U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM

10,115 posts, read 6,733,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What "question?" What happened here is no mystery. He made a particularly bad choice and now is suffering the consequences.

He didn't have to walk away at all. He could have stayed on active duty with a nice cushy desk job stateside.
I edited my post above while you were typing. The question is why he left early. That was fairly obvious.
How do you know if they would have guaranteed him a "cushy desk job" as a reservist or not? You're doing a whole lot of speculating without much to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We can easily agree that it shouldn't take 8 months - bureaucracies suck. But it does sound as if the guy had some options he chose not to go for. Seems like military units would have fistfights to have him as an instructor, but if he simply wants out of the military before the stint is up, well...
That's why I'm wondering if it's a mental health issue--the Navy Seals deal with the worst of the worst situations. Leaving early doesn't make much sense under other circumstances--why would anyone just walk away unless they couldn't take it any more? I could be very wrong--it's total speculation on my part and I admit that. I do think they need to streamline the process to help people more quickly if that's how long it takes to get their disability through--it's the least we can do as a nation to thank them for their service.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 AM

20,894 posts, read 13,119,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
How do you know if they would have guaranteed him a "cushy desk job" as a reservist or not? You're doing a whole lot of speculating without much to back it up.
I'm a West Point graduate. I am very familiar with the military's policies regarding disability retirements.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Leaving early doesn't make much sense under other circumstances--why would anyone just walk away unless they couldn't take it any more?
The belief that they could cash out their experience in other ways. Book deals, well paid contractor opportunities, there are a lot of reasons somebody might see their opportunities outside the service to be attractive enough to leave at 16.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I'm a West Point graduate. I am very familiar with the military's policies regarding disability retirements.
Then why not share your understanding of the situation vs. sniping at people? I'd like to understand this better, and you could probably shed some light on some of this. Is he guaranteed a desk job until he could retire? What happens if it really is a mental health issue, and he can't cope with being there longer?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
The belief that they could cash out their experience in other ways. Book deals, well paid contractor opportunities, there are a lot of reasons somebody might see their opportunities outside the service to be attractive enough to leave at 16.
Typing at the same time again... I understand that he would have those opportunities, but wouldn't he have lined those up before he left if he was in any kind of physical or emotional shape to pursue them? Most rational people don't just walk off of a job without another lined up and ready to go unless they're at a place where they can't take it one more day. Again--that's why I'm wondering about the mental health issue. I can see regular enlisted personnel doing dumb things without thinking, but the Navy Seals are the cream of the crop both mentally and physically.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Then why not share your understanding of the situation vs. sniping at people?
Posts get the responses they have earned. No more and no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547
I'd like to understand this better, and you could probably shed some light on some of this. Is he guaranteed a desk job until he could retire?
No. He is guaranteed a desk job until his disability claims have been adjudicated and MILPERCEN determines whether to retire him or return him to full duty.

Quote:
What happens if it really is a mental health issue, and he can't cope with being there longer?
The same.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Posts get the responses they have earned. No more and no less.

No. He is guaranteed a desk job until his disability claims have been adjudicated and MILPERCEN determines whether to retire him or return him to full duty.

The same.
There's absolutely no need to be so rude.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Typing at the same time again... I understand that he would have those opportunities, but wouldn't he have lined those up before he left if he was in any kind of physical or emotional shape to pursue them?
That depends. Some people would, some people wouldn't. Human behavior is a continuum.

Quote:
Most rational people don't just walk off of a job without another lined up and ready to go unless they're at a place where they can't take it one more day.
Most people who become Navy Seals do not look at "jobs" the same way you and I do. They are extraordinary in ways that should probably give you pause to use your own modes of decision making as a model for theirs. Many have a certain bias for action over planning.

Quote:
Again--that's why I'm wondering about the mental health issue. I can see regular enlisted personnel doing dumb things without thinking, but the Navy Seals are the cream of the crop both mentally and physically.
Everybody occasionally does dumb things without thinking. It's called the human condition.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
There's absolutely no need to be so rude.
You thought that was "rude?" I thought it was "obvious."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues