Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:22 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

When Navy veteran Robert James Smith was buried at Skyline Memorial Gardens this month, a bagpiper and drummer played "Scotland the Brave," "My Home" and, with violin accompaniment, "Amazing Grace." A trumpeter played a solemn Taps. And a uniformed Naval reservist presented a folded flag to Smith's son, Roger, and, "on behalf of a grateful nation," thanked him for his father's "honorable and faithful service."

Son of Pearl Harbor veteran finds that military funeral honors aren't what they used to be | OregonLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 04:10 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
When Navy veteran Robert James Smith was buried at Skyline Memorial Gardens this month, a bagpiper and drummer played "Scotland the Brave," "My Home" and, with violin accompaniment, "Amazing Grace." A trumpeter played a solemn Taps. And a uniformed Naval reservist presented a folded flag to Smith's son, Roger, and, "on behalf of a grateful nation," thanked him for his father's "honorable and faithful service."

Son of Pearl Harbor veteran finds that military funeral honors aren't what they used to be | OregonLive.com
"Honors teams have, in many cases, shrunk to two people, and taps is frequently played electronically, with a digital device inserted into a bugle, rather than by a trained bugler. New York announced this month that federal budget cuts mean virtually all military funerals in the state will feature the canned version of taps beginning Oct. 1."

I have to ask-for the bugler, is it really budget cuts? How many people do *you* know who know how to play a bugle? That pool is small, shrinking, and not easily expandable.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
There has been a shortage of buglers for over 10 years... The Department of Defense tested the Digital Bugle in 2002 which is probably better than a CD player: Defense.gov News Release: NEW CEREMONIAL BUGLE TO IMPROVE VETERANS' FUNERAL HONORS

Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
My father was a WWII veteran and when he passed in 1995, not much was done for him in that manner.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
"Honors teams have, in many cases, shrunk to two people, and taps is frequently played electronically, with a digital device inserted into a bugle, rather than by a trained bugler. New York announced this month that federal budget cuts mean virtually all military funerals in the state will feature the canned version of taps beginning Oct. 1."

I have to ask-for the bugler, is it really budget cuts? How many people do *you* know who know how to play a bugle? That pool is small, shrinking, and not easily expandable.

I would think that it would be easy to expand the amount of buglers by "supply and demand" economics. Pay more and you will get more applicants. High School and College Music departments can encourage students to learn the bugle as a secondary instruments. Perhaps they can be paid as "part time" or reserve military to play at funerals. The HS where I sub teach has 40 to 60 talented band/orchestra members if only a few decided to learn the bugle too that would be more than enough for provide for the military funerals in our town.

Churches and religious organizations can look for retired military among their members to relearn/learn how to play the bugle to play at fellow church members, plus other funerals.

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts and other oganizations like that can encourage this with special badges and programs. Boys & Girls clubs and other low income/inner city can start to have programs in this this.

More newspapers and other media can do articles on the shortage to raise awareness of the problem.

I admit that I don't know all the legal ins and outs of this but I think it is important to honor the men and women who fought to protect out country. I don't agree with all of the politics and all of the wars but I still feel that we need to honor those very brave people.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
My father was a WWII veteran and when he passed in 1995, not much was done for him in that manner.
First, A military burial has to be requested.

I'm sorry to hear you appear to not be satisfied.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:

I quite frankly do not see why the government should have to pony up for a bagpiper, a drummer and a violinist for every military funeral.

I think, contrary to the man involved, that what the government provided was adequate, and how he chose to enhance the ceremony at his own expense was his business and should be his expense.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
First, A military burial has to be requested.

I'm sorry to hear you appear to not be satisfied.
They were contacted. No I am fine, I was just making note that the op sounds correct. I am happy to have had the memories I did with my father.

I just went back and took a second glance at the article. I would in no way have delayed my fathers burial for 2 weeks like that.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I quite frankly do not see why the government should have to pony up for a bagpiper, a drummer and a violinist for every military funeral.

I think, contrary to the man involved, that what the government provided was adequate, and how he chose to enhance the ceremony at his own expense was his business and should be his expense.

I don't think that people are saying that all military funerals need all those things (violin, bagpiper, etc), but I have read that not all military funerals even get someone playing a "fake" bugle. A few years ago I read that in many rural places they only have a cassette tape of "Taps" and you or the funeral home even have to provide your own cassette player and person to "play Taps" for the ceremony.

That is a sad way to honor a brave soldier who fought for our freedom in WWII, Korea, Vietnam or where-ever.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:

That's different than what I have done.
I was a volunteer in the "Honor Guard"
I was a part of many funeral services.
We provided a bugler, 7 who fired M1's for a 21 gun salute, and 2 flag folders.
Free of any charges provided by Uncle Sam.
I think Robert James Smith's son deserved not to be charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues