U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 16,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Pulmonary Function Tests can help "prove" you don't have asthma. Only asthma that was "reliably diagnosed" is a diqualifier. If you can't get records showing your diagnosis, they will assume it was reliable. If you had it diagnosed without testing, it's a good chance MEPS will not consider that "reliable."

DMARIE123 Is it possible to get though the Gas chambers in BMT if you have asthma? Or if you receive a waiver will you be excused?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 10,027 times
dmarie123, have a friend who is an operating room nurse in Texas and who had asthma as a child. She wanted to join the USAF as a reserve nurse, but friends told her NO WAY you get in because you had asthma. It looks like that may not be the case. If she were to have a pulmonary function test, is there a value or measurement that the USAF would approve? Many thanks.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM

2,812 posts, read 7,857,821 times
You guys need to start new threads so I don't miss these questions.

Jamie7, I have never heard of anyone being excused from the gas chamber (but I don't work at basic training, so I'm not really in the know). I've also NEVER heard of anyone getting an asthma waiver who CURRENTLY has asthma... why, because you're already trying to get out of things that happen in your first weeks of the Air Force. The idea of a waiver for asthma is more for asthma (past) that won't hinder your ability to serve. If you are still on medication and/or need an inhaler, I don't see any chance of getting any waiver to join. Sorry.

Greektomemom, She probably talked to her friends who are NOT recruiters. Even enlisted recruiters may not know. Recruiting for nurses is a little different. They still go to MEPS, but medical waivers are usually more lenient. Asthma before the age of 13 is NOT disqualifying per the regulation AR 40-501. Many people (even recruiters) are missinformed about that. Asthma that was not symptomatic for a period of one year is also not disqualifying (a one time attack is not even enough to diagnose asthma, not really, although doctors will). She should have zero issue getting through MEPS, and if she can't get through MEPS, I'd bet a paycheck she's get a waiver. That being said, all our OR nurse slots are gone for FY14, but she should start an FY15 application.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM

4,195 posts, read 6,518,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I am a recruiter for the Air Force. You do NOT need a waiver. You either have a lazy recruiter or a confused recruiter. Asthma BEFORE the age of 13 is NOT a disqualier. You need to get your medical records and have your recruiter submit them to MEPS. MEPS will clear you (baring other issue or there being more to the story). The regulation used for medical entrance says, "Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday, does not meet the standard." (the standard for military entrance). As such, ashtma before age 13 is NOT an issue. There is no regulation anywhere that disqualifies people for ashtma before their 13th birthday... this is a very common misconception- even sometimes amoung recruiters.

I have personally put people in the Air Force who had childhood asthma without having to do any waivers or extra work. I've even gotten waivers for people with asthma after the 13th birthday who had medical records showing no symptoms or treatment for the past few years, and/or could pass a pulmonary function test. Asthma is often over-diagnosed, and MEPS realizes this.

See how the regulation says it has to be "RELIABLY" diagnosed? Becuase too many doctors just diagnose it without any real testing. The regulation goes on to say, "Reliable diagnostic criteria may include any of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea that persists or recurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months."
This isn't good information as there is NO recruiter that can tell you if you need a waiver or not for a medical issue. Only the doctor at MEPS can tell you that. If the applicant doesn't give the right answers, or the medical documents indicate it was more serious than the applicant claimed, the doctor can medically DQ the applicant or send them out for a consult which can trigger a waiver.

I'm sure the dmarie123 has had many applicants that he/she thought were qualified that came out of medical and now need a waiver for a variety of issues that were not expected in the recruiters office.

What is true is that childhood asthma can be worked with but it is up to the doctor at MEPS if he/she clears the applicant or not.

I've had many with childhood asthma over my 14 years of recruiting that I thought would get in that ended up needing a waiver and some of those waivers were disapproved because the medical documents, applicants answers or results of the pulmonary consult were not the same seriousness as what they told me.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
This isn't good information as there is NO recruiter that can tell you if you need a waiver or not for a medical issue. Only the doctor at MEPS can tell you that. If the applicant doesn't give the right answers, or the medical documents indicate it was more serious than the applicant claimed, the doctor can medically DQ the applicant or send them out for a consult which can trigger a waiver.

I'm sure the dmarie123 has had many applicants that he/she thought were qualified that came out of medical and now need a waiver for a variety of issues that were not expected in the recruiters office.

What is true is that childhood asthma can be worked with but it is up to the doctor at MEPS if he/she clears the applicant or not.

I've had many with childhood asthma over my 14 years of recruiting that I thought would get in that ended up needing a waiver and some of those waivers were disapproved because the medical documents, applicants answers or results of the pulmonary consult were not the same seriousness as what they told me.
I don't want to start an argument, but the MEPS regulations LITERALLY STATES that asthma that is before the age of 13, or not reliably diagnosed (defines this as one year of symptoms) is not a disqualification. If MEPS gets overzealous and DQs, I've never seen an instance where SG has held up the DQ. If there are additional things going, then of course there can be a DQ for those additional things- I never implied that they couldn't get DQd for something additional.

You are correct, it is not up to the recruiter. The reason I post the way I post is so that people know they have a shot. SOOOOO many recruiters that I know tell applicants if they have EVER had ANY asthma diagnosis they are disqualified. Those applicants usually give up and don't try, and the recruiter was WRONG (or lazy), and should have tried. I've talked to people who say things like, "I was going to join 5 years ago, but my recruiter told me my asthma would stop me." and I'll get them to trust me enough to turn in medical documents, and they pass MEPS with ZERO difficulty and are now in the Air Force.

MEPS can always DQ at their discretion, but it is a FACT that the regulation does not list asthma before age 13, or asthmatic symptoms less than a year in duration, as a disqualification reason.

It is a fact that many recruiters erroneously DQ applicants for being told one time, at age 8, that they had asthma, when the applicant has never had a Pulmonary Function Test or even used an inhaler. Recruiters act like "Asthma" is a kiss of death, and that leads to many people giving up and not even trying. It is NOT a kiss of death.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,238,487 times
This thread is interesting. I will say this. Back in the early 80s I missed getting gassed at basic and at my perm duty station doing chem warfare training. I forgot why at basic but the other time the lock was frozen. As for the person with the retirement waiver can he do 19 and the do 1 year outside the AD? I know no one can project 19 years down the line but rules do change. Everyone no matter how many years they did in military should make an appointment with a VA social worker if one is near by. There are many benefits and programs for people under 20 years.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 88,806 times
Good day!

I am very much interested in joining the Air Force. Currently, I have 2 Semester of Pre-nursing, and just completed a Certificate in Healthcare Billing and Coding. I have a Bachelors degree that I've taken outside the USA but was evaluated to have an equivalent of BS in Economics here in USA.

I would like to join the air force and be a pharmacist. Is it possible that I can apply for a scholarship under the Pharmacy profession? And what is the age requirement for this because at present I am 41 years old and I'm already eyeing a particular school for pharmacy degree. Is an online school for pharmacy accredited under the Air Force?

Thank you very much.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:35 AM

4,459 posts, read 7,568,265 times
Also you can get the PFT test AKA Pulmonary Fitness Test. If you pass this, then you can show it to your recruiter, and then they will let you in.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyrhd View Post
Good day!

I am very much interested in joining the Air Force. Currently, I have 2 Semester of Pre-nursing, and just completed a Certificate in Healthcare Billing and Coding. I have a Bachelors degree that I've taken outside the USA but was evaluated to have an equivalent of BS in Economics here in USA.

I would like to join the air force and be a pharmacist. Is it possible that I can apply for a scholarship under the Pharmacy profession? And what is the age requirement for this because at present I am 41 years old and I'm already eyeing a particular school for pharmacy degree. Is an online school for pharmacy accredited under the Air Force?

Thank you very much.

We do have scholarships for pharmacy school, but you must be 39 or younger at the time of graduation. Sorry.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 9,812 times
Dmarie123 I'm also very interested in joining the Air Force. I recently talked to a recruiter but told me I wasn't qualified because of my age. I'm 27 now and will be turning 28 on march of 2014 is there anything I can do to qualify like a waiver? I would really appreciate your advice Thankyou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues