Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times

Advertisements

An aquaintance of mine recently finished serving in the US Marines. He never left American soil during his service. Since returning home to his wife, he's been job hunting but having no luck. Faced with growing money problems, he's resorted to some tactics which I find questionable, to say the least.
For one: when being turned down by a prospective employer, he's responded "But I'm a veteran of the war in Afghanistan! Is this how you treat those of us who've sacrificed and served our country?"
And more recently, he's discovered that some other veterans recieve benefits for various conditions, such as hearing loss, post traumatic stress disorder, etc. So, he's actually been tossing around the idea of filing a disability claim, although there's not a thing wrong with him-- and certainly nothing resulting from being in the US Marines.
His family is beside themselves over his currrent mindset. But this veteran seems to think he's fully entitled to special treatment simply for having been a Marine. Having a hard time swallowing this. You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:46 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
He won't get PTSD that's for sure. My dh has it, and in order to get paid for it you have to 1) see a doc, 2) have received a medal in theater or write a letter detailing you stressors while in theater.

BTW if he's acting like this he didn't learn anything from his time in the USMC! My dh would never think of doing something like this.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
It's very disappointing. I'm currently serving in the Marines and if there is one thing that I can't stand, it's when my fellow Marines walk around with "entitlement mentality." Last time I checked, we have an all volunteer force, and nobody who is on the payroll today (or any day since the last draftees cycled out of the services in the early 1990s) is there by force. To top it off, the pay and benefits are pretty decent, and nobody "owes" him anything because he received a paycheck for his services every two weeks throughout the duration of his service.

Also, he has a Post-911 GI bill that is worth over $65,000. That's enough to pay for ANY good state college/university. Being a Marine is an honorable thing, but it is not a shoe in for a job upon return to the civilian world. No Marine, Soldier, Sailor or Airman should expect anything simply because of their service.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 PM

25 posts, read 24,414 times
That's the kind of "garrett trooper" (old Nam term) that would get a SERIOUS beatdown from REAL combat vets. If he wants to play that card, his jackpot could be something he doesn't want....

Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
It reminds me or Vietnam ERA vets, who were traumatized when they saw me being shot at on the evening news. While I was in the Army I was always told Marines were "Special"

Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
But this veteran seems to think he's fully entitled to special treatment simply for having been a Marine. Having a hard time swallowing this. You?
So.... Why you grieving over it? I would stay away from the person... Let him try and play the system or whatever. Maybe your reading him wrong... Maybe we really don't know all the facts...

You probably are not even absolutely certain of his discharge status...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-10-2012 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM

188 posts, read 938,599 times
Since he's so special asked him why not rejoin the Marines? If he's still fit and can't rejoin the Marines there's also the Army. Most of us vets frown upon former military members throwing their service in the face of others. Real Combat vet or not, you know what you are signing up for in advance, as someone stated earlier we have a full volunteer force.

Asked him if he has applied for unemployment benefits, he's probably eligible for that, also he might have to move to another location to work, unemployment percentages varies by State. As far as filing a disability claim with the VA it's time restricted you have to get in your paperwork prior to your deadline, and after you send in your paperwork they are so overloaded the current waiting time just to speak with someone is appox 2 years, in the last year disability filing is up over 50%.

Btw there are plenty of Vietnam ERA vets with full benefits that didn't spend one day in Vietnam or combat. You just had to servce during that time frame to qualify for the benefits, and the benefits I'm speaking of are job placement, college, etc...

For most benefits, it's not where you served that counts, it's when you serve that counts.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Is he entitled to something special for being a US Marine?
Yes, the mere fact that he was willing to serve and potentially place himself in a life threatening situation does entitle him to a certain degree of respect and appreciation.
but thats not what we are seeing...
the entitlement he's expecting is a snow job by the militray on its members. he is probably feeeling the frustration that the line of bs he was fed about his militray service being some sort of badge of superiorty that would result in employment opportunities based only on being a marine, well that is most likely crashing down real hard under the weight of REALITY.

Militray emebers have been led to belive that they posses some higher standard in the eyes of emplpyers that does not exist. Many militray skill and leadership traits do elevate a veteran but its still not a secret handshake to the back door hiring lounge of HR. He still has to be able to translate those militray skills and duties to the civilian hiring world and from what many vetrans have told me, that is something the militray fails at ina miserable way.

So, don;t get to harsh on him because this is something he probably have been told would go a comletely different way and since they probably never prepared him for the true civilian world employment reality, he's lashing out because, well to be honest, thats all he has as a playing card to throw on the table.

as for the disability or va compensation, why the heck not since they are constantly being told file, file, file......

Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
An aquaintance of mine recently finished serving in the US Marines. He never left American soil during his service. Since returning home to his wife, he's been job hunting but having no luck. Faced with growing money problems, he's resorted to some tactics which I find questionable, to say the least.
For one: when being turned down by a prospective employer, he's responded "But I'm a veteran of the war in Afghanistan! Is this how you treat those of us who've sacrificed and served our country?"
And more recently, he's discovered that some other veterans recieve benefits for various conditions, such as hearing loss, post traumatic stress disorder, etc. So, he's actually been tossing around the idea of filing a disability claim, although there's not a thing wrong with him-- and certainly nothing resulting from being in the US Marines.
His family is beside themselves over his currrent mindset. But this veteran seems to think he's fully entitled to special treatment simply for having been a Marine. Having a hard time swallowing this. You?
Hey!....at least he served his country in some capacity. That is more than all the freeloaders out there getting benefits that have not done anything for the USA! Semper Fi.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
He had better be careful because he's bumping close to a criminal case of "fraud" if he tries to file a claim for some condition he doesn't have. Maybe his trouble at finding work has to do with his attitude. TMZ reported a veteran contestant on a game show who claimed combat injuries not only used a combat photo that was not him, his records don't even show he wasnt even out of USA during his time in service. Tell your friend to stick with honesty. It's far less Embarassing that being caught in a bold face lie. I served in the Navy in Desert Storm. I don't make up stories. I tell the few exciting moments in addition to the many long hours of doing gator squares (doing big circles in the water).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues