U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,097,074 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I'm actually asking this question for my Mother in Law. My husband just finished his 4 years of Active Duty in the Marine Corps and has never heard of this situation and nor have I- so some insight would be appreciated!

My MIL's neighbor claims that when her daughter went Active Duty in the Army, she told them she wanted to go to college. She went to Basic then enrolled at the University of Florida and did her 4 year degree and within that time lived in an apartment, and only once had to report to the military during that time for an additional 6 weeks of training. My MIL claims that she was definitely Active Duty, but didn't have to do any job in the Army, didn't have to PT, or anything.

After this girl obtained her 4 year degree, she then went the Officer route and then started doing regular Army work.

My husband and I are convinced that this girl must have been Reserves-although we know PLENTY of people who have gone to college while on Active Duty- they have still had to go to work, PT, and do all of the regular Military stuff just like anybody else!

MIL insists that this girl was definitely Active Duty, and definitely never had to report to an Army base (except that once).

My Sister in Law and Husband are currently contemplating joining the Military- but my MIL only wants my Sister in Law to join if she can go to school Full Time while on Active Duty (which as DH and I say, is very do-able but we haven't heard of the above situation before).

Has anybody ever heard of this happening? Active Duty- going to college of choice- and never having to report!?

Opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM

14,364 posts, read 6,569,519 times
While I'm not completely in-the-know about this, being recently retired, it sounds VERY much like Reserve Officer Training Corps, or ROTC, which is how I received my commission 30 years ago. Sign up, go to college, enjoy the college experience, do a one-time field training (or whatever it's called now) and at the conclusion of college, receive a commission. No other obligations to attend military functions involuntarily except as noted below. (Well, not exactly... as a scholarship recipient I was also a "contract cadet" which meant a lot of "mandatory fun", or functions such as parades, air shows, and ushering football games, since I owed the USAF for my education.)

What's missing from the MIL's descripton is the wearing of the uniform once a week as an underclassman and twice a week as an upperclassmen to ROTC classes.

I just asked this of an active duty Lt Col (I work on an Army post, odd for retired Air Force, I know) and he knew of nothing like what is described.

As for college of choice, it's limited... one must attend a college that offers the ROTC program. Not all do, and not for all branches of the service.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM

23,929 posts, read 38,400,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Has anybody ever heard of this happening? Active Duty- going to college of choice- and never having to report!?

FACT, NOT OPINION:
Never having to report? Well, yes, possible, depends on what you consider reporting... You have to account for yourself.

Around 1976 while on active duty in the U.S. Army I was offered the opportunity to go to almost any college I desired and finish getting my degree, then I could apply for OCS if dedired. It was called "Degree Completion Program" and I would have to serve 2 years for each year of college. I did not apply as I though I was getting out (Served 1968 to 1990).

There use to be a similar program called bootstrap.

My Commanding Officer in 1971/72 was a Captain without a degree, he was basically told to get a degree or you will be forced out and can not be promoted to Major. He went to UTEP for 3 years while active duty, just went to college full time, got his military pay and bonus's plus 'stipend' and never had to wear a uniform. He did so voluntarily to attend some military functions (which included marriage of one of his relatives) at Fort Bliss...

ADDED:

I should have known the Army would have a regulation for it: Army Regulation 621–1, Training of Military Personnel at Civilian Institutions http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r621_1.pdf which is a PDF document.
1–1. Purpose
a. This regulation provides policies for full-time educational programs (fully and partially funded) for active duty commissioned, noncommissioned, and warrant officers in civilian schools, commerce, or industry, and applicable service schools that offer accredited degrees (Section 4301, Title 10, United States Code (10 USC 4301)). The programs meet the Army’s need for commissioned and warrant officers to be educated at the undergraduate and graduate degree levels.
There are a lot of possibilities and opportunities...

Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,338,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hello All

I'm actually asking this question for my Mother in Law. My husband just finished his 4 years of Active Duty in the Marine Corps and has never heard of this situation and nor have I- so some insight would be appreciated!

My MIL's neighbor claims that when her daughter went Active Duty in the Army, she told them she wanted to go to college. She went to Basic then enrolled at the University of Florida and did her 4 year degree and within that time lived in an apartment, and only once had to report to the military during that time for an additional 6 weeks of training. My MIL claims that she was definitely Active Duty, but didn't have to do any job in the Army, didn't have to PT, or anything.

After this girl obtained her 4 year degree, she then went the Officer route and then started doing regular Army work.

My husband and I are convinced that this girl must have been Reserves-although we know PLENTY of people who have gone to college while on Active Duty- they have still had to go to work, PT, and do all of the regular Military stuff just like anybody else!

MIL insists that this girl was definitely Active Duty, and definitely never had to report to an Army base (except that once).

My Sister in Law and Husband are currently contemplating joining the Military- but my MIL only wants my Sister in Law to join if she can go to school Full Time while on Active Duty (which as DH and I say, is very do-able but we haven't heard of the above situation before).

Thanks!
No such thing, and I'm in a position to know. 99% solution: the 6 weeks was 'advanced camp' (now called LDAC). The rest was ROTC.

The only thing that would be even remotely what your MIL is thinking of is green to gold Active Duty Option, and that has a limit of 2 years to complete degree (e.g. must have already done 2 years) and is competitive; it's not an enlistment option.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,519,272 times
Sounds like the Army equivalent of Platoon's Leader Course in the Marines. With PLC you go to school and get offered a commission once you complete your degree but you don't have the same drilling requirements as reserves or ROTC.

Platoon Leaders Class | Officer Commissioning Program | Marines.com

Officer Candidates School (United States Marine Corps) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States Marine Corps Platoon Leaders Course

edit: you also don't get the same financial incentives as well.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM

499 posts, read 1,782,328 times
Your MILs neighbor doesn't have her facts straight. Like others have said, the story sounds like she enrolled in Army ROTC. She 100% absolutely did not enlist in the active Army to only go straight to college for her BA degree. There is no such enlistment option.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM

804 posts, read 2,379,093 times
There is a program where they send you to a four year college and you come out as an Officer then have to do atleast 6 years. I don't have the exact facts of it in front of me but I did briefly look into it.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,338,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
There is a program where they send you to a four year college and you come out as an Officer then have to do atleast 6 years. I don't have the exact facts of it in front of me but I did briefly look into it.
That would be called 'ROTC', it's 8 years commitment on commissioning. ROTC can either be:
-Scholarship unrestricted <- not active duty, pays tuition and ROTC stipend but does not pay anything else
-Scholarship GRFD <-not active duty, pays tuition and ROTC stipend, must drill with NG/Reserve, pays NG/Reserve drill pay and other benefits and ROTC stipend
-Nonscholarship reserve/guard <- not active duty, must drill with NG/Reserve, pays NG/Reserve drill pay and other benefits and ROTC stipend
-Nonscholarship <-not active duty, ROTC stipend only

Except for the *very* rare green to gold active duty option program participant, which is at most a 2-year degree completion program that you must already be on active duty to begin, and a PA-producing program that is also very rare and not a 4-year program, you're not on active duty while you are in ROTC, full stop, end of story.

There is no program where you are on active duty for the Army for 4 years attending college for your first bachelor's degree other than USMA Cadets (which is technically a very esoteric form of active duty). There are lots of crazy programs and combinations, but that just isn't possible.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 PM

3,180 posts, read 4,164,835 times
All contracts would be for 8 years.

OCS 3 active, 5 Inactive Ready Reserve
ROTC 4 active, 4 IRR
USMA 5 active, 3 IRR

And I don't think it was 6 weeks of training, most likely it was LDAC for 30 days done at Ft. Lewis up in Washington state.

The government doesn't give you something for nothing. If she accepts the commission, it's what we refer to as ADSO, Active Duty Service Obligation and people will do extra years of ADSO for various reasons such as choice of branch (MOS) or duty station.

If she doesn't accept the commission, I believe she will owe the government the cost of that education. I'm not exactly sure as I'm an OCS guy myself.

And I feel sorry for her if she has no intentions of ever doing Army stuff because the Army loves to send 2LT's to units that are soon to deploy.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 PM

466 posts, read 1,263,063 times
I agree with other folks here - this sounds like ROTC and the "6 weeks" sounds like advanced camp.

All of that being said - I am aware of at least one program that you enlist in, finish your last two years of college, and then begin your commitment as an officer after OCS. Its a Navy program called NUPOC, and you're on active duty for that 2 year period (as an E6). Its very tough to qualify and it lasts only your last 2 years. However, you are basically a civilian on AD for those 2 years. Its pretty weird.

The Navy also has STA-21, which is the Navy version of Green-To-Gold Active Duty option. Just like Green-To-Gold, it is very much NOT an enlistment option - its for really squared away folks who are already E-5+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues