U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 AM

1,402 posts, read 839,150 times

Advertisements

Happy Memorial Day does bother me. It seems that many people think Memorial Day is an extra Veterans Day. They don't realize it is a day set aside to honor war dead. It used to be called Decoration Day, a day to decorate the graves. So many don't have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 AM

16,640 posts, read 9,017,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Happy Memorial Day does bother me. It seems that many people think Memorial Day is an extra Veterans Day. They don't realize it is a day set aside to honor war dead. It used to be called Decoration Day, a day to decorate the graves. So many don't have a clue.
I listened to a report from a former Vietcong general in Vietnam who complained that young Vietnamese don't know anything about the war. They think all those clusters of round 50-foot fishponds were always just fish ponds.

Cluelessness abounds.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:18 PM

919 posts, read 952,613 times
Having lost friends in Beirut, Iraq, and other hostile actions around the Globe, it does bother me to hear someone say "Happy Memorial Day." But I can't really blame them, because Memorial Day long ago became "the unofficial start of Summer" and might as well be called National Barbeque Day.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:29 PM

4,479 posts, read 7,616,776 times
I'll tell others to enjoy their Memorial Day weekend or "enjoy the weekend". It is in fact their weekend to do as they please. Some of them will choose to honor those that have fallen and others won't even give them a thought and it will just be a day off. Regardless what someone chooses to do on Memorial Day I do hope they enjoy and have a happy Memorial Day weekend.

I stop to remember the fallen at some point on Memorial Day but that doesn't mean I mope around all weekend refusing to be happy. My family and I can remember and enjoy the weekend as well.

It certainly doesn't bother this vet to hear "Happy Memorial Day". Lots of Memorial Day parades around the country that are happy events.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 8,619 times
I currently serve, but in full disclosure I have not deployed in combat and have not personally known anyone killed or seriously injured in combat.

That being said, it doesn't bother me. I serve so that my fellow citizens can live the lives they want to live. Not so that they can get all solemn once a year thinking about the folks that made it possible for them to live the lives they want to live.

Now if they do something overtly disrespectful, that's another story. But saying "Happy Memorial Day" and holding a BBQ and having a few beers to kick off the summer season...doesn't bother me.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 AM

6 posts, read 10,912 times
hello

i am a former Marine served in the Viet Nam war, it is sometimes hard to deal with issues that the civilians bring to the table, and your own feelings I know, I went into the Marines at the tender age of 17, when I graduated from High School.

I came out of West Virginia a naive farm boy, wanting to serve his country. and was in the Nam by the time I was 18, noble ideas don;t compare to live bullets coming at you. But, here is I believe the thing i feel is in every service man and womans heart, we are taught from childhood, not to kill, not to have a desire to take someones life from them, we are taught is morally wrong, religiously wrong and that you must be insane to desire such a thing,

However, once you have entered the service this all changes, now it is man up, your not a baby, here is a weapon, use it, when you do use it, in the name of your country you have killed someone, you have taken someones son, brother, father, sister, mother, you have ended their dreams, their hopes, that has always bothered me it has weighed on my mind for almost 50 years now. Oh, I know all the standard answers you were fighting for your country falling orders, on and on,

that doesn't take away their faces, or the fact, I have no moral objection to killing someone who is threatening my families or friends life, or my own, and yes the persons killed were trying to kill me, following the orders they were given, fighting for their country, that is why I have no hatred for them, most civilians never know the price that is paid for them to have the right to complain, the right to have that BBQ, most never think about the thankless job the service men and women of are country do every day, they only see that we get veterans benefits, free schooling pensions and compensation, they never saw are wifes and families on welfare while we served , they never experienced the constant pressure and stress to you and your family, thankfully most people do see it, they do know and respect what you have done, in hopes those who talk the loudest, the ones who complain, who never served anyone but themselves are the minority, at least I hope, as for me and you, we have to keep our own council, we have to live with the wounds, the purple hearts, the deaths of enemies and friends, the nightmares the honors , the good and the bad, hoping our wives, girlfriends, friends and family understand that we are not the same persons that left and came back, when they don't understand it is a horror story of pain and hurt, when they do, then you have that little bit of shelter to catch your breath in, the best to you my brother, the movies were actually right about that, we, you me and every man and women who served , who is serving and will ever serve , we are a band of brothers

jay

Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 10,912 times
As a follow up on this let me say, that i heard this one time, that we who served have more in common with the enemies that we fought than those now around us here at home, probably a sad but true fact,

However much to peoples belief, I never popped a cap on any kid or fired on any women, I disarmed a few and sent one packing with a very red bottom, i disarmed her and spanked her bottom for her and sent her home, I hope she made it through the insanity of Viet Nam, I would like to go back one day and have her meet me in the airport there, I wished her luck back then and still do now.

Just remember you can believe in what you want, good bad or in between, We who serve. have served and will serve give you that right and protect it with our lives if need be, Memorial day is just that a day to remember all that who have died, so have your BBQ drink you beers, have one for us, eat your dogs and enjoy your freedom, it was earned for you

In loving memory of all who served with me, before me and after me on all sides, for my enemies you made me a better man, showed me courage and valor, for my friends thank you for sharing your lives with me, eating the same dirt, sharing the same water, and to you whom we protect, god bless you, remember us in your prayers, because we remembered you.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,436 times
Default Memorial Day

I am a Veteran and so was my father, grandfather, and so on. I do not mind people saying happy Memorial Day. Memorial Day is a day to remember those who gave it all to defend our great country. The ones who are no longer walking amongst us. The ones who can't spend the holidays with their families. The ones who were not able to hug their loved ones at a homecoming. With that being said a few of my comrades share the sentiments with each other on Memorial Day. To me saying happy Memorial Day from one vet to another or even by a civilian is more like a 'celebrate the memory'. So on Memorial Day celebrate the memory of the Veteran who gave their all. Encourage or at least allow their loved ones to recall the fond memories and talk about them. Instead of being upset about the word 'happy' being placed in front of Memorial Day focus on the reason behind it. Remember and celebrate the lives of the people who gave it all for our country.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:55 AM

16,640 posts, read 9,017,330 times
I don't think I've ever had anyone say "Happy Memorial Day" to me. That takes a rather high level of cluelessness...most people understand there is nothing "happy" about a memorial. I may get a "thanks for your service," and I don't mind that.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:31 AM

8,221 posts, read 4,393,259 times
Take it the same way I believed when we would say "Good Morning, Sir" to our JROTC instructor and he would say, "What's so good about it?"

One is wishing them to have a good or a happy day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues