Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:02 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,001,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Your experiences and mine were certainly very different.

Within the community where I served, if a servicemember was not taking a few STEM college courses it was a clear sign that he was not trying to advance.

On my first boat, it was common for each officer with a Phd to teach classes during every deployment. At that time, it was seen as beneficial for their resumes.

If you know that you will be deployed for 7 months every year, it is very reasonable to plan to take a few courses.
What is your point?

I'm talking about degrees because you specifically brought up leaving the Navy with degrees.

What college can a service member attend that is actually respected in the civilian sector?

Quote:
If your plan is to go back into the workforce, after you have retired, then I guess that might happen.

Such a case would make an argument to avoid the military entirely. If you refuse to retire until your 65 or 72, or something.
Most people go back to the workforce after retiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 PM

460 posts, read 776,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domfromco View Post
Good morning/afternoon/evening wherever you are in the world.

A little about myself, I'm an NCO in the AF. Currently serving overseas and really beginning to give the future some thought for the first time. My current enlistment is up in 2015 which will be my 12 year mark. Things could change between now and then but I really don't forsee myself signing up for more time. Military life isn't hard, I'm just bored and can feel my motivation dipping lower with every e-mail about "resiliency" and things of that nature. I'm single, will only be 30, hopefully a few credits away from a backehlor and also debt free with a nice amount in savings.. I don't have much of a plan besides putting my GI Bill to use. I read this forum all the time and wonder what some of the old vets and even my peers think of getting out with so much time invested. All opinions, positive and negative are welcome. It's hard to ask people in my chain or in my immediate surrounding without getting the cookie cutter "You're crazy! You'll be flipping burgers/ door greeter at Wal-Mart" answer. Just want a neutral opinion. Thanks for reading.
Well, it is one hell of a security blanket when you have a reliable and steady income with cheap health care regardless of what you chose to do. Most enlisted will never be rich off of their military pensions, but it is a nice buffer and you can live off of it alone if you have no debt and are single. (You may not live extravagantly, but one can survive comfortably on a pension alone in parts of the country).

One benefit to having a pension to fall back on is that you don't have to take the first crappy job that comes along and hang on for dear life simply because you need a job to survive. You have to benefit of being able to choose where you want to live and what kind of work you are willing to do. If you don't like your present options, you aren't going to starve or be homeless while you work towards getting the position you want.

The last ten years goes by much quicker than the first ten, and you have the option of applying for more interesting jobs within the military when you have the rank (E-7 in the Army was a good rank for interesting assignments).

This decision is really yours alone, but I urge you to sit down with a piece of paper and list out the pros and cons of each choice, and maybe talk with a trusted Air Force mentor who will give you frank feedback on your plans. I remember feeling similar concerns at about the 10 year mark, but decided that in my situation, it would be better to go ahead and finish the journey. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 AM

948 posts, read 1,251,686 times
Whatever you do,have some sort of skill or trade that will work in the civilian world.
If you are a whiz in IT and working with computers you might have a shot at a job,but then again that's not always a guarentee. But if taking clasess take those that will benefit you like business administration,computers,etc. Make your bachelors a degree that employers are looking for.
My dad was in the Airforce for 33 years,1942-1975.He was a chief mastersargent and could have gotten a job working for H.E.B. the big south Texas grocerystore chain working with computers.However he said he was tired of them,and decided to work for the local school district as a head custodian. Didn't hurt his pride any, and he enjoyed being around the kids.
What work do you do? Maybe there are processes or other ideas you might have to make your job and others work smoother. You can maybe make suggestions on improving teamwork,etc. look at it as a challenge perhasp. Or maybe you might try to get into a little more exciting field while still in the AF.Not everyone is cut out to stay in so long as he did.
This guys have good advice. Don't rush into it come up with some sort of plan first and save as much as you can.Most people don't do that and it hurts them later on.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:02 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,064,474 times
I got out at around 4 yrs in the AF in 1976. If I didn't get out then I would have lost out on going back to my job that I had when I went in. A few years later I left that job and a year after that I got a divorce. I wish I had gone back into the AF at that time, but I didn't. I did manage to get into a career that I enjoyed. Now many years and employer changes later, but still in the same career field, I am regretting not staying in for 20.

Even if you find a civilian career that is interesting and maybe even fun, there is no guarantee it will stay that way. I am in a situation like that. It's still interesting but no fun anymore, and now that I am old enough to take reduced SS, I still need health care coverage. So I have to stick it out for a few more years, living in a state I cannot stand living in.

If you can delay your entry into civilian life by 8-10 years, you might find you get leave a bad, or even just a mediocre, job anytime after that, without fear of losing everything.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,733,675 times
I have heard statements similar to the OP's when I was a Navy draftee fresh out of boot camp at my first squadron.

I was shocked when an ADJ1 ( JET MECHANIC, E-6) was talking to me as he was checking my work and stated he wished there was a small bonus if you got out after 10 years.

He stated his first 10 years were ok, but he lost his enthusiasm now and although he would stay in for 20 to get pension, the last 10 were going to be " treading water"...his words

I was shocked because I expected every PO1 to be " gung ho" .
(Had another ADJ1 with 12 years who said he was getting out to take over his dad's grain farm in South Dakota)

He, also, said he needed a new challenge..........similar to what the OP is saying.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,608,099 times
I thought this was an amazing article.

When the Music Stops

From a civilian with no family or friends in the military, I just want to give my sincere Thanks to all veterans, active duty and reserves for your service.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 AM

948 posts, read 1,251,686 times
I don't see how anyone could think the military is dull,not talking about war here. I can understand being bored with a job,that goes for every position. My dad might have gotten bored too at times, but working in intelligence like he did all those years might have kept it at least interesting.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:06 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,754,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
I don't see how anyone could think the military is dull,not talking about war here. I can understand being bored with a job,that goes for every position. My dad might have gotten bored too at times, but working in intelligence like he did all those years might have kept it at least interesting.
I was bored out of my mind when I got out, was that way for a few years before I got out. Things settle into a routine quickly, and sea duty is the worse of it. Same game, different day; some people do not mind it, others like me just get out and go onto something else. Not saying it is bad, it is just the way it is.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,637,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
It depends on your duties/job, depends on your location, even the period, and it depends on you...

Pulling guard duty on a missile site in the U.S. 30 miles from Miami Beach, Florida is a bit nicer than pulling guard duty on the highest U.S. missile site in the world in Incheon, South Korea, 7,643 mile from home can get boring...

But some guys could save money in South Korea.

On the other hand, my second tour in Korea, twelve years later was wonderful!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 AM

307 posts, read 559,159 times
Default Separating from the military after 10 year mark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domfromco View Post
Good morning/afternoon/evening wherever you are in the world.

A little about myself, I'm an NCO in the AF. Currently serving overseas and really beginning to give the future some thought for the first time. My current enlistment is up in 2015 which will be my 12 year mark. Things could change between now and then but I really don't forsee myself signing up for more time. Military life isn't hard, I'm just bored and can feel my motivation dipping lower with every e-mail about "resiliency" and things of that nature. I'm single, will only be 30, hopefully a few credits away from a backehlor and also debt free with a nice amount in savings.. I don't have much of a plan besides putting my GI Bill to use. I read this forum all the time and wonder what some of the old vets and even my peers think of getting out with so much time invested. All opinions, positive and negative are welcome. It's hard to ask people in my chain or in my immediate surrounding without getting the cookie cutter "You're crazy! You'll be flipping burgers/ door greeter at Wal-Mart" answer. Just want a neutral opinion. Thanks for reading.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

domfromco: I see myself in your predicament. After 12 years active duty...and fantastic assignments (Thailand, France, Manila, Japan, Hawaii, recruiting duty in Atlanta...) I too, got fed up. I don't think I was bored. I went through the old school and training in the Army....but in later years, as I began to run into the "new generation" of wimps and cry babies ("I don't like what Sarge made me do...I'm going to see the chaplain!"); just got fed up. Lots of well educated ones too...cry babies, nonetheless (most, anyway).

Yes, I too, got that same "cookie cutter" comments from my peers. I didn't pay attention to them. I had already earned by Bachelors degree while in the service and was ready to take on the civilian world.
I had good admin skills in the Army and was a fast typist so had no problem landing a job...almost immediately. Also had good training in the service...which I am very thankful for. Didn't take long...moved on into a career in HR. Working for the Federal government as a civilian..took me yet, into more traveling around the world. It was like being in the service (I worked as civilian for Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps) but without the hassles of being on active duty (as a civilian, you get to decide where you want to go next). In any case, my 12 years active duty paid off! In the Federal service (civilian)....my 12 years of active duty was counted towards my retirement. I worked 20 years, add the 12 years in the military and got 32 years credit towards my retirement. I'm happy. I don't have to get a job to supplement my pension. Incidentally, needed challenges after I retired (civilian) in 2006...so I applied and got rehired as a Federal civilian and did one more tour in Germany...and retired again in 2011. Can't do that in the military.

So, with so much going for you...you're at your prime, debt-free, a nice nest egg in savings, a bachelors degree in no time.... a situation others in the same predicament you're in would envy. So go for it! Check out your options and challenge yourself. By the way, had I stayed in and retired from the military....say, 20 years, none of the 20 years will count towards my civilian retirement (only the period served in a war zone will be counted). Assuming again, that I retired as an E-7 (if lucky, right?) with 20 years, I don't think I will get anywhere near the pension I am now getting from my Federal civilian job. Most of those who retired from the service that I have known (including my son) had to get some kind of job to supplement their retirement pension from the military.

I am sure comments from others will continue to resonate long after you have left the service..."What? With 12 years done, you only had 8 more yours to go! (and you could have retired)"

Best to you. You'll do well, I'm sure. By the way...you could continue as a reservist...and eventually retire in the military...while out there pursuing a civilian career. Just a thought.

Last edited by FCStraight; 04-24-2014 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Redo sentence structure. Add another sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues