U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 AM

3,494 posts, read 12,704,615 times

Advertisements

Best: Ft Hood, TX (Killeen)
NAS JRB Carswell Field, TX (Ft Worth)
Ft Huachuca, AZ (Sierra Vista)
NAS PMRF Barking Sands Missile Range, HI (Kekaha, Kaua'i)
Holloman AFB (Alamogordo, NM)

Worst: Ft Stewart, GA (Hinesville)
HAAF (Hunter Army Air Field), GA (Savannah)

Last edited by Crew Chief; 07-18-2008 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Per poster's request; (PMRF)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,900,947 times
Denver, Colorado Springs, San Antonio were the worst for me. The UK was awesome!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,593,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree, Ft. Carson in Col Springs and the Presidio are beautiful. Ft. Stewart in Savannah is OK. Ft. Bragg is nice, but Fayetteville itself is pretty much an armpit.
Unfortunately, a military town seems to cater to the lowest common denomonater. The bigger it is the more poluted it becomes with used car dealers, pawn shops, tattoo parlors and strip joints.
Savannah is a very nice place but Stewart actually gates to Hinesville which is pretty much a dump.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:58 AM

13,807 posts, read 25,846,151 times
I did 20 years in the Navy and my favorite was San Diego. There's a reason most people in this thread have picked it.. too bad it's so expensive. My least enjoyable experience was Norfolk/Virginia Beach. I started out at the shipyard in Portsmouth, went to 32nd St., and then to NAS Oceana. It wasn't awful, but I definitely didn't enjoy it. I did two tours at Monterey (DLI), and they were day and night. First time was great and the second time (2000-2001) sucked because of the amount of people there. I finished up in San Antonio and it's not bad, but I definitely won't be here much longer. Once the economy is back on track and I have some more stability I'm moving to either South Dakota, Maine, or back to Michigan. I definitely have to get out of this nasty oven of a state.
BTW, I did two tours at Goodfellow AFB (San Angelo, TX) and if it wasn't so hot, I would probably move back there. That's more my style with it's quiet surroundings and not much traffic.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:34 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,296,529 times
Best, Patuxent River, Md. 1 hour to Washington, 2 hours to Baltimore. Locally, GREAT hunting, fishing and crabbing, scenic and clean, other than Maryland's taxes it pretty good! Good from early American historical perspective as well.

Worst? Maybe Norfolk but that was what you made it. As a single guy in the early 70's I found all you needed to do was open your mouth. Lot's of women were glad to converse! Like Pax river, a boat helps.

Marietta/Atlanta cheap housing, friendly people (mostly) in the Burbs but boring, sorry, rivers and lakes don't get it, they suck as does red clay, heat and kudzu.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 11,777 times
I'm just rating Air Force Bases I've been to, I'm sure there's plenty of other good and bad ones out there.

BEST
Hickam AFB, Hawaii

GOOD
Shaw AFB, South Carolina
Kirtland AFB, New Mexico

OK
Holloman AFB, New Mexico
Whiteman AFB, Missouri

WORST
Cannon AFB, Middle of Nowhere, New Mexico

Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,789,261 times
When my husband was in the Marine Corps, we were stationed at 29Palms. We are originally from San Diego and were hoping to be stationed somewhere pretty far from home,lol.
I personally didn't like 29 when we first moved there, but as the wife of a Marine, I really liked it as a military town, better than San Diego in my opinion. Most everyone there is in the Corps so all my friends were going through the same thing as me, when our husbands were out in the field, the wives could relate and we helped each other. Unlike what San Diego would be like since it's so big, people don't understand what you are experiencing.
That's my 2cents on my own personal experience!

Editing to add, I'm also a Navy brat, my dad was stationed in SD but spent most of his time overseas. Imagine the conversations between my Marine husband and Navy dad,lol....not good!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:46 AM

12 posts, read 58,505 times
Bremerton/Silverdale is the best small town military town. San Diego, where I went to boot camp is definitely the best big city to get stationed at. What do both have in common? Fil-Ams who play a big part in making it feel like a real community.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,136,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCarolina View Post
I'm just rating Air Force Bases I've been to, I'm sure there's plenty of other good and bad ones out there.

BEST
Hickam AFB, Hawaii...
Lived on Hickam, stationed at Wheeler, worked at Kunia (in a tunnel under a pineapple field). Good tour.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 PM

52 posts, read 148,154 times
My hubby has been in 15 years and we have been to only 4 bases,but I say FT IRWIN/Barstow Marine Base(we did 4 months in Barstow then 20 months at Irwin NOT fun lol) and FT POLK are the worst. IMO the best place is San Antonio but sadly we only get stationed here when hubby leaves for a 1 year unaccompanied tour (which has been every 2 years in the past almost 10 years) so he doesnt really get to enjoy SA (our hometown) with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or