U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,449,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My son has been approached by private companies, one is SAICS (?). He was taken out to dinner, and given a lot of information about how awesome it would be...but, in his job, he would no longer be part of a "team", he would be going out doing the work on contract, and basically independent. Plus, when he signs his papers next year, he will probably be getting a retention bonus...or not sure what that is called. He is going to finish out his twenty. He will be 39 then...plenty of time for contracting.
SAIC is top notch. Is your son an O? I worked for them. They are the best of the bunch. MPRI is good too.

If he is so close to his 20 he should wait. But contracting is no longer the gravy train it used to be. In five years the jobs will be reduced by a significant portion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 PM

34,529 posts, read 42,694,765 times
My son opted to stay in the Army. As long as his career path continues to go the way he wants, then I guess he will stay.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Although I am not a veteran, I can tell you that private contracting is not what many make it out to be.

the first thing to consider is WHY? is it just the money or is there something else to it? The reason this must be answered is the militray compensates at a level few defense contracts can match. Sure the private Pays more in wages, but you give up so much compensation you don't realize you have in the militray that it would be costly to replace.

Contracts are starting to come under fire, that is the days (yes those wonderful days) of getting paid to do literally nothing is slowly dissapearing. For some reason (probably now more intelligent, truthful information is more available, and more people have first hand experiences) eyebrows are being raised and questions asked over the just keep pouring money on it problem of military/defense spending. So even contractors are now starting to have to tighten the belt and do a bit more with a bit less. Unless you can hitch up with someone who has the political connectin to keep the IG or auditors of their backs, contractors have been cutting wages slightly.

Whats next? I mean, what do you do after the contract is over? Unless the position has some civilian counterpart or in with civilian employers, that contract work can actually hinder further employment especially if the employer gets the feeling you left the militray to pursue the contact work as that leads them to think you may up and leave them as well.

When things go wrong and I mean really wrong, don;t expect the admeration and gratefullness of your country to be there for you and your family. Your just a a hired hand, not the sheriff....... I;m sure with some of the things I;ve done and been part of in support of militray operation and campaigns, i would have some nice medals to patrade aroyund in and maybe even a newspaper article or a seat on a convertable at the fourth of july parade. But as a contactor, private employee, hired hand, i have none and don;t expect anything cause they are paying me to do the job and i do the job and all that pomp and ceremony is not for us. Once that contract is completed we are forgotten as it should be.

I think too many think being a contractor is more than it is and in some cases, yeah its the macho rambo balls smacking adverture they long for, but most contract work is pure financial with little talk afterwards.
Damn good post. At least you accept our lot in life.

One word of advice--get private insurance from Loyds of London if you go downrange. It was about 8,000 per year but it saved my life. I got hurt in ASTAN and lost my hand and I got my check within 21 days of the injury. I am still waiting on the govt benefits.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
SAIC is top notch. Is your son an O? I worked for them. They are the best of the bunch. MPRI is good too.

If he is so close to his 20 he should wait. But contracting is no longer the gravy train it used to be. In five years the jobs will be reduced by a significant portion.
I am not sure what an "O" is..he is not close to his twenty. He just has seven years in. His plan is just to stay in...

Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am not sure what an "O" is..he is not close to his twenty. He just has seven years in. His plan is just to stay in...
SAIC does the higher end stuff opposed to a DynCorp, KBR, or CSC that does not.

Your son is likely smart to stay in. Because, once the contract gig is over he is likely to be out of a job. They don't tell you this, but it's the truth. ...contractors get underbid too so even if they still need his position filled they may in a year or two go to another company that offers to do the job for less...maybe they hire in place maybe they do not.

There is not guarantee of anything as a contractor. I would have no confidence in the guarantees of a contractor job more than one business cycle out.

Sometimes C-IED is hot other times its threat financing before that it was interrogators.

They used to hire counterinsurgency SMEs and pay them 200k + per year. When we realized that it was a failed doctrine they stopped hiring them and sent them home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues