Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 PM

50 posts, read 163,392 times

Advertisements

For ARMY vets who were pursuing education while in active duty . . .

On a realistic and hard-working point of view (juggling free time / military work / personal life) -

Did you attend a 4-year college (university) while you were in active duty and get the good gpa and maintain everything up above? As I am thinking about enlisting, I do want to pursue my education, but I am thinking is it better to finish my active duty and just wait for the GI BILL and do it when I finish my enlistment.

Any advice? ** I know hard work pays off etc quotes . . . but what I really like to know is, what is the better option in terms of the "optimal" choice - while active duty or wait till get out.

looking for experience vets advices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,530,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post

On a realistic and hard-working point of view (juggling free time / military work / personal life) -

Did you attend a 4-year college (university) while you were in active duty and get the good gpa and maintain everything up above? As I am thinking about enlisting, I do want to pursue my education, but I am thinking is it better to finish my active duty and just wait for the GI BILL and do it when I finish my enlistment.

Any advice? ** I know hard work pays off etc quotes . . . but what I really like to know is, what is the better option in terms of the "optimal" choice - while active duty or wait till get out.

I pretty much did all my four year degree, EE degree in 12 years. From various colleges.

There were times I just did not have time due to TDY (Temporary Duty).

My GPA was good enough to graduate from The University of Maryland. Could not attend the graduation because I was TDY...

I had a family.

Classes I wanted/needed were not near by.

Took classes in Germany, taught by Americans.

I do not consider the option of "wait till get out" to be a good choice.

You going to make it a career? Doesn't matter what you say, guess what, get in a good career field, you might change your mind. I was drafted, do you know what that really means? Short story, I changed my mind several times, stayed 22 years continuous active duty.

I would do it again with very minor changes...

Good luck to your.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 AM

5,036 posts, read 6,311,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post

I did wait until I got out with the (Montgomery) GI Bill. I would have liked to have started at least some school, but I was in a combat arms MOS and in the field very, very often those 4 years. Literally 6-8 months of field time per year, and classes were simply not available that fit into our training schedule.

If I had reenlisted, I am pretty certain I would have ended up eventually in a place I could have begun or continued my education.

However, going full time with GI Bill is not a bad deal. You're older than the average freshman (but don't try to bludgeon them with that-you aren't the fount of all wisdom at 22), probably have some personal discipline, and the money is very nice; the new GI Bill is really a well-thought-out program with the tuition to the school and the living stipend. Plus, 4 years, and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues