Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If they do cost more to maintain, money is saved in maintenance. The savings doesn't have to be right away to still be counted as savings; it's the total cost of a system over its life. BRAC operates entirely on that principle (it costs to close now, but over time we will get more benefits).

Note before you flame me: I didn't say I believe this. I just see the logic if they do cost less to maintain.
Okay.

I have a reputation for flaming? Oh my.

I am sorry. I did not intend to flame anyone. If I have flamed you in the past, I do apologize. It was not my intent. I understand that I may be grumpy, sometimes PTSD flares up and ... But I do try to rein it in. I am sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
The cost savings is if the women's berthing compartment is moved to a new location, swapped with another berthing compartment. If this happens, then renovations won't have to be done to two heads to remove and add urinals or extra toilet stalls. Who knows, they may make the heads unisex to make it easier on the women to use the bathroom anywhere on the ship, once inspection of messing and berthing is complete.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
You folks must be talking about the new Navy. When I was aboard CVA-62, there were no women on board and no need to worry about who was using the head.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
You folks must be talking about the new Navy. When I was aboard CVA-62, there were no women on board and no need to worry about who was using the head.
I served during the transition stage. First ship was all male. Second ship was in the yards getting ready for women. I worked in the engineroom. In our division we had at least three women who ended up leaving the division. One ran away, one bypassed the chain of command and went straight to the captain begging to switch to the ship's barbershop (guess her big breast and blue eyes were her qual sheets), and a third tried to get out of the division by claiming she was allergic to the oil. Allergy test showed she wasn't and after she was forced to go back to work, she disappeared. Other divisions had similiar problems. One girl was trying to screw her way out the Navy, another was intentionally trying to get pregnant to get out of going to sea (she was at sick call every Monday getting tested and she wasn't married nor in a committed relationship). We had women walk off the supply chain gang because they couldn't handle the weight of the food supplies. The one that went to the ship's barber shop was shocked to discover she was expected to stock the ship's store and soda machines as well as work the ship's laundry. She didn't like hard work. By this time, we'd had a change of command. She tried her old trick with the new captain who basically said either she apply herself to her job or she would get moved to deck dept as a seaman apprentice and work her way back to a rating field like everyone else. On that ship, women were allowed to walk through the male berthing compartments at any time while men had to knock loudly, loudly announce "male on deck", wait for the OK to enter, open the door, and step through a privacy curtain to enter the female berthing compartment. Pregnancies and adultery were common. A chief and her first class petty officer were caught having an affair as well as a female officer and a married Marine on the Admiral's staff. Only one female sailor I can remember on that ship who got off the ship early for a valid reason. She was in R-Div and she was super hot AND she did her work without complaint. However her menstrations had gotten so bad that she became dangerously anemic and had to be sent to the hospital. Don't know the condition they said she had but she ended up being discharged. This little girl was in such great shape she could carry a pipe patching kit up and down ladders without breaking a sweat. She passed her PT test with scores that were good to outstanding if she were a man and then she couldn't even get up a single ladder without help. We were sorry to see her go because she was one of the few who pulled her own weight.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
I wonder what people would have thought during WWll about women on board and gender neutral bathrooms watching newsreels in theaters of the battles at Midway, the Coral Sea of the Lexington, Yorktown, Wasp and Hornet being attacked by Kamikaze planes and being sunk.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:48 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Pulling your own weight or not - roughly put - a guy can use a "pot" while it is almost impossible for a female to use a urinal. Come on - they are are not yet talking about coed.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
I heard it put this way, the 10% of the ship's crew that a women do not want to sit on toilets that have been pissed on by 90% of the ship's crew that are men.

Guess that won't be an issue if the bathrooms will not be unisex.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I heard it put this way, the 10% of the ship's crew that a women do not want to sit on toilets that have been pissed on by 90% of the ship's crew that are men.

Guess that won't be an issue if the bathrooms will not be unisex.
I've been in a state rest area in which the toilet seats were on a spring. The spring kept the seat up. To sit, you grab the seat, push it down, and sit. Almost always a dry seat (unless someone is being a jerk with thei aim). Newsflash, men don't want to sit on a pissed on toilet seat either. I've noticed that some men, mostly african-americans, are afraid to touch a toilet seat or even get close to the toilet or urinal so they don't raise the seat nor stand close enough to avoid hitting the floor. Women aren't saints in this regard either. Some hover over the seat leaving a big mess behind. Another thing they do is clog up the sewage system with tampons and maxipads, neither of which belong in a toilet.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,244 times
ask any school custodian and they will tell you the girls bathrooms are always worst than the boys.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Get the women out of the men's head. Period.
You ever see what happens when you have a female in the men's head on an aircraft carrier?
I sure have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues