U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 AM
 
30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Reputation: 14005

Advertisements

I was wondering how people felt about foreign military veterans from friendly countries that live in the USA. Do you think that they should get some of the benefits that American vets get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville, NC
1,490 posts, read 5,048,849 times
Reputation: 1598
Sure they should get benefits; but from their home country.

I do support WWII Filipino veterans getting their full benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,131 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Reputation: 28099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I was wondering how people felt about foreign military veterans from friendly countries that live in the USA. Do you think that they should get some of the benefits that American vets get?
Maybe. It depends. Maybe on some benefits... Depends on what your talking about.

Are you aware of any cases?

Can U.S. military veterans get benefits from other countries? I served in a few overseas locations. While on active duty in Belgium we were allowed to use the Canadian PX. While on active duty in Germany we were allowed to use the German Army Cantina. Those were minimal benefits.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-09-2015 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,125,044 times
Reputation: 6171
Only those who served in the United States military (and NOAA or PH or any other group congress authorizes) may reveive benefits from the US Veterans Administartion. HOWEVER, The US VA will provide health benefits and care to certain foreign militray veterans who are entiltles to universal vetrans health care in their country and who's goverment has a agreement to repay the US VA for that service. Currently there are about 12 countries with such agreements and about 2 dozen more with "by approval" (emergency or arranged care) agreements.

Likewise the same goes for US veterans in foreign countries who receive benefits from that country based on agreements with the US.

Most times the benefits are medical however, US veterans can obtain certain local benefits if they had a direct relationship with something in that country deserving of benefits. So if you were in country and assisted in the liberation of that country, they may extend certain veteran benefits to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM
 
30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Reputation: 14005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Only those who served in the United States military (and NOAA or PH or any other group congress authorizes) may reveive benefits from the US Veterans Administartion. HOWEVER, The US VA will provide health benefits and care to certain foreign militray veterans who are entiltles to universal vetrans health care in their country and who's goverment has a agreement to repay the US VA for that service. Currently there are about 12 countries with such agreements and about 2 dozen more with "by approval" (emergency or arranged care) agreements.

Likewise the same goes for US veterans in foreign countries who receive benefits from that country based on agreements with the US.

Most times the benefits are medical however, US veterans can obtain certain local benefits if they had a direct relationship with something in that country deserving of benefits. So if you were in country and assisted in the liberation of that country, they may extend certain veteran benefits to you.
That is very interesting. Is that agreement connected WWI or WWII service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,125,044 times
Reputation: 6171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
That is very interesting. Is that agreement connected WWI or WWII service?
The VA medical care to foreign veterans is based only on current agreements to pay. So a British militray veteran can go to the US VA hospital and receive care because the British governement will pay the VA for that service.

As for what a US veteran will receive from a foreign country, that is all written into hundreds of agreements and probably is so complicated, its best to think you get nothing. But I bet that a little research will uncover the many things from free dress uniform cleaning at a military baracks to admission into a pensionaires facility for hospice care. Some may be based on particular service during a specific period, and others are just courtesies these foreigh countries extend to former militray out of respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 02:43 PM
 
30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Reputation: 14005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Maybe. It depends. Maybe on some benefits... Depends on what your talking about.

Are you aware of any cases?

Can U.S. military veterans get benefits from other countries? I served in a few overseas locations. While on active duty in Belgium we were allowed to use the Canadian PX. While on active duty in Germany we were allowed to use the German Army Cantina. Those were minimal benefits.
What about military discounts that private institutions give veterans if these foreign veterans live permanently in the USA?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-09-2015 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 02:49 PM
 
30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Reputation: 14005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The VA medical care to foreign veterans is based only on current agreements to pay. So a British militray veteran can go to the US VA hospital and receive care because the British governement will pay the VA for that service.

As for what a US veteran will receive from a foreign country, that is all written into hundreds of agreements and probably is so complicated, its best to think you get nothing. But I bet that a little research will uncover the many things from free dress uniform cleaning at a military baracks to admission into a pensionaires facility for hospice care. Some may be based on particular service during a specific period, and others are just courtesies these foreigh countries extend to former militray out of respect.
I just found this link: Treatment of Allied and Foreign National Beneficiaries - Health Benefits Home Page
It mentions WWI and WWII foreign veterans and it also mentions foreign nationals who are veterans but it doesn't say what countries. I am wondering which countries would be included in that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
Reputation: 8204
Korean Forces in Vietnam got to use the PX. There was a ROK Engineer unit in Tu Da Mot that would hit ours and the only thing left on the shelf was the paint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 05:52 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,562 times
Reputation: 10
But there is another aspect to it. It is not only about the benefits but there are many foreign veterans settled in US, they can be gainfully and effectively employed in US even in senior positions as they are well trained in the Combat and Military matters. I know a lot of them are just doing petty jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top