Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

You must of a Bachelors Degree to apply for Air Force Officer Training School (OTS): Joining the Air Force: Officer Overview - airforce.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
That is not to say that they couldnt transfer that Associates to a Bachelor, complete the program and apply after getting in as enlisted. Good training all the way and experience as an enlisted IMHO usually makes for a better officer. I stress USUALLY.

Enlisted Army here 34 years and all enlisted. Rules for the army are different.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
That is not to say that they couldnt transfer that Associates to a Bachelor, complete the program and apply after getting in as enlisted. Good training all the way and experience as an enlisted IMHO usually makes for a better officer. I stress USUALLY.

Enlisted Army here 34 years and all enlisted. Rules for the army are different.
The Army Officer Candidate School (OCS), Milper Message Number, 11 - REGULAR ARMY OFFICER CANDIDATE SCHOOL PROGRAM:

https://www.benning.army.mil/infantr...PER_11-317.pdf

Quote:
A. POSSESS A BACCALAUREATE DEGREE FROM AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The Army Officer Candidate School (OCS), Milper Message Number, 11 - REGULAR ARMY OFFICER CANDIDATE SCHOOL PROGRAM:

https://www.benning.army.mil/infantr...PER_11-317.pdf

It is a change that came out in 11 I see. Thanks for the update. Since I am NG that would mean I missed that cut off about 21 years ago. Darn. I even have the degree.

Great post. Hopefully the information will help the OP and others

Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
In the mid 90's when I was still in the AFRES, there was a guy in my unit that only had his associates. 6 months later, he had finished his bachelors and applied to OTS and eventually went that route.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vargasb View Post
Hi there, as the Title states, i am joining the Air Force, but first woyld like some insight & Advice. PLEASE no rude comments i have already had people judge me & tell me that i am a bad person. So if you are going to be rude, please don't bother.
First off, i am 21 years old, i have a 3 year old son & i am engaged to his father. We have been together for 7 years now & plan to wed towards the end of the year AFTER i graduate from college & get my Associate's Degree in Criminal Justice. After all that is when i am planning to join the Air Force. I have been to talk to a recruiter & I'm working on the things i need done before i can actually enlist.
The advice i an looking for is first, if there are any FEMALE mothers in the Air Force, can you please help me on what life would be like? I am joining to make my son & fiancé proud of me. To better his future, & give him a good out look on life. I have been trying to do research on mothers in the Air Force, but i haven't come up on anything.I just don't want my son to think that I'm joining to leave him on purpose.
2nd, what are good jobs in the air force? Something that will be good for both me & my family? My brother is currently in already, but he's stationed in Japan, so it's hard for us to talk when i have questions & for him to walk me through all this. Please, if you have any insight, or additional advice on how to prepare myself both mentally & physically i would GREATLY appreciate it! Thank you!!

To be honest with you they might not take you because you are a single mother unless you make arrangements prior to your enlistment.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 AM

49 posts, read 165,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Not sure if you can get into OCS with just an Associates degree--I thought you needed a four year degree.
My mistake; I read graduating from college and missed the associates part.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Excellent point here. A degree in criminal justice will put this OP on the path to a career in JAG and beyond. OCS would be the best path to take.
Currently, unless you have a degree in one of the math, science or medical fields (with a possible political science as the exception), your chances of OTS are slim to none....tooooo many folks with liberal type of degrees trying to get in. Most common these days are:

psychology, criminal justice and the arts

Hardcore sciences and math are hurting BADLY, and of course, lots of folks use the military to recoup or pay for their medical degrees, so those are always in need as there is a "rotating door" syndrome with those positions as their "commitment" is paid out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues