U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-02-2008, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,658 posts, read 10,244,500 times
Reputation: 1275

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I really like Hampton Roads the military is a huge part of everything there.

I really dislike the area around Andrews AFB in Prince Georges County, MD. Very high crime rate to the north and west.
Hampton Roads is good, as is Jacksonville, FL. There are a lot of military and they offer military discounts.

The DC Metro - headquarters for the military - is not a military town. No military discounts, it is not cost effective for most servicemembers and has high crime.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2008, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,194,227 times
Reputation: 3776
Fayetteville, NC (Ft. Bragg & Pope AFB) was pretty rough during the Vietnam era. It still has a high crime rate. Ranked #59 on the most dangerous cities in America list recently.

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/City%204...gerous_14E.pdf
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 12:57 AM
 
2,344 posts, read 3,800,501 times
Reputation: 2191
Bremerton was the worst in form of harrassment from both police and locals. Out of every base I ever been to or stationed at, bremerton was by far the wosrt military friendly town there was. The police went out of their way to harrass people and if it came down to an incident bwteen civlians and military, the police always treated military like crap.

Plus the general harrassment just drove me crazy, civilians would always be trying to start somethign knowing we could get in trouble with the command and the police were always harrassing and pulling people over, I got pulled over there 10 times more than ever in my life combined but yet never received one single infraction out of all of those times.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,702 posts, read 21,915,492 times
Reputation: 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Bremerton was the worst in form of harrassment from both police and locals. Out of every base I ever been to or stationed at, bremerton was by far the wosrt military friendly town there was. The police went out of their way to harrass people and if it came down to an incident bwteen civlians and military, the police always treated military like crap.

Plus the general harrassment just drove me crazy, civilians would always be trying to start somethign knowing we could get in trouble with the command and the police were always harrassing and pulling people over, I got pulled over there 10 times more than ever in my life combined but yet never received one single infraction out of all of those times.
Can you provide more info about the location of Bremerton (State, base/camp, etc). Just curious....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 PM
 
2,344 posts, read 3,800,501 times
Reputation: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Can you provide more info about the location of Bremerton (State, base/camp, etc). Just curious....
That would be Bremerton Washington, There are a few Navy bases there including Bremerton, Bangor (sub base) and Keyport.

Bremerton is home to a mothball fleet as well as a carrier (Carl Vinson)with other surface ships. The USS Lincoln is on the other side up in Everett. Bangor is home to the west coast subamrine ballistic missile fleet and also has a special ops sub, the Jimmy Carter, stationed there which replaced the USS Parche.

Keyport is a weapons station which does various weapons testing, mostly civilians that work there.

Besides the navy bases, there is an Airforce base near Tacoma along with an Army base.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,723 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Reputation: 17577
I spent a year on the USS Casimir Pulaski during her DeComm in Bremerton Shipyard; and then I rode the USS Alaska for a few years out of Subase Bangor [both in Washington state]. I was there 1992 - 1997.

I did not find Bremerton to be distasteful area at all.

I rather liked the area of Kitsap County

We were active with a church, and we were 4H leaders, as well as the Freemason lodge there and the Scottish Rite, the Tacoma Shrine, and a Salmon hatchery that liked volunteers.

Also fishing from a small bass boat off the ends of the shipyard piers, we saw some neat historic subs that have been held there too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 05:08 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,668,255 times
Reputation: 1105
Fort Bliss Texas would of been one of the worst.. but things are changing there quickly. Red Stone Arsenal was the best I was ever stationed at.

Fort Lewis Washington was also rather nice. Fort Stewart GA was very humid.. but I dont think this is so much about the post/base, as it is about the towns around them right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Georgia
1,258 posts, read 2,029,904 times
Reputation: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
Im switching from Guard to active Army and my wife and I were looking at some place diffirent either Alaska or Hawaii. Has anyone been to either? How is it as far as cost of living in Hawaii, I know it's expensive but could we get by on E-4 pay with one child?
Have never been to either one can only give you opinion based on what I've heard over the years.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of people I've known/talked to that were stationed in Hawaii hated it...while the majority stationed in Alaska loved it.

Hawaii...The locals are very nasty to the military (& pretty much all non-native Hawaiians), very expensive, and gets old quick.

Alaska...Everybody just seemed to love how beautiful it was and lots of stuff to do outdoors.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Western Bexar County
3,823 posts, read 13,138,072 times
Reputation: 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Have never been to either one can only give you opinion based on what I've heard over the years.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of people I've known/talked to that were stationed in Hawaii hated it...while the majority stationed in Alaska loved it.

Hawaii...The locals are very nasty to the military (& pretty much all non-native Hawaiians), very expensive, and gets old quick.

Alaska...Everybody just seemed to love how beautiful it was and lots of stuff to do outdoors.
I was stationed in Hawaii 4 1/2 years with my wife and family back in the late 80's. Not once was anybody nasty to us and my wife even had a sewing business where she sold every weekend at the swapmeet next to the stadium.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 PM
 
2,344 posts, read 3,800,501 times
Reputation: 2191
I was in Hawaii in the late 90's and many locals and Asians were rude and down right dangerous if a person happen to end up in the wrong area of town.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top