Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which GI Bill do you prefer?
Montgomery GI Bill 0 0%
Post 9/11 GI Bill 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

Which bill do you support more, and why? What are the advantages of each? What are the disadvantages?

And lastly, which one is easiest to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
There is no one simple answer. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has a good page with Benefit Comparison Tools: Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM

455 posts, read 898,148 times
Personally, I've used the post-911 (haven't used the old one) and it was pretty easy based on the fact that the VA paid the school directly and I didn't have to deal with anything more than filling out the standard financial aid form each time I registered for a new semester.
The old GI bill just paid a sum to you, and you would then have to go through the process a normal human goes through with paying the cashier and all that. Not terribly more difficult or anything, but it's easier to accidentally spend money in the bank than it is for the VA to forget to pay your tuition for you.

The Post-911 also gives you a monthly housing allowance that is equal to an E-5 with 1 dependent, and based on the zip code of your school, and also based on your benefit eligibility level and how many credit hours you are taking for that particular semester. So, for me, at 100 percent eligibility, and taking 12 credit hours, I got about 1,100 dollars a month for housing in addition to a books and supplies stipend paid out for the semester, in addition to the full tuition paid.

The Monty GI bill basically just gives you a lump sum of all this and says "do what you gotta do". While this may seem attractive to some, it's important to remember that it adds more personal responsibility to the equation, and for some, it might just be easier to let the VA sort this stuff out and know that what you get in your bank account is not going to cut into your tuition payments.

With all this in mind, I obviously support the Post-911, because I've used it and gotten a degree with it. I'm sure anyone could do the same with the Monty, but I didn't have to use any brainpower with the Post-911. And I liked the fact that I wasn't tempted to use tuition money for other expenses, which I probably would have done unknowingly with all the money in one bank account.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
My husband is using the Post 9/11 GI Bill. It was the one that his school recommended, as well as the one that counselors at the Marine Corps base recommended before he got out.

So far, so good! I'm sure both are fine, but it just depends on your personal needs. For us, the Post 9/11 is simple- as others have said, they pay tuition to your school and we just get the BAH.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
In general, the Post 9/11 GI bill has a much greater potential monetary value. Of course, there are situations which are exceptions too, so definately be careful choosing based on your own current and future training plans and goals.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM

I forgot to add the very obvious pro to the post-911...

Infinite certification reimbursements. (obviously this is relative to whether you have benefits left or not)

Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
I forgot to add the very obvious pro to the post-911...

Infinite certification reimbursements. (obviously this is relative to whether you have benefits left or not)
For life? Because many in the teaching field and medical field must get annual recertifications and tests that cost a few hundred dollars. It covers that?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
For life? Because many in the teaching field and medical field must get annual recertifications and tests that cost a few hundred dollars. It covers that?
Not for life. You have a maximum time of being eligible to use your benefits. I think this is 15 years if I'm not mistaken. In that 15 year window, you can utilize your benefits any time you want, however you're limited by I think 36 months of actual benefits that get paid, assuming your eligibility level is 100%. So let's say you start going to school... you can do 36 months worth of semesters in any order at any time for those 15 years. Once you use up 36 months, you have none left.

For certifications, I'm not sure how it works out in the spectrum of the 36 month's of benefits, but at the very least, you should be able to get reimbursed within the 15 year window of eligibility. They reimburse for the cost of the test, up to 2,000 dollars, and you can take them multiple times, and they will reimburse for failed tests.

It may be worth it to contact a VA rep and ask how it plays into the amount of benefits you're eligible for.

Edit:
Also, the tests have to be approved certs. The VA has a list of them, I believe. But they're all going to be your standard recognized certs in all industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues