U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM

14,023 posts, read 9,495,071 times
Default The Wall: Nurnberg, Germany

Any of you here ever stationed around Nurnberg knows what The Wall was....right?

Well, there's street view there now on Google Earth, but the...ah,....uh....wares on display in the windows are blotted out.

That's really creepy. What's creepier still is that I found on Google Earth like I knew where it was! But, it's been over 40 years since I was there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,775,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Any of you here ever stationed around Nurnberg knows what The Wall was....right?

Well, there's street view there now on Google Earth, but the...ah,....uh....wares on display in the windows are blotted out.

That's really creepy. What's creepier still is that I found on Google Earth like I knew where it was! But, it's been over 40 years since I was there!
The Wall! *nod*. 20 marks, 40 marks.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
The Wall! *nod*. 20 marks, 40 marks.

Cheaper as you went from right to left.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM

9,667 posts, read 9,278,617 times
Used to take care of patients (Soldiers), after they visited the wall.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Used to take care of patients (Soldiers), after they visited the wall.

No! You don't mean it?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Location: In Gridley which is a small town in the farm country of Northern Ca.
6 posts, read 18,510 times
I was there once a month every month while I was stationed at Monteith Barracks.
I was real young back in those days.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCee View Post
I was there once a month every month while I was stationed at Monteith Barracks.
I was real young back in those days.
When was that? I was with C 2/37th Armored at Monteith in 1970.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM

Default The Wall: Nurnberg,

I too was with C company 2/37th. I was Sgt Cole the gunner on the platoon Leaders tank in both 1970 and 71. I went back to the states right after Tank Gunnery in 1971.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCee View Post
I too was with C company 2/37th. I was Sgt Cole the gunner on the platoon Leaders tank in both 1970 and 71. I went back to the states right after Tank Gunnery in 1971.

Really? What a coincidence. I was first the loader, then the driver, then the gunner on tank 33, I think. In any case, I was the gunner at Graf that summer and we fired 3rd best in the battalion. I can't remember any of the NCO's or officers though, except a young 2LT right out of West Point named Patton.

I left there in September, 1971 for Vietnam.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Default The 2/37 Armor

I remember Lt Patton very well. One night I was pulling CQ duty and was suppose to sign the form on the arms room door every hour. The first time I went to sign it I found that it was full with no place left for me to sign. Patton was the duty officer that night and when he saw that I had not signed it he wrote it up in his report instead of coming to see me. I was charged with derelection of duty and had a day in court but I had a good defense lawyer and I beat the charge. Patton stayed away from me after that. I remember a E6 named majeskski who was suppose to have been in the German Army during WWll , I hated him. I also remember a 1st sgt named Goodwin who should of retired before he did. I remember a Black Sgt. Named Joeseph May and a good guy named George Sullivan. Then there was a misfit private named Deason. I can picture the Company Clerk whose name was Jim Strickland.

As for me I was a very young Sp4 when I was at Graff in 1971 and was a gunner. Later Sgt Goodwin picked me to attend the 4th Armored Division NCO Academy and was promoted to Sgt.E5 upon returning back to the Comany. I was skinny ( 130 lbs) and was picked on by just about everyone. I lived in the NCO Quarters at the Barracks and I drank allot, spent allot of time at the NCO club. I was regular Army and had enlisted instead of being drafted, everyone thought I was a Lifer because I did my job the best I could. In Agust of "71" I returned to post from graff before everyone else because I was getting out of the Army and on the 18th of that month I got out and went home.

Sgt. Cole------ Later I was
Owner operator of Cole Trucking
Then part Owner of Cole's Auto, Truck and Tractor Repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues