U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM

68 posts, read 259,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
YUMA!!! Not only is it the hottest city in the U.S. except for maybe one other city in CA, it now has the highest unemployment rate for a city in the U.S. There is nothing to do and as a military spouse with a college degree, there are no jobs here unless you're willing to work for minimum wage and are bi-lingual. It's ridiculous!!! I am really really hoping my husband can get orders to another station. I am being forced to move elsewhere to find work.
How long has your husband been there? Tell him to request orders elsewhere and get out of there. Yuma and 29 Palms are the arm pit of Marine bases/stations in my opinion.

The best is Camp Pendleton/Oceanside/San Diego area and some parts of Okinawa, Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:46 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,104,248 times
I agree that Ft. Bragg is a nice base, but Fayetteville is nothing to brag about! Though it isn't that far to go to get to major metropolitan areas for the day (it is between Raleigh and Charlotte). I'd have to say that I love CO, so being near Colorado Springs is nice. I like anywhere that has all 4 seasons, and that has a good bookstore and library. If the military town has those, than I can be content. But I also like being within an hour's drive of a big airport/lots of people!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 AM

144 posts, read 120,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candmforever View Post
From the ones we have traveled to or lived in, I'd say we thouroughly enjoyed Tyndall AFB in Panama City, FL and I'd say 29 Palms, CA is the worst.
I have to disagree about 29 Palms.
I actually had the time of my life there.
It's close to Vegas, Laughlin, Palm Springs, and cheap living.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,076,846 times
Lawton;Oklahoma and Leesville;La were the worse I ever saw.But Fort Sill was a beautiful base as far as the country.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 PM

206 posts, read 604,497 times
Seeing a lot of posts for Fayetteville, NC (AKA Fayettenam) in this thread... and I must completely agree!!

The city is such an armpit that it makes Jacksonville, NC (Camp Lejeune, my FORMER worst place to be) look like Maui.

Take whatever typical stereotype one would have a normal military town and muliply that by three (since the sorrounding two bases are so large). Add to that the fact you have to drive about an hour to flee the native, scuzzy, hick population and find some "normal" people. The only decent thing about the town was that you could literally find any chain restaurant you could think of there... PROVIDED YOU DON'T MIND WAITING 30 TO 45 MINUTES TO BE SEATED!

Best would be Miramar, San Diego... Just so much to do there.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:43 PM

43 posts, read 143,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpjn View Post
From a Navy point of view:
Best-Jacksonville, FL and Norfolk, VA
Worst-Patuxent River, MD ("Pax River")

Was stationed in Jacksonville and Norfolk between 2000 and 2002, so I things may have changed, but I enjoyed my time in both places. Yes, the traffic around Norfolk is bad, but I lived very close to the base and avoided it.

Pax River--isolated! Most people from Maryland have never even heard of the place unless they live (or have lived) there. You have to drive 45 minutes to get to an okay shopping mall and there really is nothing to do unless you are a boater. It is a pretty place, but I was so happy when we moved.
We are in Jax now and just moved from Pax, and I can't say it's the best, but it's certainly not the worst! Yes, it is a small town, but it's growing everyday! And there are people that live down that way and commute the hour or more to DC just to get away from the city!

My vote for best... probably Jax,
Worst... Great Lakes, IL!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 AM

732 posts, read 3,773,008 times
How are Bermerton WA and Great Lakes IL?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
How are Bermerton WA and Great Lakes IL?
I owned a home in Bremerton for a while. I was on a sub out of Subase Bangor.

It was okay.

The homeschool and 4H groups there were very active.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:58 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,978,423 times
San Antonio. If you are Army or Air Force and mostly Air Force. San Antonio loves its military. Their high schools are named for famous military leaders. That's the best.

Worst? Too many to list for the Army. Most are adjacent to ripoff bergs and have very little in the community for off duty troops. Dullsvilles.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:39 PM

71 posts, read 181,083 times
I've heard Clovis, NM (Cannon AFB) has a very high suicide rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or