Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:46 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You do get that the SEALs are part of the Navy, right?
I think OP realizes that, but, given the Seals have a mandatory minimum 6 year enlistment, OP is concerned about whether a sailor's Seals contract would replace his original contract as far as time commitment goes or whether it is merely tacked onto the time he's already committed to serve (which is where his 9 year figure came from).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:55 AM

408 posts, read 722,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think OP realizes that, but, given the Seals have a mandatory minimum 6 year enlistment, OP is concerned about whether a sailor's Seals contract would replace his original contract as far as time commitment goes or whether it is merely tacked onto the time he's already committed to serve (which is where his 9 year figure came from).
YES!!!!!!!!Thank god somebody understood the original question.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:05 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
In Air Force Instruction AFI 36-2107, active duty service commitments (ADSCs) are listed for certain specialties; the Navy likewise has similar policies, since they're reiterations of DoD instructions. The text from the AFI:

1.1.3. Members usually serve new ADSCs concurrently with existing ADSCs. However, members serve ADSCs for Funded Legal Education Program/Excess Leave Program (FLEP/ELP) (Table 1.1.), Educational Leave of Absence (ELA) program (Table 1.1.) and health professions officer education/training (Table 1.2.) after fulfilling all previously existing initial ADSCs and in accordance with special pays which require a contractual agreement as prescribed by ASD(HA).

1.1.4. An ADSC does not establish and is independent of a date of separation.

1.1.4.1. Enlisted personnel serve on active duty in accordance with their enlistment contracts.

As an example, when I was commissioned I had a four-year active commitment as an officer. After pilot training I had an additional six year ADSC, which started the day I graduated. This was tacked on to my existing commitment. As a result, since I had been in a year when I finished pilot training, my total initial service commitment was seven years, the year past plus the six ahead. Had I withdrawn from pilot training there would have been a two year commitment for PCS and training, which as a concurrent ADSC would end before my commissioning commitment.

Unless the SEALs have special rules like the ones in 1.1.3 above, it looks like a Navy enlisted person with three years served at the conclusion of SEAL training would be obligated a total of nine years at which point he'd be eligible for separation.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 01-07-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 01:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
do they have to fulfill the Seals contract along with the Navy contract they already signed? Or do they just serve out their Seals contract? For ex. If somebody signed a Navy contract to serve active duty as a firefighter for 4 years. After his first year he decides he wants to be a Seal. Will he have to serve 9 years active duty (3 left on his original contract + 6 for Seals) or will he simply have to serve 6 years active duty with the Seals, since I'm assuming his Seals contract will supersede his previous Navy contract.

Path 1: Enlist as a civilian ?

Path 2: Enlist while in the Navy and apply for a transfer ?

Path 3: Enlist from another branch of military service ?

Etc...

To become a SEAL, you must be in the Navy. There are three paths you can choose from to become a Navy SEAL: Navy SEAL Enlisted Application Steps - SEALSWCC.COM | Official Website U.S. Navy SEALs

The above is the Navy SEAL web page, it lists a lot of the requirements. They also have a phone number you can call.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:00 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
I never met anyone in Special Operations who was concerned about the length of commitment. Whether it be 6 years or 9 years, they were going to be a Seal, Green Beret, etc. That was their concern.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:52 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
He would serve 6 years total enlisted....maybe. It could be that he would be required to serve 6 years from the date he opted for SEAL......most likely. Thats what happens when you opt to reup. My original commit was for 6 years....at 4 years I did a reup for 6 more. Technically I was discharged from my original 6 year term and then reenlisted for a 6 year term with a 2 year reserve. So I only completed 4 years then another 6 for the new enlistment.

I am thinking that the most likely outcome would be that the SEAL enlistment would be treated just like a reup. He would be discharged from the original contract and the SEAL contract for 6 yrs would begin at that point.

In no case would he serve 3 more to complete the original enlistment and then another 6 for being a SEAL.

Last edited by justanokie; 01-07-2015 at 11:05 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 03:54 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
YES!!!!!!!!Thank god somebody understood the original question.

I think you would have to be in much better shape than you currently are to even consider the Seals as a career.

The test just to enter Seal training is very difficult for people who are not over weight.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think you would have to be in much better shape than you currently are to even consider the Seals as a career.

The test just to enter Seal training is very difficult for people who are not over weight.
The question is hypothetical

Old 01-08-2015, 12:10 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
The community that I served within, required an initial 6-year contract. Two years to allow for schooling and four years to work off that schooling.

I suspect that from the date that you graduate BUDs you would sign a new contract. That new contract supersedes any previous contracts.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The community that I served within, required an initial 6-year contract. Two years to allow for schooling and four years to work off that schooling.

I suspect that from the date that you graduate BUDs you would sign a new contract. That new contract supersedes any previous contracts.
Actually the contract is started before you even start BUD/S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues