U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 05:38 AM

5,666 posts, read 4,213,757 times

Advertisements

I thought this would interest a few people and i know that some posters to this forum have, are on will be going to Afghanistan.

BBC News - British servicemen voice fears over Afghans they train

"Three men - all with experience of serving in Afghanistan and of working closely with the local police and army - have told the BBC they believe the lives of British soldiers are being put at risk by the very Afghan forces they are supposed to be training. A sergeant with the Royal Air Force, a lance corporal in the army, and a former paratrooper spoke anonymously about their concerns, which stem from an increase in "green on blue" attacks - so called because of the colours representing Afghan (green) and Nato (blue) forces."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 06:40 AM

499 posts, read 1,805,578 times
It is a tough balance. I have two tours in Afghanistan and I'll be honest, I never felt 100% comfortable around armed ANA/ANP. That's not to say that I wasn't very impressed with some of them but the reality is that when there are more frequent green on blue attacks, it is going to have a ripple effect through the ranks. My personal opinion is that we have given them everything they need to succeed. If they can't keep the Taliban out of power after we leave it is because they didn't want to.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM

I've done 3 tours and have one more to cover the 'withdrawl' in 2014. I've trained ANA & ANP and whenever doing so i've had as many of my men watching the Afghans as i have watching the perimeter. This is against SOP but what do you do? My men are my priority.

When on joint patrol or on clearance operations you honestly don't know where to watch. Do you 'show confidence' and send them in first where you can't watch them or do you 'show confidence' and go in first and leave them behind to cover you?

I've trained some right useless, feckless bastards i wouldn't trust with a toothpick. They're lazy and just show up for the money and to get some very basic training to take back and show their tribal leaders or the Taliban (depending on where the village is).

I've also trained some that have become quite adequate infantryman, these tend to have real animosity towards the Taliban often due to family members being killed/brutalised by them. These are the ones that will either die in the first few weeks after we withdraw from Afghanistan or will leave Afghanistan and join the armies of neighbouring countries as the nationalities and family history for many of them cover many of the countries in the region. This isn't a theory of mine that i've thought up, this is what i've been told by them. They don't think their country has a future after we've left.

It's sad. We're going to leave one hell of a mess with some good people that wont stand a chance. There's nothing else the international community can do though, i'm certainly not willing to lose any more men over there.

"We Came, We Saw, We left".

Old 06-01-2012, 06:57 PM

499 posts, read 1,805,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

It's sad. We're going to leave one hell of a mess with some good people that wont stand a chance. There's nothing else the international community can do though, i'm certainly not willing to lose any more men over there.

"We Came, We Saw, We left".
Those who have never stepped foot in that country cannot begin to comprehend the challenges it has. The lack of education, infrastructure, government, connectivity, etc., is astounding. We could stay there long after you and I are dead and there'd still be a ton of work to do. They either want what we have given them or they don't. And every time Karzai bad mouths NATO, he ought to remember that our nations are sending its treasures into harms way and not all of them are coming back.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,833,296 times
i didn't serve in afghanistan, but i did see the same things in iraq while i was in the usmc infantry. we tried very hard to train and work with iraqi police and army personnel, and it often felt more like babysitting unruly inmates, or worse, felt like being forced to play nicely with the enemy. they were constantly getting in trouble for abusing their own citizens, and on more than one occasion we took incoming fire from an area of the city that was supposedly under ia control.

still, there were some good ones, but it was so hard to sort out which ones were legitimate and sincere, and which ones were just lying through their teeth while fleecing their iraqi neighbors and waiting to put a knife in my spine. didn't much seem worth the trouble.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 AM

I know this is resurrecting an old thread but I feel that this is the right thread for this post.

BBC News - Nato curbs Afghan joint patrols over 'insider' attacks
Quote:
Nato says it is restricting operations with Afghan troops following a string of deadly attacks on its personnel by rogue Afghan security forces.
Only large operations will now be conducted jointly, with joint patrols evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Isaf said these were "prudent, but temporary, measures to reduce our profile and vulnerability".
In my second post on this thread I said that I had one more tour but as some of you may know my circumstances have changed and I wont be going now. Can't say that that's something i'll miss. With regards to this story It's about time but still far too late for too many. Roll on 2014 and the withdrawal.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM

930 posts, read 1,577,136 times
Couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues