U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 24,858 times

Advertisements

got a quick question, my husband is in the navy. currently deploy, im trying to get into the airforce.was told i need an approaval from him,he refused and said he wants a divorce when he gets back in 6 months.
do i have to wait until he gets back to pursue my military dream, or can i take action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Default I Want To Join Military, My Husband Wants Divorce, Do I Need Approval?

got a quick question, my husband is in the navy. currently deploy, im trying to get into the airforce.was told i need an approaval from him,he refused and said he wants a divorce when he gets back in 6 months.
do i have to wait until he gets back to pursue my military dream, or can i take action?

also,we have been married two and a half years.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 AM

14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times
Don't listen to him, talk to a recruiter. However, it's probably best to get the divorce finished before going off to bootcamp.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:57 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Why would you post a question like this on a public forum when more than likely no one here knows the true answer? Go to an attorney first and get divorce papers filed legally then go to the local recruiter's office and talk to them. Then do as they tell you and move on with your life.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM

thanks sailordave.

thanks csd610, i will go see a lawyer

Old 07-19-2012, 06:19 PM

19 posts, read 65,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmgirl1 View Post
was told i need an approaval from him,.
Who told you this?

Quote:
he refused and said he wants a divorce when he gets back in 6 months..
Sorry to hear this, divorces are never fun. Just remember, up to the day of the divorce you are married. I have seen many a military career ruined because of cheating partners.

Quote:
do i have to wait until he gets back to pursue my military dream, or can i take action?.
Don't need to see a lawyer, need to talk to the recuiter. If allowed to join, all paperwork will say the facts.....you are married.

Quote:
also,we have been married two and a half years.
I will only hope there are no children involved in this.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 AM

2,633 posts, read 2,961,848 times
You don't need his approval. The only issue is if you have any children, then both of you will need to file a Dependent Care Plan with your respective service. This plan details how your kids would be cared for if one or both of you were away on orders at the same time. This requirement will apply even if you get divorced.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
You do not need his permission to join, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Spouses have no authority over you joining. They don't have to sign anything, give verbal consent, or anything else.

The only exception- if you have kids. In that case, you both have to sign what is called a "Family Care Plan" in order to get in. Of note, the Air Force will only take one parent if there are kids- so you couldn't join, period. Other brances may allow it.

No kids... then spouse has ZERO to do with you joining.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 AM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Sorry for the double post... this blows me away. Lawyers also have NOTHING to do with you joining. You don't need a lawyer for anything to do with joining... just your divoroce. You can join married, single, or divored. One has nothing to do with the other.

I'm dumbstruck as to how you could have been so misinformed.

I AM A RECRUITER by the way... so I am not answering out of what I think. I'm literally a recruiter. I have put dozens of people in the Air Force and never even spoken to some of their spouses.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 AM

19 posts, read 65,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why would you post a question like this on a public forum when more than likely no one here knows the true answer?
Why not? She is looking for answers, without talking to anyone close to the situation. Maybe because she doesn't want word to get back to her husband. Not sure where to turn, so why not go to a "military" forum? Odds are and we have proved, there are folks here that know the answer. Anyone who has served this great nation would know there would be past, present and future military personnel on board.

Quote:
Go to an attorney first and get divorce papers filed legally then go to the local recruiter's office and talk to them. Then do as they tell you and move on with your life.
Why does she need to go to an attorney? What eighteen(+) year old had to go to an attorney to join, if they didn't have their parents permission? She is her own person, not a piece of property, owned by her husband or parents!
She can't file divorce papers until her husband returns from overseas. Again, if you had served you would know this and know why. Why would the husband say no to her joining, but yet, he wants a divorce when he returns. Sounds like someone is trying to prevent her from moving on, but she is ready to move on now...for whatever reason.

The only issue here, is if there are children. I will assume there are not, since the OP didn't mention any. However, that would create a new line of approach. Not one that I am going to get into, as it may not even exist, so not need to go there.

Quote:
when more than likely no one here knows the true answer?
Why would you respond, if you don't know or have knowledge of the true answer?

Like DMarie123, this post would be funny if it wasn't so sad. To think that one person thinks they have that much control over another, to be able to control what they do with their life! Then to have someone like you respond, the way you did; without any knowledge or insight into the workings of the military, only seemed to backup what she had previously heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues