U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 05:00 AM

15,254 posts, read 12,499,091 times

Advertisements

While on holiday in the small harbour town of Gouves two years ago we came across an old military base left derelict with a massive swimming pool drained, while looking around, the toilets, changing rooms etc were all left intact, as if the base had been wiped out by aliens.. On asking some locals we found this info. and that the Americans had left this place to the Greeks to use and they had allowed it to be taken over by local gypsies and ruined.. what a shame as it had such potential.. Id love to have seen it when it was all hustle and bustle with the servicemen and women who were there.. I wonder if anyone on here remembers this place.
Panoramio - Photo of Gouves US Air Force Base communications system

and one mans story.. http://www.cretegazette.com/archive/2005-12-crete.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM

9,762 posts, read 13,307,777 times
Doesn't surprise me. After the US started closing bases in the 90's, they literally just walked away from most of them.

Possibly one of the most surreal cases, at least up until fairly recently, was on Treasure Island in San Francisco. It was a naval station and is still technically US Government property, but was decommissioned. Some of the housing is up for rent; I actually lived there for awhile, primarily because I grew up on military bases and found it to be somewhat homey, and also surreal: the rest of the island is dominated by abandoned military structures, barracks, workshops, etc. It's almost like being in a little mini-Chernobyl, in the middle of San Francisco Bay, with a spectacular view of DTSF from the Western shore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasur...nd_(California) <-- I took some of those photos and wrote some of the article.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:41 AM

15,254 posts, read 12,499,091 times
What a shame.. I often wonder how many go back years later to see what became of the place. very sad if they visit when its been abandoned and left to rot...

Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM

9,762 posts, read 13,307,777 times
This is a pretty interesting one, too, with some interior pictures of a base in Japan:

Abandoned US Air Force Base, Fuchu | Michael John Grist
Abandoned Army Base | Everyday Japan

Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,342 times
Default I lived there as a kid

It may be a little late but I was searching for current photos of this place as I lived there as a kid. I attended 4th, 5th and 6th grade on that Base. My dad was in the air-force. In fact we lived in the townhouse 2nd from the beach right near the gazebo. It was a beautiful base back in the day. We had a beautiful marble area with the Greek flag and american flag. I remember just off base there on the old road there was a resturaunt called Hatzi's or something like that. It's a shame that they left it to ruin. Such good memories of living on Crete.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,430 times
The base was not just left to rot.It was in tip top shape when turned over the the Greek Air Force in July 1994.A fight over the land started which delayed the use by the locals then the ROMA's tore it up.Some bldgs are in use today is in the marina.

Last edited by papoumac; 01-09-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-09-2016, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,430 times
Go to FB site and look for the Sept 2015 reunion photo or on my shutterfly site which is the history of IAS in photos and videos. [url]www.papoumac.shutterfly.com[/url] Join the FB site Iraklion Air Station Crete.I have been back many times as well as the Sept 2015 reunion,I'm married to a Cretan and have family there...Some former IAS members stilll live on the Island today.

Last edited by papoumac; 01-09-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues