U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 AM

691 posts, read 755,744 times

Advertisements

My dad retired here to the San Antonio area in 1975.We had been at Fort Meade,Maryland. He was at NSA and he came right out and told them he was interested in retireing and was not going to stay in Maryland.He hated the east coast.
San Antonio was home for my parents off and on since the 1950s,. The town has a lot to offer the military even if you aren't retired.There are plenty of places to go and things to do in this part of Texas around San Antonio-Austin.
It's an old military town.There are things to do with your kids, like Six Flages Fiesta Texas, Seaworld, Schlitterbahn(New Braunfels),the zoo,etc. You have health care, the Spurs,Rampage(hockey) Scorpions(soccer) and the San Antonio Missions(baseball) for sports fans.
This place is much better than some military posts because there is so much to do for families.Many of the towns around here like Schertz,New Braunfels ,Cibolo are growing.And there are good schools too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM

3,192 posts, read 4,236,484 times
I have never heard a bad thing said about SATX.

I've driven through there but never stopped there.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,488,181 times
Default Sa tx

I am heading for SA Texas to see if it is for me as a military retiree. It is the first choice in a short list that includes Charleston SC, Atlanta GA, Naples FL, or just staying put in MA. So when I am back from SA in July I will report back here.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 PM

7 posts, read 32,884 times
I went through BOLC at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio. Great place.

I'm currently stationed at Ft. Carson, CO and it is nearly as nice as San Antonio if not nicer.

I am getting my next duty station preference sheet put together for post CCC and here are my preferred choices (NOT necessarily due to best/worst towns):

1. Camp Casey, Korea
2. Ft. Lewis, WA
3. Ft. Campbell, KY
4. Landstuhl Hospital Germany
5. Ft. Drum, NY
6. Walter Reed in D.C.
7. Camp Humprheys, Korea

I'm an MSC officer so I have to have a mixture of MTOE and TDA assignments, but hopefully I get a unit that is deploying or is a hardship duty assignment like Korea. I'd rather live in a ****ty area and be able to deploy or save money rather than live in an awesome town. Just my opinion.

Worst base I've been to? Ft. Benning, GA. But my experience was during Airborne, Air Assault and Ranger Schools so I wasn't able to explore much besides for a few weeks. However Columbus was a dump IMO.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 PM

3,192 posts, read 4,236,484 times
I'm here at Bliss now and it seems quite nice. El Paso isn't bad like everyone says it is; I think the people who say that believe anything they hear or what they see on the news rather than having actually been here.

As for Bliss itself, all of 1st AD is brand new, the buildings are new, the roads are new, everything. The PX is new and when I went there for the first time, I thought I had left Bliss because the PX resembled a civilian outdoor shopping mall than a PX.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,136,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I'm here at Bliss now and it seems quite nice. El Paso isn't bad like everyone says it is; I think the people who say that believe anything they hear or what they see on the news rather than having actually been here.

As for Bliss itself, all of 1st AD is brand new, the buildings are new, the roads are new, everything. The PX is new and when I went there for the first time, I thought I had left Bliss because the PX resembled a civilian outdoor shopping mall than a PX.
Does Fort Bliss require registration tags on the windshield? Fort Hood does, but Ft. Sam Houston does not. It's a pain to get a temporary pass on large Army bases. Around San Antonio, the Air Force has eliminated the tags and you just need to show military ID to get on base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or