Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 AM

26 posts, read 117,349 times

Advertisements

I'm 17, I'll be graduating high school in May. The military has been on my mind ever since eighth grade. I keep asking myself, "Is this really for me?" I was in NJROTC, I loved wearing my uniform with pride. My brother and sister was in the Navy. They told me not to join and that it was a waste of time. I really can't decide between Navy or Air Force. Of course, both branches has their pros and cons.
I really want to work on aircraft machinery so I'm leaning more towards the AF. But, the Navy also have aircraft as well, I guess it can go both ways. I also been wanting to join the military as an officer. I was thinking about going to college while I'm in the military and get my degree. Then try to re-enlist as an officer. I'm going to talk to both, Navy and Air Force recruiters. Then try to make my decision from there. What has the military done for you? Was it worth it? Did you regret joining/not joining?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,500,813 times
Why don't you talk to all the Recruiters?

The Army has Helicopters.

Also, why did you not consider the Marine's and Coast Guard?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 PM

24,165 posts, read 13,012,472 times
I would consider all branches (which is what I did, applied to all but the AF gave me the best opportunity to be a pilot, which is what happened).

Going to college while in the military, while not impossible, is difficult as the mission, and its attendant strange hours, moves, delpoyments, and the like can get in the way of studies, not to mention more-or-less full-time school. One way to become an officer for a number of people I have known is to enlist, then go to college, then become an officer. Only drawback is there's a clock ticking for that plan, namely the age limits. As the previous post states, talk to recruiters. If the grades are good, maybe consider a service academy?

The OP's siblings said it was a waste of time... maybe it was to them, you'll never know without exeriencing it first-hand. Yeah, it's a waste of tme, if what one considers a waste of time is the camraderie and teamwork, the valuable job and life skills, travel, educational benefits, lifelong friends (and I don't mean the virtual Facebook kind), and enough experiences to write a novel... yeah, sign me up again!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM

582 posts, read 1,113,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear683 View Post
I'm 17, I'll be graduating high school in May. The military has been on my mind ever since eighth grade. I keep asking myself, "Is this really for me?" I was in NJROTC, I loved wearing my uniform with pride. My brother and sister was in the Navy. They told me not to join and that it was a waste of time. I really can't decide between Navy or Air Force. Of course, both branches has their pros and cons.
I really want to work on aircraft machinery so I'm leaning more towards the AF. But, the Navy also have aircraft as well, I guess it can go both ways. I also been wanting to join the military as an officer. I was thinking about going to college while I'm in the military and get my degree. Then try to re-enlist as an officer. I'm going to talk to both, Navy and Air Force recruiters. Then try to make my decision from there. What has the military done for you? Was it worth it? Did you regret joining/not joining?

Thank you!
1. What has the military done for you?
It made me the person I am today: independent, self-motivated, able to actually read and understand a map (I never, ever use GPS when I travel), confident, physically active, and most definitely not afraid to step outside my comfort zone, just to name a few.

2. Was it worth it?
I was able to fully retire (I do not work, not even part-time) at age 39, so… hell yeah it was totally worth it . Every day is a Saturday (sleep ‘til noon, eat, watch TV, take a nap, play on the Internet, etc.). I do not own an alarm clock and I stopped wearing a watch almost 8 years ago after I retired; my cell phone replaced both.

3. Did you regret joining/not joining?
Absolutely not. Joining the military at age 17 was the smartest decision I’ve ever made in my entire life. If I had to do it all over again I would do it in a heartbeat .

Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM

26 posts, read 117,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Also, why did you not consider the Marine's and Coast Guard?
The Marine's really isn't my kind of life style. Yes, they've been to hell and back. Always the first one to respond when a war starts. Which has my up most respect for them. I believe the Coast Guard broke off from the military branches after 9/11. Now, they're part of the Homeland Security, instead of Department Of Defense. I never really liked the Coast Guard for some reason. They do have military duties as well.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,592,288 times
I don't think refusing to use a GPS because you can read a map is a great argument for joining the military. Soldiers use GPS devices constantly. Why not take advantage of technology? I know how to write a letter and go to the post office, so does that mean I should refuse to email?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM

6,499 posts, read 6,968,512 times
Default Was it worth it?

Hell yeah. It is a difficult career but very rewarding. Lots of bumps but lots of great times. There is danger and there is long periods of boredom. Any branch is fine. Choose your branch. Make it a career. Do your job and you will get recognized. Chicks dig a guy in uniform!

Okay last statement is for the young guys. I have been in for 34 plus years heading towards 39. 10 of those years are active duty. One deployment to Iraq and several tours overseas. The rest army national guard. Many state deployments due to floods or snow storms. One stretch for a tornado that ripped through the state. Never will get rich in dough but you will feel good when you get recognized for a job well done. Take care of your soldiers when you are in charge. Help your superiors take care of your team. Learn to write and communicate well and you will go far.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,500,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear683 View Post
The Marine's really isn't my kind of life style. Yes, they've been to hell and back. Always the first one to respond when a war starts. Which has my up most respect for them. I believe the Coast Guard broke off from the military branches after 9/11. Now, they're part of the Homeland Security, instead of Department Of Defense. I never really liked the Coast Guard for some reason. They do have military duties as well.

The United States Coast Guard is a military, multi-mission, maritime service within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). It's one of the nation's five armed services. The Coast Guard's legal authority differs from the other four armed services in that it operates simultaneously under Title 10 of the United States Code. Because of its legal authority, the Coast Guard can conduct military operations under the Department of Defense or directly for the President in accordance with Title 14 USC 1–3. Before DHS was created the Coast Guard was under the authority of the Department of Transportation, but the Coast Guard works under the Navy after a declaration of war or a Presidential order...

I didn't say go join, I said "Why don't you talk to all the Recruiters?". You can learn a lot by talking face to face to them.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 PM

169 posts, read 436,421 times
My husband was in marines and now national guard. Him and his friends seem to agree that Air Force is the best way to go!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,592,288 times
I think the Coast Guard sounds pretty cool. Do they get the GI Bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues