U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:21 PM

172 posts, read 113,735 times
Default The next round of BRAC (Base Realignment and closure)

There is inherently much speculation on which bases may close, especially air force bases. With big budget cuts coming, Sec. of Defense Leon Panetta is calling for two rounds of BRAC.

Which installations will survive, and which will go the way of the dinosaur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,528,841 times
My guess is they will review the 1995 BRAC bases that came close to closing. San Antonio, TX had two closures, Kelly AFB and Brooks AFB. Most of Kelly AFB was given to San Antonio (Lackland and Kelly share the runway) and is doing well being run by civilians. The same goes for Brooks. IMO, if they do another round, then Randolph AFB should be the next on the chopping block. They can move the flight training to another Texas base (Sheppard?) and the other remaining administrative functions could move to Lackland AFB.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:11 AM

405 posts, read 425,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
My guess is they will review the 1995 BRAC bases that came close to closing. San Antonio, TX had two closures, Kelly AFB and Brooks AFB. Most of Kelly AFB was given to San Antonio (Lackland and Kelly share the runway) and is doing well being run by civilians. The same goes for Brooks. IMO, if they do another round, then Randolph AFB should be the next on the chopping block. They can move the flight training to another Texas base (Sheppard?) and the other remaining administrative functions could move to Lackland AFB.
Randolph is Headquarters for AETC, and AFPC. I've never heard it mentioned as being near the chopping block ever. It will remain apart of Joint Base SA, Just too many functions to move over to Lackland. The amount of building and room needed.. just not seeing it. Yes they could move the flying up to Sheppard. But in all honesty I think your much more likely to see Laughlin close and their flying mission move to Randolph or Sheppard.

As to the topic.. I honestly don't think you will see another BRAC till around 2020. But perhaps it could come down sooner... I really can't speak for the other branches, don't know all base locations and their respective missions. So I'll just stick to my branch the Air Force and what I think some likely bases could be.

-Cannon AFB NM
-Grand Forks AFB ND
-Columbus AFB MS
-Laughlin AFB TX
-Hanscom AFB MA

Man this is hard, when I have some more time I'll try to come up with some others. One thing I must say is the big cuts need to come from ANG and Reserve Bases. I'm not being partial cause I'm active duty, just saying you can cut down quite a bit by simply moving those Guard/Reserve Units to Active Bases. I won't get into listing them all.. But take for example the State I'm currently stationed South Carolina. They have a Guard Unit of F-16s at McEntire Joint National Guard Base outside Columbia, while 45 mins the other way you have Shaw Air Force Base which could easily house those same ANG Units. Yet another example is the Arizona ANG, they have units based out of Sky Harbor International Airport. While at the same time Luke AFB is just on the other side of town. I understand States and how they like control over their Guard Units, I get it. But in today's world of the whole " Total Force" no reason we can't combine Bases/Units like these examples.

Here's a map to give you a better idea.
http://images.wikia.com/althistory/i...ilities_US.jpg

Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 AM

2,947 posts, read 3,041,220 times
Oceana will be looked at again. I live in VA Beach, and yes it will be a hit to the economy, but with the recent crash and encroachment issues I don't see it making it through another round of BRAC. I didn't realize there was another round of BRAC though.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,264,583 times
Look for:
1. More consolidation in overseas operations.
2. Bases with joint functions (both inter-branch and civilian) to be absorbing more roles.
3. Realigning and consolidating storage components for better deployment capabilities.
4. Sell off of facilities that are being coverted to civilian operations. (not really a BRAC) but look good on paper.
5. Reduction of bases in some regions as threat assesments shift to new parts of the world.
But, there is the potential for NEW consolidated facilities that do not exist or will be too expensive to retrofit for the new needs.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
Randolph is Headquarters for AETC, and AFPC. I've never heard it mentioned as being near the chopping block ever. It will remain apart of Joint Base SA, Just too many functions to move over to Lackland. The amount of building and room needed.. just not seeing it. Yes they could move the flying up to Sheppard. But in all honesty I think your much more likely to see Laughlin close and their flying mission move to Randolph or Sheppard.

As to the topic.. I honestly don't think you will see another BRAC till around 2020. But perhaps it could come down sooner... I really can't speak for the other branches, don't know all base locations and their respective missions. So I'll just stick to my branch the Air Force and what I think some likely bases could be.

-Cannon AFB NM
-Grand Forks AFB ND
-Columbus AFB MS
-Laughlin AFB TX
-Hanscom AFB MA

Man this is hard, when I have some more time I'll try to come up with some others. One thing I must say is the big cuts need to come from ANG and Reserve Bases. I'm not being partial cause I'm active duty, just saying you can cut down quite a bit by simply moving those Guard/Reserve Units to Active Bases. I won't get into listing them all.. But take for example the State I'm currently stationed South Carolina. They have a Guard Unit of F-16s at McEntire Joint National Guard Base outside Columbia, while 45 mins the other way you have Shaw Air Force Base which could easily house those same ANG Units. Yet another example is the Arizona ANG, they have units based out of Sky Harbor International Airport. While at the same time Luke AFB is just on the other side of town. I understand States and how they like control over their Guard Units, I get it. But in today's world of the whole " Total Force" no reason we can't combine Bases/Units like these examples.

Here's a map to give you a better idea.
http://images.wikia.com/althistory/i...ilities_US.jpg
Good info, I would add Beale AFB CA and Elgin AFB FL to that list. There seems to be a lot of political clout in the northeast, and I have a feelin that it will keep Hanscom from closing. But hey, who knows.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM

2,555 posts, read 1,451,547 times
Hanscom probably won't get closed. It's a major development base with access to all the academic institutes in the Boston area. Plus it hosts Guard, Reserve, and AD forces. It's the poster child for "Total Force"

Cannon AFB has dodged the BRAC bullet everytime. Last time it was slated to close, it was reprieved as a SOF base in the desert (which actually makes a lot of sense). It's mission could get moved to Edwards or Nellis.

Goodfellow definitely needs to go, as well as Laughlin and/or Sheppard. Too many AETC bases in the same area with overlapping missions. Same for Columbus and Keesler.

Eilson has some ridiculous operating costs; consolidate it with Elmendorf.

Dump Maxwell and move Air University to the Air Force Academy or AFIT at Wright Patterson. Close Gunter and move its mission anywhere out of Alabama, please.

While we're at it, get rid of half the NAF's and some MAJCOM's: these are pure middle management that do little more than suck up manpower and blow a lot of money but add little value. Start with PACAF and USAFE.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 PM

I agree on Goodfellow and Laughlin. They should shut down Keesler and move it to Columbus. You never know when another hurricane will hit.

Agree on maxwell and Gunter.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,528,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Hanscom probably won't get closed. It's a major development base with access to all the academic institutes in the Boston area. Plus it hosts Guard, Reserve, and AD forces. It's the poster child for "Total Force"

Cannon AFB has dodged the BRAC bullet everytime. Last time it was slated to close, it was reprieved as a SOF base in the desert (which actually makes a lot of sense). It's mission could get moved to Edwards or Nellis.

Goodfellow definitely needs to go, as well as Laughlin and/or Sheppard. Too many AETC bases in the same area with overlapping missions. Same for Columbus and Keesler.

Eilson has some ridiculous operating costs; consolidate it with Elmendorf.

Dump Maxwell and move Air University to the Air Force Academy or AFIT at Wright Patterson. Close Gunter and move its mission anywhere out of Alabama, please.

While we're at it, get rid of half the NAF's and some MAJCOM's: these are pure middle management that do little more than suck up manpower and blow a lot of money but add little value. Start with PACAF and USAFE.
I went to Tech School at Goodfellow AFB in 1972. I liked it there and like San Angelo. If it does get cut, they could move the firefighting training to another base in Texas or elsewhere. They could move the Intel school to Lackland in San Antonio.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:04 PM

4,265 posts, read 2,288,432 times
It depends on which politicians have the most influence.
I'm sure Trent Lott from my home state of Mississippi was responsible for helping to create the Pascagoula Naval Station, which didn't last but a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues