U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM

58,610 posts, read 32,015,814 times

Advertisements

Strange he quit only a few years before hitting the 20 year line which would qualify him for a nice pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,539,803 times
I'm in agreement with everyone else, he left early, what befalls him is his responsibility. Had he retirered from Navy, his medical would have been paid.

On a side not, IF this is the person who shot and killed OBL, he is one very trained and, moreover, sought after person. His training and experience is highly sought on the private market. In fact, he could join the many civilian training companies out there, training police, civilians, et al in firearms and tactics. And again, because of his unique set of skill sets, he would be very marketable and quite profitable.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,364,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Strange he quit only a few years before hitting the 20 year line which would qualify him for a nice pension.
Me thinks some right wing nut job is claiming to be something he or she isn't.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM

41,256 posts, read 32,917,163 times
Quote:

My money's on the assertion that he didn't quit voluntarily.

As our military budget is cut even deeper, get ready for an onslaught of new job seekers hitting the streets. And what a great economy to come home to.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM

58,610 posts, read 32,015,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My money's on the assertion that he didn't quit voluntarily.

As our military budget is cut even deeper, get ready for an onslaught of new job seekers hitting the streets. And what a great economy to come home to.
He retired on his own because he wanted to be with his family. He was not forced out.

Quote:
But six months after leaving the military, because "I wanted to see my children graduate and get married," he is physically and psychologically wrecked. He left the military a few years short of retirement eligibility and now has no job and is not qualified for a pension. Read more: SEAL who killed Bin Laden reportedly disabled, jobless | Fox News

Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,364,546 times
Quote:
He retired on his own because he wanted to be with his family. He was not forced out.

Key words "who says he was the SEAL who put three in Usama Bin Ladens head"

No proof, just an account that's already been made public. Everyone after their 15 minutes.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
The article doesn't say that he quit voluntarily or to be with his family.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,539,803 times
Quote:
If this is true its every worse for him. Every branch of the service has men and women assigned, which goes over all benefits, etc awarded to you doing your career. Someone would have sat down with him and told him he was getting nothing. Zip. Zero. Notta. He still made the decision to quit anyway. And he didn't retire, he QUIT early.

Not too mention, if he didn't check into all of this before he quit, who's fault is that? HIS. He should have known better and should have planned alot better. As a special forces operative, he should have known the 6 p's: Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

And as I said before, with his skill set, he won't be unemployed for long. IF he actually want to work and find a job. Companies all over would be willing to pick him up, just for the PR purposes.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
If this is true its every worse for him. Every branch of the service has men and women assigned, which goes over all benefits, etc awarded to you doing your career. Someone would have sat down with him and told him he was getting nothing. Zip. Zero. Notta. He still made the decision to quit anyway. And he didn't retire, he QUIT early.

Not too mention, if he didn't check into all of this before he quit, who's fault is that? HIS. He should have known better and should have planned alot better. As a special forces operative, he should have known the 6 p's: Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

And as I said before, with his skill set, he won't be unemployed for long. IF he actually want to work and find a job. Companies all over would be willing to pick him up, just for the PR purposes.
I can't find anything in the article that states, or even implies, that he left voluntarily. It wouldn't be a matter of being "forced out" if his enlistment came up and he was simply not allowed to re enlist. His commitment would have been served and he would have simply been honorably discharged.

We're going to see a lot of that with these military budget cuts. ESPECIALLY for those who have been struggling with PTSD, or who have gotten in ANY trouble during their enlistment, or who are overweight, etc. Any excuse - and no excuse. The military doesn't guarantee anyone 20 years - and they don't guarantee that you can re enlist just because you want to.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 PM

In fact, I've been googling news reports about this guy for the past hour and I can't find ANYTHING that says he VOLUNTARILY left the military. Now - you'd think that would be an integral part of the discussion, if that's how it went down. But all I can find is that he "left the military" after 16 years of service.

People do that - but it's not what I personally would recommend.

Also, sometimes people are offered a separation packet in lieu of serving the remainder of their commission or enlistment. Or they're just not given the option of re enlisting - but simply an honorable discharge. We also have no idea whether or not he received any disciplinary actions recently. We just don't know.

It's all speculation.

I do know that there are lots of benefits available out there for veterans INCLUDING job training for new jobs. My son, for example, is going to get his CDL and some welding training as part of his veterans' benefits. He's also going to receive partial disability due to injuries received during combat service. Not to mention a whole slew of other benefits.

But you gotta push. No one's going to come up to you and say, "Here - TAKE THESE BENEFITS - THIS ONE...AND THIS ONE...AND DON'T FORGET THIS ONE!"

Of course, if you don't get an honorable discharge, you do not qualify for many veterans' benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues