U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 02:54 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,488,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Hey!....at least he served his country in some capacity. That is more than all the freeloaders out there getting benefits that have not done anything for the USA! Semper Fi.
True enough he is entitled to plenty of benefits, but from what the OP says this jarhead is trying to defraud the system.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,506,916 times
The way the VA explains it, you aren't considered a veteran unless you've served in a campaign or in a combat zone and have the medals to prove it. If it isn't reflected on your DD 214 you won't be considered for disability benefits from the VA. Not sure if that has changed recently, but that was the guidance I recall.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM

24,153 posts, read 38,939,742 times
VA Disability Compensation
Quote:
What Is VA Disability Compensation?

Disability compensation is a benefit paid to a veteran because of injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or were made worse by active military service. It is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care. The benefits are tax-free.

Who Is Eligible?

You may be eligible for disability compensation if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-09-2012 at 10:08 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,080,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Since we dont know him we have to trust your word. I dont care if he did not travel overseas. I have concerns with non veterans questioning a veteran. He did his part by serving. Finally, all military know to serve quietly. We dont seek handouts(assistance is differant) and we do not bring attention to ourselves. I let my family members do the talking. Good luck to your relative and tell him that i thank him for his service.
Not my experience, and I'm a vet working in a military community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I recall that when I retired in 1998 the VA was the second highest employer of veterans, second only to DOD. Now the VA is not even in the top 10. Most of the areas that employed Veterans have been contracted out to parasites. Apparently they put dollar signs aahead of veterans
It was a congressional requirement to oursource.
There was a time when congress looked at FTEs (Full-time equivalents) and told agencies that they had to reduce the number of FTEs.
This is where Halliburton & Brown&Root came in to play.
They didn't look at the cost of a "for profit" company and compare with the cost of an FTE.
Costs for contractors have skyrocketed and there's little oversight of the employee, only of the contract/contractor.

I believe they're looking at things a little differently these days.
With the number of positions dwindling and the cost of contracts being reviewed, contracts are being cancelled.

Last edited by chielgirl; 09-11-2012 at 05:44 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 PM

960 posts, read 1,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Not my experience, and I'm a vet working in a military community.
I'm a bit confused. Are you answering for the op or do you have two accounts on CD?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 AM

24,153 posts, read 38,939,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
I'm a bit confused. Are you answering for the op or do you have two accounts on CD?
It was a "Multi-Quote Message", a feature of the software. Two people were quoted.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 AM

12,708 posts, read 12,108,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The way the VA explains it, you aren't considered a veteran unless you've served in a campaign or in a combat zone and have the medals to prove it. If it isn't reflected on your DD 214 you won't be considered for disability benefits from the VA. Not sure if that has changed recently, but that was the guidance I recall.
Not correct, and has not been this way for many years.

A person can get disability and not ever step foot in a combat zone, I work with one; and being in a combat zone or campaign is not a prerequisite for being a veteran.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM

809 posts, read 1,863,142 times
What about a soldier injured during combat? Bullet injury, shrapnel to neck, arm, leg (the shrapnel in leg is next to the femoral artery and risky to remove) and told he is suffering from minor ptsd?

This soldier just came back stateside a week ago and these are the results of his medical examination (whatever it's called) at the VA Hospital he is currently near.

He was due to come to his home state today but they are keeping him until next week before he can travel "home".

Also, he has re-upped for another six years.

He was told he would receive a percentage of disability every month but not sure how that works much less how they figure out the percentage.

Sorry this is poorly written. I know what I want to say but my brain just won't cooperate.

ETA: He says he just processed his LOD paper work which was required of him to do.

Last edited by second right; 09-14-2012 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: added

Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM

493 posts, read 615,835 times
its a delicate balance for sure.

part of our pride in service is that we're tough and we've been thru trials that civilians would never have to face .

on the other hand, let a BM3 who got out during the depths of the 90s recession testify, once we're discharged, the benefits of service arent necessarily tangible to employers. all they cared about is that i didnt have any more, but maybe less experience in that specific field than the other guys. so yes, most of us bounce around and find our way in civilian life, but i'd be lying if i said i never felt like i resented my service being a DISadvantage against someone who, at least in this vets eyes, had only served themself.

i tell you one thing that young vet the OP mentions has in his favor that we did not, is the "support our troops" mentality that started to develop during the first gulf war. previous to the that alot of the civilian world has disdain for vets as just the typical "government worker"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues