U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 11:41 AM

973 posts, read 1,298,777 times

Advertisements

I was there for OSUT for MP school. My 4 y.o. daughter has some problems so I need to keep on top of this for her and for me. I honestly hope it is not connected with this.

Fort McClellan: More Toxic Than Camp Lejeune?

Fort McClellan is the former home of the U.S. Army Military Police and U.S. Army Chemical Schools. Located in Anniston, Ala., it was one of the largest training posts the Army had to offer before the Environmental Protection Agency closed the fort down in 1999. Nearly 500,000 men were trained there during WWII, and hundreds of thousands of others used this installation to hone their military skills during the post’s 82-year history.

Read more here
Fort McClellan: More Toxic Than Camp Lejeune?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 PM

4,800 posts, read 11,085,719 times
I didn't even know Ft McClellan had closed down. I did my chemical ops training there in 1988. There were, of course, lots of chemical weapons stored there for training purposes.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 AM

1,866 posts, read 3,388,064 times
I am sorry that your child has problems. At this point I do not know if it is even possible to theorize about any effects that you may have 'carried' from your time at McMuffin-even if you went through OSUT and was in the last graduating class (the entire school relocated by May '99- my DH was a Drill Sgt and his Unit had the first Class at FLW) there were at least 7-8 years that you may have been exposed to other environmental issues.

I am not saying that you may not wonder if there is a correlation- it is only natural that you would do so. I was pregnant in Germany when Chernobyl occurred and so many babies were stillborn, pre-term or just plain HUGE. My son was two months early yet weight 8 lbs, and there were so many babies born at the same time in the nursery weighing 10 lbs or more with the largest topping in at 16 lbs (none of the moms had gestational diabetes).

I hope that you find your answers and that your daughter will receive the care that she needs and deserves. I know how hard it is when your child is hurting and you feel powerless. My prayers are with your family.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,177 times
i would like to get ahold of the PROPER paperwork (website) to help with the claim to be filed by the DAV soon. myself and two other girls joined together in 1966 and were there 10 weeks and have similar health issues(infertility,nurothophy, heart disease,memory loss from four years previous to joinin and thryoid issues) its gonna be an uphill battle. (we all had to have hysterectomies by 32) h e l p.. i am theresa hollencamp [email]groovey50@iwon.com[/email]

Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 PM

10,744 posts, read 9,640,052 times
The army is no stranger to this. Many of the old arsenals were found to be badly contaminated, along with a few depots.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM

25,237 posts, read 18,643,841 times
I just recently read about this as I was looking for more photos and information about my old unit, (some of which I shared in the "Anyone stationed in Germany?" thread), and here, just a day later, this thread pops up to the top.

What I read said that if you were at Ft. McClellan between x date and x date, you were exposed to toxic chemicals. Aside from that damned gas chamber we had to walk in to, what else were we exposed to?

I would like to read more information but kind of would like someone to just give me a summary of wth, already.

Is it true, is it not true? How did this come about that this story is being spread? If it is true, what is the government doing about it? (I KNOW, stupid question because they don't care, but I had to ask anyway.) What's the gist?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 AM

5,548 posts, read 7,096,927 times
Look at the dates you were at Ft McClellan too. I was there for 5 months in 1976 and all that was there were the WAC training and HQ and the newly arrived MP school. Believe MPs moving out and the chemical school moving in was in the late 80s maybe after that.

The gas chamber was only tear gas to simulate reaction to a chemical environment. Not chemicals. I am therefore at a loss as to what chemicals it would be other than normal toxic chemicals in military equipment at the time. I would be more like to expect toxic chemicals at Anniston Army Depot nearby than Ft McClellan.

Good luck on your quest. And I really would be curious about those dates.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 02-19-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM

33,302 posts, read 18,763,844 times
My father was an officer there and we lived in Oxford. Wow, I find that hard to believe.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:26 AM

1,866 posts, read 3,388,064 times
Dh and I were in MP OSUT in '85 and the Chem school was still there. MP school moved in '99; the first MP class at FLW was May 99.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM

26,456 posts, read 44,499,787 times

The USAG, Fort McClellan does not maintain any records of prior military or civilian service here at Fort McClellan. We cannot furnish or locate any military records for prior military service at Fort McClellan. For Points of Contact regarding additional information or documentation concerning prior service at Fort McClellan click here.

Due to the 1999 closure of Fort McClellan as an active Army installation, all historical records were archived and retired to the National Archives and Records Administration.

Environmental Cleanup: The 1995 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission approved the closure of Fort McClellan and the relocation of the U.S. Army Military Police School and U.S. Army Chemical School to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. This announcement resulted in the preparation of numerous documents that identified the environmental condition, the future land uses, and the required environmental clean up of the Fort McClellan properties prior to transfer to the public domain. These initial documents served as the basis for future environmental investigations.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues