U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,577 times

Advertisements

In my family memorials are a combination of happy and sad times. We play games, eat, tell stories and jokes about the person who has passed on. It's a day of remembrance. I've had friends, vets, who lost their lives on the field, during training, and suicide. Glad to have a day to celebrate their sacrifice. Happy I'm not the only one going through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:44 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,061,791 times
I don't recall ever having someone say that to me? Is it really a thing?

Old 05-21-2015, 10:16 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,571,192 times
if the ones who say it are like I was till recently they are ignorant of what it means .. I actually got the day mixed up with veterans day .. I guess it`s ok to say happy veterans day isn't it .. but I will not say happy memorial day anymore ...

Old 05-21-2015, 01:19 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,311,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
if the ones who say it are like I was till recently they are ignorant of what it means .. I actually got the day mixed up with veterans day .. I guess it`s ok to say happy veterans day isn't it .. but I will not say happy memorial day anymore ...
Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever had anyone come up to me and say "Happy Memorial Day" or "Happy Veteran's Day". Generally, I get "Thank you for your service".

As a side note, I really don't mind people saying anything to me on Memorial Day. The individual means well with their thought and to me, that is all that matters.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 AM

41,506 posts, read 49,220,422 times
I generally smile and say thank you while thinking they have absolutely no idea of what it means to go to war. Some times I just raise a glass to all the guys that died for their country and realize most of them did not have a clue either.

Fighting for your country is one thing but fighting for the rights of some corporation, some foreign owned, to loot the resources of a far off land for their own profit is quite another.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:40 AM

17,643 posts, read 9,622,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You were the one who said you like to wear your uniform off base. That's not humility, that's shame.

Don't worry about getting the "accolades" of a Navy SEAL--you won't, not from anyone who knows the difference, and from those who don't know the difference, it doesn't matter.
Correction: You were the one who said you did not like to wear your uniform off base. That's not humility, that's shame.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:33 PM

17,643 posts, read 9,622,668 times
I do not see a military officer who doesn't want to wear the uniform as anything like respectable.

I do not see a military officer who is "uncomfortable" seen in his uniform as anything like respectable.

In no way does that show respect for the men and women who have died in that uniform, it is disrespectable to them. Have you ever told anyone who has actually been in combat that you feel uncomfortable wearing their uniform in public?

Old 05-22-2015, 03:30 PM

3,181 posts, read 4,171,756 times
I guess some people just want to find something to get offended over.

It's not often I make stops before/after work off post. I don't really care for the attention because that's not what I'm doing it for.

Only privates out of basic and those trolling for discounts go around after duty in uniform.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:53 PM

29,589 posts, read 47,148,870 times
Quote:
You were the one who said you like to wear your uniform off base. That's not humility, that's shame.
During my AD career, I was stationed in areas where we were under orders NOT to wear uniform off-base.

I have also been stationed in places where it was not advised, but you could if you wanted to. At the time, it was fairly common to see civilians harassing military personnel.

Today I only wear a dress uniform to funerals and sometimes to the Veteran's Day parade.

I served for years, in places stateside where I was forbidden from wearing a uniform off-base. 'Shame' had nothing to do with it. Hateful POS civilians was the tune of the day. I have been harassed by local cops for it too. That was long before Desert Storm #1 when civilians decided to begin acting as if they liked their military.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM

29,589 posts, read 47,148,870 times
Quote:
... no way does that show respect for the men and women who have died in that uniform, it is disrespectable to them. Have you ever told anyone who has actually been in combat that you feel uncomfortable wearing their uniform in public?
Civilians throwing beer bottles at servicemembers is a big show of their 'respect'. That has been the 'respect' that POS civilians have shown me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues