U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 PM

335 posts, read 550,003 times

Advertisements

I agree that many do not realize what Memorial Day stands for, BUT, in America, It is the unoffical start of to Summer.More of a Celebration to the Summer Season Kick Off. Its a long weekend were people will go on vaca, have barbies etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 PM

123 posts, read 171,812 times
i had a friend who thanked me for my service last year on memorial day. i told her that is was a day to remember the dead that gave their lives and to talk to me come veterans day.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 AM

9,543 posts, read 7,541,406 times
I am also a Vietnam veteran, a volunteer in the sense that i was commissioned US Navy officer and went where I was sent. Not all wars are pointless. But that one was based on a cold war theory - the Domino Effect - that just didn't apply to the civil war over the unification of Vietnam.

I wasn't treated badly when I came home in 69. The GI bill took care of my graduate education and paid a lot of bills.

I honor those who served and those who died.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM

23,609 posts, read 29,593,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Well, there appears to be a lot of us old farts on the military thread. I, too, was a Viet Nam vet. I only wear my hat stating such in May and November, but I've never had anyone say "Happy Memorial Day." It's most often, "Thank you, for your service."

A far cry from what I heard 1965-69.

Semper Fi
Like you, my cap stays at home but for May and November and sometimes July. Also like you, and especially where we now live, "Thank you for your service." is the most common reaction now. It's a far cry from decades ago and I'm grateful for the change. Life and time move on!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
I know that I am a year late on this post, but I was just having this conversation and did a google search to see what kinds of things came up. I am a combat veteran from Operation Iraqi Freedom. I like and agree with a lot of things that people on here posted. I too get annoyed when they say this but I, like others, just chalk it up to the cluelessness of people. I do take the time, if I happen to come across someone who says Happy Memorial Day, to try to politely educate and correct them. My approach is generally that while I appreciate their well wishes, today is a day to remember those that we lost and while I sit home quietly and drink a beer or two to my battle buddies that were lost, I am far from happy. That usually will cause an open mouth insert foot moment for the person and I feel that I have helped enlighten one more person. Thanks for the post and to all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice Thanks You!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM

30,677 posts, read 17,382,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm not a Veteran, but my significant other and several people close to me are. But on their behalf, and out of respect for all vets, living and dead, I get really annoyed at the ignorant people who say "Happy Memorial Day."
I have family member who has lost somebody in military service. I know there are two things I say really bother him "You are a hero." "Happy Memorial day." My brother has never made it a big deal because he knew I didn't say things out of callousness. I just didn't know any better.

I guess I just wanted my brother to be happy in general. I thought memorial day associated with military, so It is natural for me to say Happy Memorial day to him. I just like many civilians, never bothered to learn the true meaning of memorial day. I've taken a lot of things for granted.

It is when I lost two friends in battle field, I've gained a new perspective on THAT particular Memorial day. I STILL don't know what to say to veterans on Memorial day. I try to say "have a peaceful day, I am thinking of you." People seem to be okay with this. I guess I've learned to listen more, talk less. Give others a shoulder for them to cry on. That is all I can do.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:53 PM

553 posts, read 706,001 times
"Vets, how do you feel or react when people say "Happy Memorial Day"?

It's become a platitude. How do you feel about platitudes?

A Co. !st. Bat. 173rd Airborne
Viet Nam

Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 AM

175 posts, read 253,866 times
As I said in my other post on a different thread, I don't have an issue with it. I've said Happy Memorial Day to others and if someone says it to me, I just say it right back. I haven't seen any other military person over here have an issue with it (I know there are people in the military who don't like that, I'm just saying there are also plenty of us who are fine with it). For me, I prefer to honor those sacrifices by celebrating their lives instead of walking around solemnly and so by saying Happy Memorial Day I don't see it as disrespect but rather that we're remembering the great things those who have died accomplished. I also don't really see the problem with being excited for a 3 or 4 day weekend. I guarantee there are plenty of military personnel who are also excited to have an extra day off even if they're also remembering those who lost their lives at the same time. I know over here we had ceremonies and what not but there were also plenty of us who wished we were home at the BBQs and boat trips.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:59 AM

35,015 posts, read 37,638,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's almost natural that those who don't have a military background personally or in their family would think 3-day weekend and party time
Living in military housing, I have observed this to be commonplace with service members as well, to be fair. Plenty of parties, here. Our installation actually didn't do a parade, not even a small ceremony or observance (something I always attend). I was stunned and taken aback by that. My small hometown, which has no military presence, does a better job of respectfully honoring the day than this base did. Kind of odd.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:51 AM

16,640 posts, read 9,017,330 times
I'm not going to get annoyed by someone who is trying to do the right thing.

Plenty of people who intentionally do the wrong thing to be annoyed about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues