U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,883,718 times

Advertisements

Yes, that is the risk with lying. That and getting caught. To clarify, I'm NOT advocating lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 16,359 times
@dmarie123 is it possible to get a waiver to the air force if I had a juvenile record. I was arrested once when I was
16 and I have not been in any trouble since. The charge was for aggravated battery and it was dismissed
All I had to do was community service. I was not fighting, I was stopping a fight and one of the fighters had a
Weapon. Is it a good channce that I can get a waiver or should I give up?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 PM

It is theoretically possible, but entirely unlikely. Since there was a consequence (community service) the Air Force treats it as if you were guilty. It wasn't dismissed because you were not guilty, it was dismissed because you made a deal. It's the same as guilt to the Air Force. We consider it to be "Adverse adjudication."

I have seen ONE waiver approved for battery, in my experience. It was a waiver I did myself for an applicant. The applicant had gotten the charges dismissed without any consquences. The applicant provided police reports in which the police officers specifically stated that they believed he was trying to stop a fight, but were arresting as it wasn't their place to determine guilt. One of the officers even wrote a statement that he didn't think the kid had done anything wrong. Furthermore, the kid's mother had a statement, in writing, from the prosecutor, that charges should have never been filed. There was EVIDENCE that the charges were wrongful, and that they were dismissed with no prejudice. If YOU say you were stopping a fight, and the police report says otherwise, the court documents say otherwise, the Air Force will not believe YOU over those reports. The best thing to do is get all the records, police, arresting, and court, and see how it reads. Imagine you are 3rd party government official charged with only putting the best citizens in the Military. Looking at ALL the reports, and reading a letter (you get to write a letter) from a person writing the letter out of self-interest, and think... what would you do? Get the reports, all the records, and talk to a recruiter.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 16,359 times
Ok thank you for that information, I went and got the final disposition and apparently there were no charges filed against at all. It says No Petition Filed and so that should work in my favor....hopefully.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 227 times
Hi, my situation is very peticular. I just recently enlisted and got pushed through MEPS but got denied from the Naval Office for attending therapy for 6 sessions through high school. They labeled me as depressive. Is there any way to get a waiver for that or can a member of congress help?

Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 PM

318 posts, read 103,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militarypersonnel33 View Post
Hi, my situation is very peticular. I just recently enlisted and got pushed through MEPS but got denied from the Naval Office for attending therapy for 6 sessions through high school. They labeled me as depressive. Is there any way to get a waiver for that or can a member of congress help?
Did you ask your recruiter what your next course of action would be, in regards to appealing that decision and pursuing a waiver?

I don't know if you can or not but I wouldn't be surprised at all if you can get a waiver. It may involve getting more medical records, a written explanation, another professional evaluation or who knows what.

Just saying, if it's your dream and you are committed don't just give up see what your options are.

Let us know what the recruiter says. Work with them through the process.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 227 times
Ok so my recruiter sent the waiver down and it got denied. He also says I barely have a chance at getting into another branch. So I don't know what to do from here and neither does he. I'm trying to get help from my district congress member. Any thoughts/ and or solutions?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 AM

Your Congressman can only help you if laws, rules, or regulations were broken. Since DODI 6130.03 actually disqualifies you, you don't have a a case. MEPS didn't label you as depressed, the therapist you saw did.

There has to be more to this, did you take meds, were you suicidal or self harming, did you quit therapy against medical advice, etc?? I need more info to provide advice.

If you were to go to a therapist now, and get a clean bill of health now, it might help you get a waiver.

Depression is disqualifying if:
f. History of depressive disorders, including but not limited to major depression (296),
dysthymic disorder (300.4), and cyclothymic disorder requiring outpatient care for longer than
12 months by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40), or any
inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility.
g. Depressive disorder not otherwise specified (311), or unspecified mood disorder (296.90),
UNLESS:
(1) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 24 months (cumulative) by a
physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40). [You seem to meet this, so my guess is that your issues are not resolved]
(2) The applicant has been stable without treatment for the past 36 continuous months. [How long since treatment?]
(3) The applicant did not require any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential
facility. [Did you?]
h. History of a single adjustment disorder (309) within the previous 3 months, or recurrent
episodes of adjustment disorders.
i. Current or history of disturbance of conduct (312), impulse control (312.3), oppositional
defiant (313.81), other behavior disorders (313), or personality disorder (301).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues