Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 PM

98 posts, read 685,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I just ETS'd from the Army myself, and needless to say after two deployments to Afghanistan I think I'm going with the Air National Guard to serve out the rest of my IRR obligation. Also I figure if we get into a shooting war with say the Norks I might as well go with the Zoomies.
I'll confirm my doubts tomorrow with ANG. I believe the complete squadron needs to be activated in order to get deployed again and the maximum amount is for 6 months tops and that deployment is optional with ANG. National Guard being different, will definitely confirm this tomorrow, but again a recruiter OFTEN wants to list you and that's it as that's the job, hopefully I am getting a good one.

Page 2, section #10, letter C and D of the enlisting army/af/NG/ form; http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/i...rms/dd0004.pdf

By seeing those points, can you actually get activated after your term has really expired? I know this SHOULD NOT be a question for a % of the military recruiters, but for those of you here experienced..is that form up to date because if it's I am guessing by logic that even if your service has been expired you might get activated 12-15 years later and get forced to serve if you're healthy by such contract statements mentioned in that point 'C' and 'D'.

People are really made for this and for those who are unfit by asking to many questions like me, are unlikely to be worth the entry. I understand that as a business dude and also understand the all around perception here. But if the Air National Guard or Coast Guard for example need to join the Army in ground battle for example, that'll really be out of whack seeing it objectively. Just can't see it happen, but that's what point C and D say for the enlistment form. If we need you 10 years from now, once you're in, we own you! I just can't trust the recruiters answers on this.

I'm sure OTHERS will benefit greatly from the new answers also, so when the BBQ is over and you this post, remember about the 'loco' Puerto Rican that wants to join the military earning good money please. Seriously! Hoping to get most if not all the answers by tomorrow on how this may work out for me.

Thanks for all of you the had remained calm and haven't nuked me yet, being careful here, just trying to see my opportunity to finally calm my damn itch since my early juvenile years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Running. For a 31 year old male, the minimum for the "US Army Fitness Standard" 2 mile run is 17:00 minutes. Never heard anyone say "mph" on a PT test in my 22+ years. But for your information, that is about 7.05 mph... To impress some people, make your Commander and First Sergeant smile, you might want to max it out, do the 2 mile run faster than 13:18... 9 mph.

Before that, you normally do the pushups, you need 77 to max out, and 82 situps to max them out.

Here is a good reference site: 2012 Army Fitness Standards
Que pasa Poncho

That's great news as early morning I did that 1 mile at 7:58 running at 5.5mph to 9mph on my treadmill with this song:
Adele - Hometown Glory (High Contrast Remix) - YouTube . Oh yeahh! Tell me I've bad taste Eso es coño..good detail! Will try push ups tomorrow after "Insanity" to really see how good I am after being tired. . So yeah mano! Thanks for this one, haven't looked at this yet, but letting go by that it's a good sign.

Thanks for the reference site 'mi pana'.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Funny you say that because I have civilians telling me how realistic Call of Duty is.

To the OP,

I spent my last deployment as a ground pounder in a light Infantry Brigade. IEDs, bullets and rockets have no eyes and they can't go backwards after they're gone.

It's amazing how many people think there's so much glory in the military. What's so glorious about:

-not seeing your family for months and having them worried that you'll be maimed or killed
-walking miles on end everyday to hunt for armed men
-seeing your friends got shot/blown up
-going to a memorial service for a 20 year old kid who was killed with a rocket
-trying to build a country that is stuck in the stone ages
-playing politician in a war zone
-trying to deal with the Afghan Army that has the mental aptitude of a 2nd grader
-being worried that something can happen to your Soldiers when they go out without you

Yep, sure is glorious.

And all you can think about are the benefits.
Appreciate those bullets of reality.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I thought I was the only one who read it like that.

Seems like a decent amount of people wanting to join these days, in the current economy and all, but don't want to put it all on the line out there. Everyone wants to join, like the guy in another thread who just wanted to know about VA loans, but no one wants to fight.

Anyway, to the OP, your running is just plain atrocious. Not much is worse than a fat Officer who can't run. That's the quickest way to never earn the respect of your superiors, peers or subordinates.

And if your physical peak was in your early 20's, then you've got some issues there.

How about you just wait until Afghanistan is over and there is no threat of war anywhere so you definitely won't have to go fight?
Yes, totally, economy sucks but that's all in the attitude of people and wanting to better themselves. A lot of people here want either the easy way out or plainly don't want to work, we're definitely synchronized here. I don't know how you confirmed anywhere how can my running me atrocious, but yes, I was in my peak in my 20's as ah ahmm..funny in paper. I did modeling both in USA and even went to Germany for photos and competition. Wayyyyyy different now as metabolism has slowed and I've never have had after mid-20's to push my running levels to peaks or extremes. I've continued to run, but light type of running, you know 30-45 minutes relaxed 3-4 mile runs. I did a mile at 7:58 which by now in the running part I might be ok according to the army.

Will keep researching the MOS and seeing my options tomorrow. Thx amigo

Old 04-14-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
First off here Joaco quit putting the cart before the horse. You need to understand when you sign up you are not going to make a ton of money. If you make it past basic training and beyond you will lose money on the weekends if you own your own business. There is no doubt in my mind. If you get deployed to the sand box you will lose money. Your business will fail. This is not a game joining the army. It is a commitment. If you are joining just to get free healthcare you won't get that on reserve training. Your reserve pay will pay your premiums but that means you will be working for your healthcare alone.

No one here joins the military to make a ton of money. We do play Call Of Duty or World Of Warcraft but none of that prepares a person for actual combat. I'm not a combat arms soldier and I was scared over there. I had my head on a swivel worrying about the IED or VBIED. Worrying about driving through choke points on convoys. Yeah today they have uparmored vehicles where I didn't but those VBIDs are shape charged or are huge bombs. Nothing will ever prepare you for the possibility of wiping some red stuff off your helmet and realize it is your buddy's blood or worse.

As for Army you hit the nail on the head. At 31 I was just getting back in. I went from 190lbs to 155lbs because I got out of active duty. Stayed out for a while and joined back in. My first APFT coming in was a 280 with a 15 minute run. Trust me making that run made me feel like I was back. I can remember my active duty time in Korea going out to the clubs every night. Getting up at 5am for a run with either the company or with the BN and tossing cookies and getting right back in. God those were fun times .

Running for fun was in my life. I can't quite do that any more. Knees are shot but good golly it felt good to get fresh air in the lungs.
Tomorrow I'll be with ANG recruiter. That's the kind of advice that gets your head kicking it well and deep. Good thing 80% of my online business can be outsourced to the usual $2.50/per hour USD Manila, PH dudes that will even kiss anyone of us for $1.80-$2.00/per hour USD. Just giving you ideas of my ends here and for you to consider when retiring also

Even so being active into REAL battle for 1-2 years might get me into quite a bit of trouble if I can't reach a phone or at least have an internet connection for 1-2 hours a day max. Army seem to be the aphrodisiac with all the great jobs and opened MOS opportunities, I get so easily bored and unchallenged once I accomplish good to great things, oh well, to each one of us a craziness.

Hoping you get a ____ great retirement time men... I am damn sure you really earned it! Need to keep finding about the MOS and everything, tomorrow Monday will be a big recruiter day..lets see my starting realities.

Hit me up via PM for phone # when you're in Puerto Rico if you ever get lost vacationing here or don't know how to get somewhere here. I'm likely to be here. Surely lot of mamasitas doing the salsa baladitas at the Mariott. Oh yeah..regards amigo.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 AM

219 posts, read 430,911 times
Bottom line, if you are not prepared to deploy tomorrow, don't sign up. Also, not sure where you got the free permanent healthcare idea from because outside of active duty, it doesn't exists. Talk to the recruiter but keep in mind things change. Right after I separated, several others tried to separate and were not allowed, even though their time was up. There are no hard rules about only deploying if such and such occurs and only for a set period of time. Even if there were, a quick flick of a pen can override them.

You seem to be going in for the wrong reasons, with the wrong assumptions, and don't appear to be the military type. That said, many of us were in the same boat going in. You will either adapt and overcome, as I did, or be miserable.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:18 AM

219 posts, read 430,911 times
.....and one other thing. Kudos to you for even considering it and taking the time to talk to the recruiter. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 AM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
I'll confirm my doubts tomorrow with ANG. I believe the complete squadron needs to be activated in order to get deployed again and the maximum amount is for 6 months tops and that deployment is optional with ANG. National Guard being different, will definitely confirm this tomorrow, but again a recruiter OFTEN wants to list you and that's it as that's the job, hopefully I am getting a good one...
In 1990 some members of ANG units thought just that. They were quite surprised as their AFSC was about to be mobilized for Desert Shield. A number of them up and quit... "What, I have to go to WAR? I just wanted a paycheck."

I commanded an ANG unit during OSW leading up to OIF and then during OIF. 179-day activation, after 2001, was good for some of my folks. They had lost their job at the airlines and other businesses and found income and insurance. Some AFSCs (MOS for Army types) were specifically activated, especially after 2001 in support of Noble Eagle.

Deployment optional? Not really, unless you're in a support AFSC. I had an NCO who worked for me (see other threads about this) who was a single mom, "Nope, can't deploy, got a kid". That didn't go over well with the wing commander, et al. She got orders anyway and then did some things not discussable here, and had her enlistment terminated. When I was an instructor at an F-16 base we were still deployable for back-fill, but certain positions were always on order, such as civil engineering, security, and intel. In fact, during Allied Force we lost our whole intel shop but one NCO to support the effort.

The bottom line: if you join the military in ANY capacity, expect to serve. To paraphrase the old Navy recruiting slogan, it's not just a job, it's a duty. If anyone's not up to the idea they may have to spent Christmas in Kandahar, they need not apply.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Funny you say that because I have civilians telling me how realistic Call of Duty is.

To the OP,

I spent my last deployment as a ground pounder in a light Infantry Brigade. IEDs, bullets and rockets have no eyes and they can't go backwards after they're gone.

It's amazing how many people think there's so much glory in the military. What's so glorious about:

-not seeing your family for months and having them worried that you'll be maimed or killed
-walking miles on end everyday to hunt for armed men
-seeing your friends got shot/blown up
-going to a memorial service for a 20 year old kid who was killed with a rocket
-trying to build a country that is stuck in the stone ages
-playing politician in a war zone
-trying to deal with the Afghan Army that has the mental aptitude of a 2nd grader
-being worried that something can happen to your Soldiers when they go out without you

Yep, sure is glorious.

And all you can think about are the benefits.
Yup so FN glorious. I am so glad I only had to deal with being away from home. We lost one soldier to a car accident stateside prior to movement overseas. I lost two friends to sand flees (leachimiancin - spelling wrong I know) and one to an idiot behind the wheel of a fork truck. He was a dear friend and was on his way home (unit too) the next day!!!!!!!

And we think Call of Duty is soooooo realistic! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dont get me started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
No hard feelings, respect your opinion amigo. I usually don't edit without getting paid, but yeah, the reality. Your points are argumentative and with a great % of folks joining for the money and the benefits hook and not having their minds set that there's a slight chance a friend or you might get blasted in blood, I think I know the reasons for your response. What surprises me is the suggestion for careerbuilder.com when I mentioned I already earn a decent self-employed salary each year. $26k online and Real Estate last year and $28k aprox., which tomorrow I know final reality with CPA.

Priorities out of whack, seeing that objectively as always. I can see why it may seem or could very likely be like that if a good % of people that have served already won't do it again or have been deployed might NEVER join if it wasn't for money or forced by contract. I can't confirm it, but I see your points here of why it might sound iffy or totally whack in my position. Possible reasons why would he want to join? Why in the world would someone earning good amount of money each year want to join the military after all my years of experience? Yeah, don't judge a book by its cover right, but since we do, just a huge possibility his just either this OP dude is way 'loco' or his going to get someone killed if he joins..his just more interested in the benefits the doing the real thing. I'll see it this way too, yes, which might get me delayed in the entry.

Those are reasons why I am fishing and hunting for my best option. The military recruiters and even in their commercials (Army ones by the way) make you conclude there's always room for someone with their coolest jobs/mos. Reality, if I join I won't give a hoot about getting blasted if the time comes, is either them or me...but hey thanks for the suggestions and heads up. I understand. Just surprised you din't recommend me the Coast Guard, The Navy(which literally don't have much risk comparable to Army) or recommended me Airforce reserves or something similar. Careerbuilder.com is for those that need work. But hey..I get it, I must be loco to join now earning what I am earning, right? Get a new girlfriend or go to a damn bar and keep improving locally. Get it I guess. Respect your opinion mate, I understand. Thanks.
Honestly though this is not a career move to make great leaps in income. As an officer you are commisioned for life. You can after so many years get out but there comes a point that they can call you back in no matter how old you are. I deployed at age 45 for Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003. My mom's first words to me when I told her I was going was "Aren't you too old to have to go?". To which I had to reply that I was deploying with soldiers that were older than me. In fact that one of them was going to turn 60 out there if we stayed for a year (which by the way we did).

Just understand they have a thing called stop loss. It caught many a soldier thinking that they would just ETS and get sent home. Not hardly I will tell you. That stop loss lasts I believe 3 to 6 months after returning stateside. Also within your first 8 years enlisting they can call you up anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
Bottom line, if you are not prepared to deploy tomorrow, don't sign up. Also, not sure where you got the free permanent healthcare idea from because outside of active duty, it doesn't exists. Talk to the recruiter but keep in mind things change. Right after I separated, several others tried to separate and were not allowed, even though their time was up. There are no hard rules about only deploying if such and such occurs and only for a set period of time. Even if there were, a quick flick of a pen can override them.

You seem to be going in for the wrong reasons, with the wrong assumptions, and don't appear to be the military type. That said, many of us were in the same boat going in. You will either adapt and overcome, as I did, or be miserable.
Good point if you are not ready then this is not the job for you. Educational benifits do come with a price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
In 1990 some members of ANG units thought just that. They were quite surprised as their AFSC was about to be mobilized for Desert Shield. A number of them up and quit... "What, I have to go to WAR? I just wanted a paycheck."

I commanded an ANG unit during OSW leading up to OIF and then during OIF. 179-day activation, after 2001, was good for some of my folks. They had lost their job at the airlines and other businesses and found income and insurance. Some AFSCs (MOS for Army types) were specifically activated, especially after 2001 in support of Noble Eagle.

Deployment optional? Not really, unless you're in a support AFSC. I had an NCO who worked for me (see other threads about this) who was a single mom, "Nope, can't deploy, got a kid". That didn't go over well with the wing commander, et al. She got orders anyway and then did some things not discussable here, and had her enlistment terminated. When I was an instructor at an F-16 base we were still deployable for back-fill, but certain positions were always on order, such as civil engineering, security, and intel. In fact, during Allied Force we lost our whole intel shop but one NCO to support the effort.

The bottom line: if you join the military in ANY capacity, expect to serve. To paraphrase the old Navy recruiting slogan, it's not just a job, it's a duty. If anyone's not up to the idea they may have to spent Christmas in Kandahar, they need not apply.
2003 was the first time I ever missed my anniversary after 23 years and I was lucky. Oh I missed other important things but I had not missed that. I also never spent a Christmas day away from home until that year. Anyone thinking this the life of ease should think again.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:31 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
I also forgot to add: when the kid was killed, the CSM was there with him. We heard this all happen on the radio and felt like the most helpless people in the world. CSM comes on and I paraphrase him, "Look, I know we have to send a 9 line but he's bad (his voice is trembling) so this is where we are grid xxxx xxxx. We'll get you the 9 line as soon as possible..."

And seeing the look on your Soldiers' face, the ones who were friends with the kid, after the 1SG got word that the kid didn't make it...

Or walking into the TOC and seeing a PL who was close to the kid just stare at the ceiling and say, "man, I'm hurtin' right now..." The PL later went to his grave and visited his parents after deployment.

Yup, it's all glory, everyone is Audie Murphy and Dick Winters out there.

When that IED goes off by you and the first time you hear a bullet crack by you, you're gonna wish you were back home.

Just stay at home and let those who are willing to fight go to the fighting.

You're just a recipe for disaster that's going to get Soldiers killed.

War is a very deadly game and the consequences are death. You'd better do some honest soul searching to find out if you can do this or not. And don't let your ego and false bravado get in the way of rational decision making.

Every time I hear a kid talk about how he doesn't mind deploying to a place like Korea, I have a few choice words for him.

It's perfectly okay to admit you're not cut out for it, most are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues