U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 PM

253 posts, read 226,959 times

Advertisements

I ride my mountain bike at least a couple times a week on Ft Ord In Monterey County Ca. A very beautiful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:02 PM

344 posts, read 411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Was stationed at NAS Adak, Alaska just before they shut it down.
I was there as a baby in ~1962 when my dad was stationed there!

Did anyone else live at Northwest Radar Station in the Chesapeake area? I was pretty young then so i don't remember much. I feel sure it's probably gone though.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 AM

14,659 posts, read 6,736,288 times
On one of my student cross-country missions in pilot training I flew into Blytheville AFB (renamed Eaker AFB) in NE Arkansas. I can't imagine being assigned there, although most of the SAC bases were pretty isolated. There is one about an hour northwest of me now, Clinton-Sherman, which closed many years before I was commissioned, that is a 13,000' runway and little else, still used as an auxiliary for training by Altus aircrews. The base housing is now private homes, but it's so isolated there's little out there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...dc9c24!6m1!1e1

Old 10-27-2018, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 2,676 times
Default The list continues

Lots of good memories from all of these locations.

Fort Devens, MA

Kimpo AFB, Korea

Fort Monmouth, NJ

Bad Aibling Station, Bad Aibling Germany

McGraw Kaserne, Munich Germany

Old 10-27-2018, 03:13 PM

4,122 posts, read 3,406,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Lived near Glenview NAS for a while. Frequent air traffic and military concerts occasionally. A friend of mine worked at the PX. Now mostly high income housing and shopping.
I actually worked very near there in the 70's and attended the occasional concerts after work. It was a great experience.

List of United States military bases in Illinois

Naval Air Station Glenview, Glenview, Illinois (Closed)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...military_bases...

Naval Air Station Glenview was a major facility in Glenview for many years. It was the host for a number of squadrons, including the Coast Guard air/sea rescue helicopter service for Chicago/Lake Michigan and a squadron of P-3 Orions which had the mission of East Coast antisubmarine warfare. The rationale for basing the squadron there was that so many reserve staff were in the central United States, and it was convenient to base the facility near the staff

Glenview, Illinois - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenvi...unty,_Illinois

Old 10-28-2018, 07:38 AM

5,835 posts, read 3,113,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymike View Post
I ride my mountain bike at least a couple times a week on Ft Ord In Monterey County Ca. A very beautiful place.
I went through Fort Ord a couple of weekends while I was a ROTC Cadet.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:09 PM

13,896 posts, read 4,138,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP105 View Post
Lots of good memories from all of these locations.

Fort Devens, MA

Kimpo AFB, Korea

Fort Monmouth, NJ

Bad Aibling Station, Bad Aibling Germany

McGraw Kaserne, Munich Germany
Grew up just outside of Ft. Monmouth , my sister retired from the Day care unit.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:59 AM

31 posts, read 10,476 times
Ft McClellan Al - Basic Training

Ft Benjamin Harrison In - AIT

Kapaun Barracks - Kaiserslautern Germany !st duty station after AIT (now an Air Force Base)

FT McPherson Ga - Duty after I left Germany

Vint Hill Farm Station Va - Worked as a civilian after I got out of Army

Old 10-29-2018, 05:33 AM

425 posts, read 204,592 times
Sullivan Barracks in Mannheim Germany and the surrounding U.S. Army's Benjamin Franklin Village for dependent family members and related services.

Sullivan Barracks housed both the 3/68th Armor Battalion and the 5/68th Armor Battalion of the 8th Infantry Division (Mech.), along with several smaller Army units. I was stationed there from 1980 to 1983... We spent way too much time in the field, but life was pretty good when you were back in garrison with the family.

I think the Army completely left the area back in the mid 2000s for good. I believe the area is now used by the German government to house many of the refugees in that country now.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:37 AM

14,659 posts, read 6,736,288 times
Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base outside of KC. It had been converted to a Reserve base when I landed an A-10 there in the late 80s, before the base was completely closed. It has been so dismantled there are hardly any signs of the base left, the runway, parking ramps and control tower are still there but they're slowly disappearing.

https://goo.gl/maps/mWgxWrJmjZQ2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues