U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,745,800 times

Advertisements

I don't have much "point" in posting, just wanting to virtually kick my own ass I guess. I was in school when I was 19, back in 1990 (!) then I got pregnant, and didn't return to school until 2008 (!).

My father was a career Air Force member, Vietnam Vet, Disabled Vet, Purple Heart recipient, spent 32 years in the service. He never used any sort of education benefits for himself. No one told me I could have benefited as a dependent!?

The primary reason I didn't go back to school for all that time was financial, I was a single mom and just figured there were too many costs involved.. I had no idea I could have had help that would have helped me avoided student loans.

Just feeling very "Arrrrrrgh!!" at the moment because I am now 41 and trying to work out funds to finish my last year of my 1st Bachelor's and I just wish I had known that these other options existed and were limited to being under age 26. I honestly thought that everything stopped when I turned 21 and "everything" just being the ability to go to the commissary and receive medical care.

I guess my father didn't know either so he never said anything.. because when I was first in school he was helping with my rent (but after I got pregnant he stopped).
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM

36,945 posts, read 19,637,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I don't have much "point" in posting, just wanting to virtually kick my own ass I guess. I was in school when I was 19, back in 1990 (!) then I got pregnant, and didn't return to school until 2008 (!).

My father was a career Air Force member, Vietnam Vet, Disabled Vet, Purple Heart recipient, spent 32 years in the service. He never used any sort of education benefits for himself. No one told me I could have benefited as a dependent!?

The primary reason I didn't go back to school for all that time was financial, I was a single mom and just figured there were too many costs involved.. I had no idea I could have had help that would have helped me avoided student loans.

Just feeling very "Arrrrrrgh!!" at the moment because I am now 41 and trying to work out funds to finish my last year of my 1st Bachelor's and I just wish I had known that these other options existed and were limited to being under age 26. I honestly thought that everything stopped when I turned 21 and "everything" just being the ability to go to the commissary and receive medical care.

I guess my father didn't know either so he never said anything.. because when I was first in school he was helping with my rent (but after I got pregnant he stopped).
I did not think you could get them? That is not until 1 August 2009? The reason I know the date is because my retirement date was 31 July 2009, I missed being able to give my son my GI Bill....

Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,745,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I did not think you could get them? That is not until 1 August 2009? The reason I know the date is because my retirement date was 31 July 2009, I missed being able to give my son my GI Bill....
Well you know, if that is true, then I feel a bit better since I wouldn't have missed out on anything! I don't know, I think it's all kind of confusing, I've been looking at info online for the past few days to see if there are any scholarships or anything for dependents of veterans that aren't age limited and it's all sort of overwhelming anyway. I didn't even start thinking about it until a friend of my son's (she's 21) mentioned how her father's service was helping her afford housing when she starts school in the Fall.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,945,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Since you served post 9/11 I believe you're grandfathered, Anybody ho retires, gets out after 1 Aug 2009 had to commit to additional time to take advantage. I'd do more research on that if I were you.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,945,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Well you know, if that is true, then I feel a bit better since I wouldn't have missed out on anything! I don't know, I think it's all kind of confusing, I've been looking at info online for the past few days to see if there are any scholarships or anything for dependents of veterans that aren't age limited and it's all sort of overwhelming anyway. I didn't even start thinking about it until a friend of my son's (she's 21) mentioned how her father's service was helping her afford housing when she starts school in the Fall.

Not to burst your bubble but I know there is some college money available for kids of disabled vets, Someone I put in the Marine Corps was going to community college off of money received from his father's service, which was pre 9/11

Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM

30 posts, read 144,418 times
I think you're referring to Chapter 35 benefits; however, was your father rated as 100% disabled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues