U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 AM

5 posts, read 32,467 times

Advertisements

But I am not in the same boat as the typical person looking to join the military.

I am currently 25, I turn 26 this month.
I have a family
I have a job, full time
I am still in college, full time (start internship in December, do not graduate until Spring 2013)

I understand that there is a required 3 weeks training, in which I would only be available to do it once finals are done from school in December-January.

Once December comes and I finish my finals, I however am suppose to start my internship, process technician, which means I will be working with Dow, Exxon, Shell, etc... But I think I can put that on hold if need be until I get done with boot camp.

My main reason wanting to join RESERVES is because I have always wanted to do something for my country, and also enjoy the benefits they have. But once I get on with a plant, I am not sure if the Reserves could compete with the health benefits and such I will be receiving at that point.

I understand that they are setup in 8 year contracts in some shape or form, 6 on 2 off, 4 on 4 off, 2 on 6 off, whatever it maybe. As long as it is just a once a month and 2 weeks out of the year deal, I am fine with that.

But at this point in my life, is it worth it? Will I reap any benefits from it? I will have to take off of work, in which I would be giving up good money to get next to minimum wage, but as stated, I have always wanted to do something for the country I love. I've always wanted to learn the things that they do, I am a very self motivated person already, but I am always wanting and willing to learn more and push myself.

Any advice would be awesome. Also, I am leaning towards the Marines and Navy. Marines because I would love to learn the hand to hand combat, and Navy because of the touring the world aspect. Although I would never want to get deployed to go into war since I do have a family, but I know that is a risk, and I am willing to take it (heard that Air Force is the one to go in for that situation, but I heard they are a little easy... not looking for easy).

So yea, any advice on what you would do in my shoes, or maybe you were in my shoes, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 AM

499 posts, read 1,803,727 times
Regardless of which service you choose, you'll be required to complete initial training. Specifically, basic training/boot camp and then military occupational specialty training. I can't give you a time table on how long all this would take to complete because specialty training can be a month long or it could be 5 months long(or longer)-- it depends on what you chose to do.

Reserve Commitment is going to require 1 weekend a month and two weeks a year-- assuming you aren't mobilized. Is it worth it? Absolutely. You are part of an organization that is incredibly important to our nation. You'll meet incredible people, find out a lot about yourself, etc.

I can't speak for the Naval or Marine reserves (I'm active duty Army). You'll want to talk to a recruiter to see what programs they offer. You did mention health benefits. I would point out that as a Reservist, you won't have Tricare as your primary health insurance-- unless you are mobilized and fall under Title X. Then you and your family are eligible.

In any event, you have my vote on joining the Reserves. You'll never regret it.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 AM

3,270 posts, read 4,777,121 times
What is your major???? This is very important as you can leverage your guard/reserves training to help with your life.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 PM

Process Technology, I am getting an AS in it because that is all that is required for it, getting a 4 year degree is useless for my field.

I will not be using the Reserve as a career, as stated, it is just something I want to do. If training is anymore than 5 weeks I will not be able to do it, otherwise I get set back in school and with my career, which I am not willing to do. And it would have to be in the 1st week of December and be back by the 2nd week of January. Is it possible to set when you go and such? It is just the training that worries me, the length of it. I know I can pass everything no problem, I've been working out for a good while now. But time is not on my side...

Old 06-03-2012, 01:41 PM

3,270 posts, read 4,777,121 times
Most of the schools in the military are more than 5 weeks. I think even the Marine rifleman school is longer than that from what I googled around 10 weeks...

The reason I asked is you can make a lot of good connections in the guard and reserves that lead to jobs in the real world. The guy in your shop may walk in one day with applications to a $30 an hour job, don't laugh it happened to me when the Phone company had a buy out, over 30 people in my guard unit ended up working for the phone company within 6 months...

Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Would I absolutely have to go to school? I really have no need for that, as I am already in school, almost done, and in the field I want to be in. Starting salary for Process Technician is 76k+ a year, and I start my internship in December. I have no interest in having a career with the military, it is something I strictly want to do just to do it, and possibly start a tradition for my family. I am the only one completing college, and none of my intermeiate family has been in the military. Would love for my son to follow in my footsteps, but have a bigger imprint than me.

I just have no idea how the military works at all...

After reading more on it, seems like Navy is the front runner...

Last edited by cajunboy2208; 06-03-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 PM

24,133 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunboy2208 View Post
Would I absolutely have to go to school?
Yes. You will have to go to a basic training and then a school for your military profession your military occupational specialty.

You will then have an eight year military obligation.

Even if you are in the Reserves, you can be called to active duty.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 PM

499 posts, read 1,803,727 times
Based upon your comment that it cannot be longer than 5 weeks, you can stop looking into it now. Regardless of service, you won't complete basic training/boot camp in 5 weeks. Additionally, with the date range you stated, it's impossible to even come close to 5 weeks because of Christmas and New Year-- training is put on hold. In the Army it's for two weeks. In fact, we don't ship anyone off to training in December because of the training exodus. I would not be surprised to hear the other services also don't have anyone ship to training in December.

The Reserves are going to be a commitment and requires sacrifice. If you are unwilling to do either one of those things, then it isn't for you. You're asking to join the service, the service isn't asking to join you. Recruiting is going very well for all services. An applicant who walks in with all sorts of stipulations, which are going to be seen as demands by the recruiter, is going to be told, "Have a nice day".

Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 PM

Well, as stated, it is something I just wanted to do. I do not need anything in return from them. I talked to my buddy who is in the military, he said since I will not be using it to go to school since i am almost finished, and not using it as a career, then there is no reason to join the military... I have no problem sacraficing my time, but I already have everything in my life in place... so I guess that ends that.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,817,106 times
Suggestion: If you look at what is going on in our country and around the world, joining the military might not be your best option. You stand a very good chance of being deployed and that will be alot longer than a few weeks. Remember, you are not single. You have a family with kids so you can't just think of yourself, you have to think of what's best for them too. If you have a good career path, stick with it. It sounds like the reserves are probably not the best choice for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues