score? How would I make myself more competitive?

I find it funny that an institution would refuse to let me join, for whatever reason, and then turn around and tell me I must join or go to jail...

Thanks for this info, though.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I find it funny that an institution would refuse to let me join, for whatever reason, and then turn around and tell me I must join or go to jail...
I don't find it funny at all...

The draft was eliminated with the U.S. Military in 1973.

The U.S. Military does not have to accept you...

Why don't you try serving those other countries you appear show allegiance to?

I think you have your answers, your next step might be to go ask your questions face to face with a real recruiter. They will be able to answer a lot of your questions. I would suggest you start with
a United States Marine Corps Recruiter...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-01-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues