U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,263,909 times

Advertisements

Stupid notion.

An aircraft carrier is far more than an empty symbol. It is an excellent way to project power to just about any portion of the globe.

To be sure, if one gets into a shooting war with the Chinese or the Russians, then the existence of carriers is problematic. But if one is conducting operations against just about any other opponent on the planet, it's a very potent weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 PM

3,323 posts, read 4,796,324 times
Carriers are power projection at their strongest point. The U.S. can deploy the 3rd largest air force in the world to any point in the world within weeks.

Remember carriers are the big stick in the U.S. policeman has in his hand...

Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 AM

367 posts, read 1,298,170 times
I'm sorry but, I still can't help but worry about the safety of the 5,000 plus crew members. I know there are perimeters, there are anti-aircraft and other defensive measures but a carrier is a big target (think WTC). I would have thought that Pearl Harbor demonstrated that. With the advance of portable lethal weapons (air to ground, drones, missiles) is it reasonable to presume an aircraft carrier can protect itself and its crew from all attacks?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:07 PM

24,159 posts, read 38,964,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
but a carrier is a big target (think WTC).
An aircraft carrier is a massive movable military weapon being manned by trained military personnel to deliver massive destructive powers.

WTC was a massive fixed office building being manned various civilians going about their civilian jobs with no capability to defend themselfs to the threat.

Quote:
I would have thought that Pearl Harbor demonstrated that.
"Pearl Harbor"? A foreign power launched an attack on the United States and basically chose U.S. Warships that were not battle ready. That attack was suppose to cause the U.S. Military to crumble.

Did we learn from that attack? (I don't know)

Did we learn from the first WTC attack? Apparently not, it was attacked a second time.

Quote:
With the advance of portable lethal weapons (air to ground, drones, missiles) is it reasonable to presume an aircraft carrier can protect itself and its crew from all attacks?
Our military members are prepared to die protecting our country. Nothing can completely protect from all attacks...

Rich

Old 06-07-2012, 01:50 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,893,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
It's an old question (but i'll raise it anyway).

So, are Aircraft Carriers purely a mobile aquatic airfield or are they more a demonstration of political intent/capability and/or an extension of a countrys foreign policy?
Yes.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,993,970 times
Air craft carriers also serve as floating hospitals with operating rooms and a medical ward. Their hangerbays and cargo bays are used when responding to natural disasters to provide evacuees with shelter, bedding, food, clean drinking water, and medical aid. The carriers provide a large platform for helicopter rescue operations.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM

3,323 posts, read 4,796,324 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but, I still can't help but worry about the safety of the 5,000 plus crew members. I know there are perimeters, there are anti-aircraft and other defensive measures but a carrier is a big target (think WTC). I would have thought that Pearl Harbor demonstrated that. With the advance of portable lethal weapons (air to ground, drones, missiles) is it reasonable to presume an aircraft carrier can protect itself and its crew from all attacks?

U.S. carriers are protected first by spy satellites and underwater detection platforms which let them know what is out there... Google white cloud, lacrosse, and keyhole spy satellites... The U.S. knows where 99% of all surface ships bigger than 10 meters are in the world at all times.

Space Today Online - The Satellite Wars - Iraq, Afghanistan and Yugoslavia

The biggest threat to a carrier today is a sub... Flat there are subs and targets... Almost all foreign subs are tracked from the time they leave port by a LA class or Virginia class sub plus by other assets such as p-3's...All carrier groups when on deployment have a sub screen with them.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM

32,168 posts, read 39,280,307 times
Time for these:

US Aircraft Carrier Fleet Evolution - The Greatest Navy "City of Steel" Fleet - YouTube

USS George H W Bush (CVN 77 ) Visit: Video & Slideshow - YouTube

Old 06-09-2012, 01:48 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,611,767 times
Quote:
Have to keep in mind that some of the big targets are left as big targets.

Like say, Pearl Harbor.

Or the "Pearl Harbor event" that "Project for a New American Century" hoped for -- which turned out to be the WTC and Pentagram.

While accidents happen, some are not accidents.

Wars all seem to need justifications -- even if the justifications are lies.

So the wonder of an Aircraft Carrier being hit, is that it instantly justifies a nice big war. Accident or not.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 PM

367 posts, read 782,250 times
Quote:

A carrier isn't out at sea alone, it's surrounded by other ships, whose sole purpose is to protect that carrier.

Portable lethal weapons aren't really a threat to a carrier, as there is very little probability that anyone could get close enough to use one. A boat based attack, along the lines of the attack on the USS Cole wouldn't get past the screening vessels to hit the carrier, and likely wouldn't do crippling damage if it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues