U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM

4,141 posts, read 985,847 times

Advertisements

Air Force age limit is 39, you won’t be able to serve in that branch or any branch.

At 40 years old you had 22 years of chances to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 PM

3,118 posts, read 9,091,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40.female.service View Post
I am 40 and am dying to join the airforce. My Grandfather was a cornell in pear harbor and many of my other family served. I am very healthy and in great physical condition. Just wondering if there is any possible way. I have citizenship here and in canada and was in canada when the age was extended and didnt know until now. So upset to have missed it by a matter of months.

I did begin taking nursing years ago but then transfered my studies to business. I spent many years in care provision working wiith a non profit that cares for adults with extreme mental and physical disabilities. I was a care provider for many years while in school to a women with cp and a seizure disorder... Would this give me any credit of any sorts?

The other question I have is, if there is no hope unless I go back to school for health care; would phychology qualify me? If I got my masters in Phychology over the next two years (putting me at 43) would I then be able to join the airforce reserve and be qualified to get my doctorate at that time?

What would be the time period to serve at that time? What would I be doing in the reserve? could/ would I become active after that? What would be my options from there?

Would there be any potential of also learning to fly at that point?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all these questions This thread is very helpful

one last curious question, is there chaplins in the airforce?

There is zero chance of enlisting or going normal officer (pilot, etc). For the Air Force, they can do a waiver up to age 47 for doctors and nurses for Active Duty. It's unusual but it is possible. There are no other possibilities of joining at this age except perhaps as a chaplain.

"10 U.S. Code ß 1251: Mandatory retirement age is age 62 for all officers other than general or flag officers. Service Secretaries may defer the retirement of health professional officers and chaplains until the age of 68."

The age of 41 is the generally accepted age for health care officers in the Air Force due to retirement prospects. If you join between 41 and 47 you have to attest in writing that you realize you will be unlikely to ever be allowed to stay 20 years to retirement. Service Secretaries may let you serve to age 68, but you have to do a complex waiver EVERY YEAR after age 62 and we just don't need nurses that bad.

The only way you can come in with a psychology degree is to do a internship and get licensed with 1200 hours or practice PRIOR to applying, and I'm not sure a masters degree will work. They're generally looking for PhD, but if your state will license you with a Masters, maybe. The liscensing process likely adds a couple years due to clinicals and exams. To join as a nurse, you'd need to hurry and get your BSN and RN, and then they usually want 6 months of full time work experience in an inpatient hospital (no school nurse, prison nurse, eldery home). You would need to be a patient-treating medical "provider" of some sort to join at this age.

I have no idea of the qualifications to become a chaplain. I assume you need you need a masters in theology but I'm not sure, I have no experience with that. I do have experience with health professions recruiting so that part I know. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 781 times
Thank you kindly for being so generous with your time to answer these questions. It shows your great commitment to people and to our country and is grately appreciated to get an answer with so much diplomacy, generosity and lacking any ego. It is leaders like your self that attract all the minds, experiences and people needed to fufill on protecting and making this country and world great!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 781 times
I cant seem to reply to Rocko but your responses seem like they are based out of your own ego and not lookinng to see what your country may need. Hope you can turn that around in this time of great need

Old 05-17-2018, 11:51 AM

4,141 posts, read 985,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40.female.service View Post
I cant seem to reply to Rocko but your responses seem like they are based out of your own ego and not lookinng to see what your country may need. Hope you can turn that around in this time of great need
Not sure what you mean by that, rules are rules.

It’s hard enough to to be in constant contact with an Air Force recruiter without waivers. I was 19 when I joined almost 10 years ago, still had to harass my recruiter as he was never around. And I didn’t need any waiver

Old 05-19-2018, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 330 times
I’m 40 yrs old and I’m very interested in joining the Air Guard. Who can I talk to about joining??? Hopefully I can still join even thou I’m 40

Old 06-11-2018, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 123 times
I am 53 and have a Diploma RN, will finish MSN 2019,and prior service. is it possible to Enlist as a psychiatric RN with management potential?

Old 06-11-2018, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 330 times
Default Love the Air Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKeith77 View Post
Iím 40 yrs old and Iím very interested in joining the Air Guard. Who can I talk to about joining??? Hopefully I can still join even thou Iím 40
. I have no college degree or anything like that but Iím a fast learner and skilled. I work in a factory and I donít wanna spend 20 yrs in it. I wanna live out my dreams in the air guard.....please contact me or leave me a msg

Old 06-11-2018, 04:47 PM

124 posts, read 59,972 times
visit a guard recruiter.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:09 PM

3,118 posts, read 9,091,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnurse2001 View Post
I am 53 and have a Diploma RN, will finish MSN 2019,and prior service. is it possible to Enlist as a psychiatric RN with management potential?
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues