U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 PM

39 posts, read 94,388 times

Advertisements

My daughter's father was in the army (active duty) for 5 years before getting accepted into the Green to Gold (officer) program. He already has an associate's degree. After getting accepted, he got his discharge papers. He faxed those over to the child support center, saying that he wanted a modification because he no longer had an income. I was always under the impression that they got paid for the program and in assessment camp. He tried to get out of paying in the past and I don't know if this is another attempt. I've already spent thousands of dollars in lawyer fees and can't afford to do that every time he finds an out. My daughter is disabled and I need to be putting that money in a savings account for her. Is there a person I can talk to or a number I can call to find out if he is getting paid? I haven't gotten anything in 10 months now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 PM

24,138 posts, read 38,906,904 times
Not sure. There are two basic options:

• Green to Gold Scholarship Option — For Soldiers who are considering leaving Active Duty to attend college.
  • Green to Gold Active Duty Option — For Soldiers who want to remain on Active Duty and attend college.
He may in fact not be on active duty receiving pay from the Army...

I got the above from this Army web page: Enlisted Soldiers | GoArmy.com

You might try the calling some numbers from that page to get some basic info...

Maybe the Child Support Center can help...

Rich

Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 PM

39 posts, read 94,388 times
He left active duty...saw the discharge papers. But I thought they still got paid as an E5. Especially while in training camp. (I live in an all-military town and have been hearing a lot of different stuff) :/

Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 PM

24,138 posts, read 38,906,904 times
He may be receiving a payment, stipend, a periodic payment, which is common in a scholarship or fellowship allowance which is granted to a student. But that may not count as income. I really do not know. You would be better off finding out who you can talk to with the real info instead of that "been hearing a lot of different stuff". Been there, etc.

Rich

Old 05-25-2012, 12:52 PM

467 posts, read 1,277,340 times
He's either getting paid his AD pay or he's getting a stipend, plus pay at camp. If he left AD, its not very much.

The good news is that in two years, he's going to get a fairly large raise.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM

499 posts, read 1,804,971 times
It is going to depend on what Green to Gold option he is under. In some cases the Soldier is discharged. In others, they remain on active duty. If he was discharged, then he no longer has an active duty income. He is receiving an ROTC stipend and I suspect he was also required to take part in the SMP program so he is drilling with a Reserve/Guard unit and is being paid as an E5. You'd have to have an attorney answer if those two (small) sources of payment are considered income. The stipend is probably not considered income and I would be surprised if drill pay under the SMP program qualifies as income.

As far as advanced camp goes-- yes, they are paid for their time at advanced camp but it is not very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues