U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,789 times

Advertisements

I hear Clover New Mexico is awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 13,789 times
I mean't clovis

Old 07-27-2008, 02:58 PM

13 posts, read 39,637 times
I've been stationed at Ft. Bragg my whole career, but I'm an Army brat that grew up in Clarksville, TN. Clarksville isn't really that bad compared to some other places the Army can send you. I think that a lot of people who crap on the city are those who are single and just stay in the barracks getting drunk every weekend, or the married people on/off post who never go anywhere. Go to Nashville, it's right up the road! After being in Fayetteville, NC for the past five years, I appreciate Clarksville's lack of hookers, sex related businesses, and other craziness associated with Fayetteville. The best place I've ever spent time at while in the Army is Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, I may live there when I get out. The worst, definitely Ft. Polk! Columbia, SC wasn't that bad either, once I actually got two months to explore the area and discover that it's more than the mall and Five Points.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:00 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I sure hope Norfolk, VA has improved since the erly 80's when i was stationed at Norfolk Naval Shipyards as the civilian population wasn't too friendly back then Signs like ''Sailors and Dogs Keep of Grass' were not unheard of then. As for the Shipyards i did love working at them. Had good memories partying along George Washington Ave back then .
That was how I found Virginia.

Off and on from 1977 until 2001; the locals hated us.

Cops pulled us over just to harrass us, once I got arrested for wearing an electrician's knife on my belt [while driving]. Went to court and paid a fine. I have a police record now for carrying a 'weapon'.

Man they hated us.

I was totally amazed during Desert Storm when I heard folks proclaimig how much they loved the military! Many of the same folks who a few years before were spitting on us.

Best town would have to be Dunoon Scotland.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 PM

14 posts, read 28,746 times
Its all in your own opinion and I like it here in Sumter SC (Shaw AFB). Many people I've talked to over the years couldn't wait to get out of here and then wanted to come back. When I retired from the AF, I took into account the cost of living, taxes, and location. This is a smaller town but Charlotte, Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Florence are all in short driving distance. I can even be in Daytona beach or Atlanta in less six hours. So take into account what means the most to you and get out and see the world why you're there.

Very Respectfully,

Bob Cosby

Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 AM

39 posts, read 161,425 times
We're at Schofied Barracks, Hawaii and we love it.
Yes, its expensive, but the Army gives you extra money to make up for it, also there is a booming economy and I was able to find a job making more money then i ever dreamed of on the mainland so we're actually WAY better off then we've ever been before...also, its Hawaii! we spend most weekends at the North Shore, the locals are great and i've never eaten so much fresh pineapples in my life.
Fort Huachuca was a complete and utter pit. Hot, miserable with a crime/drug filled town.
Augusta, Georgia was just depessing, but no where near as bad as Fort Huachuca.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,893,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCL View Post
I hear Clover New Mexico is awful.
I've heard that about Clovis (and a LOT of other places, too) But, as others above have pointed out, there are good things and bad things at every base or location. But "accentuate the positive" and the assignment will be much better! I heard a LOT of bad things about some of the places I was assigned. But much of it, I realized after arriving, was comments from people who had never been there or were there and did ABSOLUTELY nothing to enjoy their time there...

Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,288,847 times
I never added my worst ones.

Grand Forks AFB, ND

Bleh...I was there 3.5 years. Absolutely brutal weather and nothing to do. Flat as a pancake and some hostility from the locals.

Minot AFB, ND

Went TDY there and it seemed worse than Grand Forks.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:19 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,920,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I never added my worst ones.

Grand Forks AFB, ND

Bleh...I was there 3.5 years. Absolutely brutal weather and nothing to do. Flat as a pancake and some hostility from the locals.

Minot AFB, ND

Went TDY there and it seemed worse than Grand Forks.
Is true is worse...got a lot of respect for the local families.. is just cold to the bone....http://bestsmileys.com/winter/14.gif (broken link)

Read the following: n Barrow, Alaska on the Arctic Ocean, the annual average temperature is 10.4 degrees. Juneau, Alaska, at the southern end of the state, has an annual average temperature of 41.5 degrees. A couple of places that are just as cold or colder than Juneau on an annual basis in other states include Alamosa, Colo. 40.8 degrees, and Grand Forks, N.D., 40.3 degrees. In other words, parts of Colorado and North Dakota, and also some other states, are as cold as part of Alaska.

USATODAY.com - Answers: What are the 10 coldest states

Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,920,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCL View Post
I mean't clovis

See link to Clovis pics: http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...hborhoods.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or