U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 AM

7 posts, read 84,634 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much dmarie!

Can my family send letters too?

What city and state do they go for training as commissioned officer in the air force?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Sorry! I totally misread it. No, they don't take your stuff. They lock up things you don't need to help keep you focused, but you get it back upon graduation. They take your cell phone, and give it to you peridically to make calls home. You can write letters.

They check your lockers because they give you really specific rules. For example, you hangars have to be evenly spaced, shirts folded a certain way, no water left in your iron, etc. It is to teach you attention to detail, keep you busy, enforce discipline, and probably some other reasons I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,637,191 times
Officer Training School is in Montgomery Alabama. It's TOTALLY different. You only have 1 roommate, wifi, can keep your cell phone (except in class), have your computer in your dorm room for Skype and communication, and can even possibly leave base on the weekends towards the end. Google "OTS HOLM CENTER" and you can access their website with income student info, rules, etc.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,106 times
Quote:
I am a recruiter for the Air Force. You do NOT need a waiver. You either have a lazy recruiter or a confused recruiter. Asthma BEFORE the age of 13 is NOT a disqualier. You need to get your medical records and have your recruiter submit them to MEPS. MEPS will clear you (baring other issue or there being more to the story). The regulation used for medical entrance says, "Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday, does not meet the standard." (the standard for military entrance). As such, ashtma before age 13 is NOT an issue. There is no regulation anywhere that disqualifies people for ashtma before their 13th birthday... this is a very common misconception- even sometimes amoung recruiters.

I have personally put people in the Air Force who had childhood asthma without having to do any waivers or extra work. I've even gotten waivers for people with asthma after the 13th birthday who had medical records showing no symptoms or treatment for the past few years, and/or could pass a pulmonary function test. Asthma is often over-diagnosed, and MEPS realizes this.

See how the regulation says it has to be "RELIABLY" diagnosed? Becuase too many doctors just diagnose it without any real testing. The regulation goes on to say, "Reliable diagnostic criteria may include any of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea that persists or recurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months."
Hi guys,

My name is Oscar Maldonado, 19 years old and was born in 1994. I just wanted to ask a quick question.

I am trying to sign up for the Air Force, but I am very worried I will be disqualified because of my medical history. I had pneumonia when I was 4 that made me stay in a hospital for about a week, had bronchitis a couple of times in middle school up to my Freshman year of high school, and I believe I was falsely diagnosed with Asthma when I was 12,. I don't need or use an inhaler to do any physical activities. I was in Cross-Country high-school (and I still run to work out), play Soccer with my friends every now and then, and I feel perfectly fine. I don't use or even need an inhaler to do any of these things. Last time I ever used in an inhaler was in 2008-2009 (was 13 or 14 at the time) when I was in Cross-Country because my overly worried mother wanted to me use it since I told her I wasn't using it (since I didn't feel like I needed to use it).

My question is, would I be disqualified with this kind of history and what can I do to prove to them I'm perfectly fine? I called my recruiter and he told me it would be best that I took some kind of pulmonary test. I made an appointment and they said they will give me the test in 7-10 day since I need to wait for an approval from my medical insurance. Would this be enough or should I also make an appointment for any other tests?

Thank you so much in advance,
- Oscar M.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 AM

Pulmonary Function Tests can help "prove" you don't have asthma. Only asthma that was "reliably diagnosed" is a diqualifier. If you can't get records showing your diagnosis, they will assume it was reliable. If you had it diagnosed without testing, it's a good chance MEPS will not consider that "reliable."

Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,928 times
dmaire123,
I am trying to re-enlist in the Air Reserves with 6 years prior Army NG service. I started the process about a month prior to my 46th birthday. It took a while to get my dd214 and now the recruiter says we don't have time to get me in before my birthday. Is there prior examples of age waivers if I have already started the process? I am in excellent health with zero medical issues.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM

4,148 posts, read 4,068,460 times
Lightbulb not likely

The air force reserves are drawing down like every branch And it is making waivers less likely to get approved. Most wings have waiting lists of eligible recruits and it's easier to get them in so it is a common understanding to go for the easier route for a recruiter

Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,825 times
Quote:
I am a recruiter for the Air Force. You do NOT need a waiver. You either have a lazy recruiter or a confused recruiter. Asthma BEFORE the age of 13 is NOT a disqualier. You need to get your medical records and have your recruiter submit them to MEPS. MEPS will clear you (baring other issue or there being more to the story). The regulation used for medical entrance says, "Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday, does not meet the standard." (the standard for military entrance). As such, ashtma before age 13 is NOT an issue. There is no regulation anywhere that disqualifies people for ashtma before their 13th birthday... this is a very common misconception- even sometimes amoung recruiters.

I have personally put people in the Air Force who had childhood asthma without having to do any waivers or extra work. I've even gotten waivers for people with asthma after the 13th birthday who had medical records showing no symptoms or treatment for the past few years, and/or could pass a pulmonary function test. Asthma is often over-diagnosed, and MEPS realizes this.

See how the regulation says it has to be "RELIABLY" diagnosed? Becuase too many doctors just diagnose it without any real testing. The regulation goes on to say, "Reliable diagnostic criteria may include any of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea that persists or recurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months."

So I have a question... I was disqualified from the CG for having infantile seizures and have a very small fat deposit between the 2 hemispheres of my brain (it has not changed in shape or size)- I have not had one(a seizure) in over 25 years old. I am 26 and have had no signs, symptoms or deficits and have managed to graduate college with a science degree. Is this something I would be disqualified for?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander496 View Post
dmaire123,
I am trying to re-enlist in the Air Reserves with 6 years prior Army NG service. I started the process about a month prior to my 46th birthday. It took a while to get my dd214 and now the recruiter says we don't have time to get me in before my birthday. Is there prior examples of age waivers if I have already started the process? I am in excellent health with zero medical issues.

I'm sorry. I only recruit Active Duty and have no clue about Reserve rules and regulations. On active duty, we can adjust your age for the prior ARG time. I don't know the Reserve rules on that. I'm sorry.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirra_ngi13 View Post
So I have a question... I was disqualified from the CG for having infantile seizures and have a very small fat deposit between the 2 hemispheres of my brain (it has not changed in shape or size)- I have not had one(a seizure) in over 25 years old. I am 26 and have had no signs, symptoms or deficits and have managed to graduate college with a science degree. Is this something I would be disqualified for?
You were already disqualified? I don't understand your question about if you would be disqualified if you already were. Confused. Do you mean if you would be disqualified from the Air Force? Yes. If you are disqualified from one branch by MEPS, you are disqualified by all (Same MEPS serves all brances). You can ask each individual branch's SG to waive a MEPS DQ. I can't tell you if the AF would approve or not, all you can do is talk to a local recruiter and try.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,564 times
Did you get into the air force? If you did how was it going through the gas chambers with asthma?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues