U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 AM

736 posts, read 570,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
Tell him C-O-L-L-E-G-E

...Totally

paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 02:21 AM

736 posts, read 570,684 times
Default "...Dang Me!..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
HeadhunterPaul,

You are correct. There is a difference between the State Militia and the National Guard.

Now you've given me a reason to learn something new. Dang you. :-)...
[..."Trailers for sale or rent..."]

Hey, Ron!

Sounds like your SM is better organized than ours [California].

I had looked into the SM a few times but it seemed to be being run as someone's hobby.

Since the commander was a Green Beret, it sounded logical. And now that I think about it again, seeing your post, I'd have to say I must have been calling the 'unorganized' branch of the SM.

Anyway, thanks...

Paul

P.S. Yes, now that you mention it, maybe I ought to check into the SM in MO, where I'm headed next. Dang me!

Old 09-28-2013, 03:38 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,109,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Was he disqualified at MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) or was he disqualified before he went to MEPS (in the recruiter's office)?
He was disqualified BEFORE MEPS. IOW, at the recruiters office.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
If he can't get into the Navy, check out the Military Sealift Command. They do all the logistics for the Navy, have a variety of jobs, and pay 3 times what the Navy pays, treated much better and you get a lot of overtime.

Thanks for that tip. He did give up on the Navy but that's a good alternative.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:19 PM

2,873 posts, read 8,296,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
A friend of mine was turned down by the Navy because he suffered an asthma attack at the age of 14. He volunteered the information that he had childhood asthma. He did well on the ASVAB test however.

I am told that he made a mistake admitting this asthma problem, because his medical records wouldn't have been checked if he had stayed quiet about asthma. Is this true? His recruiter told him to try another branch. Anybody have any suggestions about what he should tell them or not tell them about asthma? Should he just stay quiet about having tried to enlist already? What about the fact that his ASVAB score is on file.

Thanks.
It is true, we do not check medical records upon entrance. There isn't even a central records database. We wouldn't even have a clue where to get your records. We'd have to call every individual doctor in the state, and perhaps beyond, trying to find them. However, if he suddenly had an asthma attack in basic, it could be looked into. But, we don't just collect records on every person.

Going to another branch will not help if the info was turned into MEPS. MEPS keeps files for years, and transfers files from state to state based on a person's SSN. There is NO way to circumvent this. If he was DQ's by the recruiter, the recruiter had NO RIGHT to DQ him. He has to be given the chance to turn medical records into MEPS. Many recruiters are lazy and don't want to. I've seen people (I am a recruiter) get cleared with asthma at 14, if, for example, they haven't used an inhaler since, the diagnosis was questionable (it's really overdiagnosed, our regulations say someone has to have symptoms for ONE YEAR, not one episode, for it to be considered a reliable diagnosis). I could get a PFT to show he does not have asthma.

ASVAB has not one iota to do with medical clearance. The Dr. at MEPS doesn't give a flying hoot about someone's ASVAB score.

The doctor at MEPS for the Army is the same as the doctor for the Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard. One MEPS, One Doctor (or team of doctors) serves ALL branches.

Now, Surgeon General waivers are individual. If he was DQ'd at MEPS, and tried an SG waiver with one branch that denied it, then another branch might approve it. But, that only applies if the recruiter sent the records, the MEPS DQ'd, the recruiter/MEPS sent the record to the branch SG. Did all of that actually happen?

Old 09-29-2013, 01:27 AM

8,670 posts, read 5,903,479 times
I say lie.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 AM

7,527 posts, read 13,224,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I say lie.
The moment you are caught lying, you are coded "Fraudulent vs erroneous enlistment"...good luck trying to get a real job after that kind of discharge.

The reason Asthma is not accepted is because of the RISK of life to the military member suffering from it.

We had a 30 something ER doc who did not even KNOW he had asthma almost die during a sandstorm in Iraq....if he had not been feet from the ER at the time he had the attack, he probably would not be alive today.

Disqualifying medical conditions are not rendered as a "punishment" but for the safety of those that suffer and others should they fall ill with a medical need during time of war.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
It is true, we do not check medical records upon entrance. Now, Surgeon General waivers are individual. If he was DQ'd at MEPS, and tried an SG waiver with one branch that denied it, then another branch might approve it. But, that only applies if the recruiter sent the records, the MEPS DQ'd, the recruiter/MEPS sent the record to the branch SG. Did all of that actually happen?
I do not believe he was DQ'd at MEPS; he never got to MEPS. He was only in the recruitment process. Took the ASVAB, told the recruiter about his asthma history, they pulled his medical records from the doctors office. But, the recruiter sent his records somewhere... can this info be found out and verified?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 PM

2,873 posts, read 8,296,474 times
Unfortunately, no, not without a Congressional inquiry. The recruiters aren't going to hand over any internal records. If he did send the info to MEPS (the only place he could have sent it) and MEPS did the DQ, then lying is not possible. It will be in his file, tied to his SSN. However, MEPS normally can be overridden by the Surgeon General, if the recruiter pursues a waiver. COULD BE, not will be. AR- 40-501, the regulation that MEPS uses, says ANY ASTHMA that is RELIABLY diagnosed, AFTER that age of 13 is a disqualification. However, I've seen the SG approve waivers for asthma into the twenties, but I've also seen them deny waivers. It depends on frequency and severity of attacks, mode of diagnosis, current PFT results, etc. You could have him ask his recruiter about an SG waiver, or about turning in new documents that show is no longer has issues and has a normal Pulmonary Function Test.

He could have lied, but the window for that possibility is closed. Not advocating lying, just saying that people do it, and get away with it, but it's beyond that now. Honestly, I'm surprised his recruiter didn't tell him to lie, as many recruiters do offer that (illegal) advice.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
He could have lied, but the window for that possibility is closed. Not advocating lying, just saying that people do it, and get away with it, but it's beyond that now. Honestly, I'm surprised his recruiter didn't tell him to lie, as many recruiters do offer that (illegal) advice.
I advised him to tell the recruiter about it up front, which he did. And others told him that was a mistake and he shouldn't have. But, I advised him that having an asthma attack in basic would be bad; especially if he was in the swimming pool or doing PT.

It really doesn't matter now. He just landed a job in Shreveport making 18 bucks an hour. He'll survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues