Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

29 yrs military and, to be perfectly honest, the best shape of my life was when I was 50. Seriously. Even looking back at the Marine Corps basic training I went through. My head wasn't in the game. I spent 6 months in Kuwait as an Air Guardsman in 2011. We did command PT 3 times a week and I started running 5 and 10K's. I'd work out, run and play racquetball with God (He understands) every chance I got. My last fitness score was nearly perfect! Okay, now I'm bragging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 01:19 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
Does anybody know if the Air Force officer training school is similar? I am meeting with both the Navy and the Air Force.

It used to be, I don't know about now.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 PM

123 posts, read 278,389 times
WOW! come on guys. I'm 52 and can run a 5k in 22-23 minutes, and I only run three times a week! Just put in the miles Running 2 miles in 15 minutes is not that hard. Just takes a little training.

Good luck to all that are going to apply. I would start working out at least 6 months before and get a good basic level of fitness.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:30 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
WOW! come on guys. I'm 52 and can run a 5k in 22-23 minutes, and I only run three times a week! Just put in the miles Running 2 miles in 15 minutes is not that hard. Just takes a little training.

Good luck to all that are going to apply. I would start working out at least 6 months before and get a good basic level of fitness.
It is not just the PT test, you are going through basic training meaning in the Navy you are hauling all that fire fighting gear and learning stuff sailors do. In the Army and Marine Corps you are getting Infantry training and you are not given days off to recover like athletes do after a 5K race but you are back out the next day stressing another set of muscles

Old 05-17-2016, 04:38 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
............. you are not given days off to recover like athletes do after a 5K race but you are back out the next day stressing another set of muscles

I think many don't understand that part. You do a 5K run at 0600 then hit the mess. You don't eat a "square" meal and you're doing push-ups until the Instructor is tired.

A couple hours later you're in drill and someone messes up and it's sit-ups and leg lifts until that Instructor is tired.

Later in the evening you get called down to the bull pen where all the Instructors are and they PT you for a half hour or 45 minutes with a rotation of calisthenics because they can. For any reason or no reason.

At 0600 tomorrow you hit the tank for water survival training (wearing a flight suit, helmet and boots). You don't tread water correctly and your AMI is more push-ups.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:10 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Not trying more seriously to become a Naval officer when I had an opportunity to do so early in my enlisted career will always be one of my biggest regrets.

Anyways this is one of my most favorite movie scenes ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g2J...ObbREH&index=4

When I was younger and joined the Navy I was like that, I had nowhere to go, was desperate to get out of a bad family situation.

When I got older, I don't think I'd make it even a few days through something like an OCS program. Different mentality and mindset, way too spoiled and lazy and no longer had that drive and hunger to succeed in a stressful environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues